+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS install for new Image in Technical; Hi all, I'm looking at creating a new image for the schools machines in the new year, the only thing ...

Thank Post

SIMS install for new Image

Hi all,

I'm looking at creating a new image for the schools machines in the new year, the only thing I'm a little puzzled with is the installation of SIMS, I've never worked in a school or used it before really, how do I go about insatalling SIMS on a client machine and configuring it.
    Is it just a case of navigating to the server were the software is installed and running a setup file or what?

I know I could probably google this but I prefer to ask those who do it day in and day out.

Cheers in advance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nowadays, SIMS .net is deployed using Solus 3. It's not straightforward and rarely works on the first pass however, it usually gets to all the machines eventually....

3. Thanks to winng from:

lquinnuk (18th December 2012)

Thank Post
    In the sims shared drive (normally s then sims folder, then setups folder, then its SIMSINST.exe

I dont know if your folder structure is the same mind, my 4 schools are all the same but they have all been setup by the same LEA!

Edit: this is for solus 2 btw.

5. Thanks to DSapseid from:

lquinnuk (18th December 2012)

Thank Post
    If you got SOLUS3 make sure that the agent is not included in the image.
    If you do it will cause a heck of a load of problems.

SIMS .net\FMS modules can be included in the image no bother.
    Just make sure that the connect.ini, fmsconnect.ini and SIMS.ini are all correct before you include them in the image.

If you want to just install SIMS .net and FMS and not include them in an image, just run SIMSINST.exe (for SIMS .net) and FMSINSt.exe (for FMS).
    Just have a correct copy of the connect.ini and fmsconnect.ini to put into the SIMS .net and FMSSQL folders after the installation.
    (SIMS.ini not required as the inst.exe's will create that and fill it in)

These installers should be in your Capita drive (ours is S: ) in a folder called Setups.
    Last edited by Ghostgame; 18th December 2012 at 05:50 PM.

7. Thanks to Ghostgame from:

lquinnuk (19th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    If you got SOLUS3 make sure that the agent is not included in the image.
    If you do it will cause a heck of a load of problems.

SIMS .net\FMS modules can be included in the image no bother.
    Just make sure that the connect.ini, fmsconnect.ini and SIMS.ini are all correct before you include them in the image.

If you want to just install SIMS .net and FMS and not include them in an image, just run SIMSINST.exe (for SIMS .net) and FMSINSt.exe (for FMS).
    Just have a correct copy of the connect.ini and fmsconnect.ini to put into the SIMS .net and FMSSQL folders after the installation.
    (SIMS.ini not required as the inst.exe's will create that and fill it in)

These installers should be in your Capita drive (ours is S: ) in a folder called Setups.
    Hello! I'm after doing the same thing but when i open SIMS after installing it brings up a notice saying it cannot connect to SIMS.ini. I've had a look for it but all i can find is a connect.ini file in the SIMS folder NOT in the SIMS Setup folder... am i missing something? If I want to uninstall SIMS and re-install- how do i do that? Can't see it in the ADD / REMOVE Programs list...

We're running server 2008 R2.

Thank Post
    If you are using SOLUS3, don't even bother putting SIMS .net or FMS6 into the image. Once a PC is built with your image and live on the network, add the new device into the SIMS Workstations channel in SOLUS3 and it will automatically install the SIMS client for you once the SOLUS3 agent has been installed and comes online. The same goes for FMS too.

Down the line, if you have an old version of SIMS on the image, you will still need to add the new devices to SOLUS3 but it may not automatically upgrade it straight away unless you manually trigger the upgrade deployment to it.

Manual install is like others have said, run SIMSInst.exe from (usually) S:\SIMS\Setups. Follow the on screen instructions and you can't go wrong. For FMS, run FMSInst.exe (usually) in S:\SIMS\Setups\FMS. Both installs will cover any prerequisits missing like .Net 4, Adobe Reader, SQL Native Client etc.
    Last edited by Rawns; 24th January 2013 at 08:39 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Hello! I'm after doing the same thing but when i open SIMS after installing it brings up a notice saying it cannot connect to SIMS.ini. I've had a look for it but all i can find is a connect.ini file in the SIMS folder NOT in the SIMS Setup folder... am i missing something? If I want to uninstall SIMS and re-install- how do i do that? Can't see it in the ADD / REMOVE Programs list...

We're running server 2008 R2.
    the SIMS.INI gets created in C:\WINDOWS when SIMS .net is installed. If you don't have admin permissions/full write permissions (or if UAC is enabled on Win 7), this file may not get created successfully.

There is no uninstaller for SIMS either which is great. To reinstall, delete or rename the C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net folder then re-run the SIMSInst.exe from S:\SIMS\Setups. If you use SOLUS3, you will need to manually redeploy the SIMS Workstation component of the latest upgrade form the Deployment Server.

11. Thanks to Rawns from:

Smed (28th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all input on this thread..
    I’ve just managed to successfully install it onto a workstation....
    1st attempt failed, but after removing all files and sims.ini file (in c:/windows!)
    then disable UAC it installed without a hiccup
    THANKS!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts
    After install make sure you run SIMS and configure the connect.ini if it asks. It's easily forgotten if making multiple images, just assuming its fine after install works on one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    After install make sure you run SIMS and configure the connect.ini if it asks. It's easily forgotten if making multiple images, just assuming its fine after install works on one.
    The latest SIMSInst appears to create it automatically now.

It redirects to the SIMS Folder path specified when the SIMSInst.exe installer has been ran. This is where we (and I assume most people) keep their master Connect.ini file. Not sure if it's intelligent enough though to check if a connect.ini is in there or not, and if it's not, not create one automatically.

Still best to check though by running SIMS .net after it's been installed.

...unless you use SOLUS 3 where it should push out the conenct.ini specified in the UI.
    Last edited by Rawns; 28th January 2013 at 08:58 AM.

15. Thanks to Rawns from:

vikpaw (28th January 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread