+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Data transfer from large excel spreadsheet in Technical; I have been asked to transfer all our PIPS. KS1, KS2 and MidYs results from EXCEL into SIMS (and then ...

Thank Post

SIMS Data transfer from large excel spreadsheet

I have been asked to transfer all our PIPS. KS1, KS2 and MidYs results from EXCEL into SIMS (and then make it available in Discover). I have tried to follow the method given in the SIMS information but nothing gets transferred. Has anyone else previoulsy done this and might suggest what i am doing wrong or what the correct method might be?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi,
    not sure what the method in SIMs information is but this is what I do:
    1 create a marksheet template containing all of the required aspects in the same order as the Excel sheet.
    2 create mark sheet for relevant group of students
    3 export the formatted marksheet
    4 copy data from Excel to formatted marksheet making sure students are correct etc.
    5 use Routines>Data In>Assessment>Import from Spreadsheet to import the formatted spreadsheet.

It works with lots of columns but I would split the data up to make it manageable.

3. Thanks to number34 from:

neil27 (7th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 816 Posts
    Using the "Routines > Data In > Assessment > Import from Spreadsheet" method should work for CSV files, but you'll have to make sure your data is valid for the aspects you match them up to. For instance, you can't upload a grade in to a marks-decimal aspect, and any grades you do upload must be available in the gradeset associated with the selected aspect.

Also, if you are using result sets, make sure you select the correct one when matching aspects to columns in your CSV, otherwise hey won't show up in your marksheet.

I use this method a lot so I suspect there is some problem with the data you're trying to upload as opposed to the problem lying with SIMS itself.

5. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Thank Post
    Neil,
    in the light of LosOjos post I should emphasise that by using a formatted spreadsheet you remove the problems associated with matching columns when importing as all of information required is already in the sheet.
    Last edited by number34; 7th January 2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo

7. Thanks to number34 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Using the "Routines > Data In > Assessment > Import from Spreadsheet" method should work for CSV files, but you'll have to make sure your data is valid for the aspects you match them up to. For instance, you can't upload a grade in to a marks-decimal aspect, and any grades you do upload must be available in the gradeset associated with the selected aspect.

Also, if you are using result sets, make sure you select the correct one when matching aspects to columns in your CSV, otherwise hey won't show up in your marksheet.

I use this method a lot so I suspect there is some problem with the data you're trying to upload as opposed to the problem lying with SIMS itself.
    setting the proper result set was giving me fits when I first started importing data in...now it's one of the first things I check

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tombry View Post
    setting the proper result set was giving me fits when I first started importing data in...now it's one of the first things I check
    Yeah it can be a nightmare at first, especially as not all schools use them the same way. Here, we strictly use result sets to identify results (e.g. Y11 Check 1, Y9 Check 5 etc.) but some schools use date ranges to identify results... the key is finding a method that works for you and sticking with it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread