+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
MIS Systems Thread, Brand New School, which MIS? in Technical; Originally Posted by CAM but not free Maybe... Bedford have free licenses, but they don't use SIMS. LA might have ...
  1. #31

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,338
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 619 Times in 506 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    but not free
    Maybe... Bedford have free licenses, but they don't use SIMS. LA might have spare licenses if say a school closures or converts to an academy (assuming your an LA school), either way, you might just have to pay the annual maintainance. I'm sure someone will correct me shortly

    Cambridgeshire host SIMS for most of their schools, it works really well from what I've heard (both from the end-users at the school and the LA). The benefit too is lets say the internet pipe gets damaged and it's going to be months before it can be repaired, you can move the database onto the local schools server. I think this point is key.

  2. #32

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,938
    Thank Post
    359
    Thanked 354 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    The benefit too is lets say the internet pipe gets damaged and it's going to be months before it can be repaired, you can move the database onto the local schools server. I think this point is key.
    We can all do that mate

    I say all, I know we can!

  3. #33

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,338
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 619 Times in 506 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Not 100% sure how easy it would be. I understand it's a single database rather then SIMS which is a database for each school entity, so not sure how easy it would be to cut it out into a separate database. Also how to sync it to the master - ie B2B. Be interested to find out - from a geeky point of view.

  4. #34

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,938
    Thank Post
    359
    Thanked 354 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Not 100% sure how easy it would be. I understand it's a single database rather then SIMS which is a database for each school entity, so not sure how easy it would be to cut it out into a separate database. Also how to sync it to the master - ie B2B. Be interested to find out - from a geeky point of view.
    The extraction process is, from our guys perspective, easy, as the database fields are tagged and related, and processes have be built to identify every piece of information required to extract.

    As for the syncing, think that is a 1-2-1 conversation

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    876
    Thank Post
    381
    Thanked 113 Times in 73 Posts
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Don't just jump straight for SIMS - that would be illegal..
    Could you please expand?I thought you should only tender if the value if over a certain threshold which is very high (a lot higher than SIMS would cost?).

  6. #36

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,524
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    Could you please expand?I thought you should only tender if the value if over a certain threshold which is very high (a lot higher than SIMS would cost?).
    No? You can tender at whatever level you want - you're the one buying. We've tendered for 1000 worth of work before here, due to politics over the companies involved wanting to accuse everyone of impropriety.

    My last school had a 5000 tender level.

  7. #37

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,938
    Thank Post
    359
    Thanked 354 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    172
    I think the word tender is a little general in this context. You still need to look at 3 quotes, regardless.

  8. #38
    DavKellyPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Studley, Warwickshire
    Posts
    6
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Hello all,

    Quick disclaimer - I work for Arbor! Just to pitch in quickly, I think that deciding on an MIS is just about asking the right questions - making sure that your school's unique needs are fulfilled as far as possible. We've created an unbiased 'questions to ask any supplier' document to help free schools with the decision, which I'm happy to share with anybody.

    Dave

  9. #39

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,843
    Thank Post
    671
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by DavKellyPro View Post
    Hello all,

    Quick disclaimer - I work for Arbor! Just to pitch in quickly, I think that deciding on an MIS is just about asking the right questions - making sure that your school's unique needs are fulfilled as far as possible. We've created an unbiased 'questions to ask any supplier' document to help free schools with the decision, which I'm happy to share with anybody.

    Dave
    Sounds good Dave, can you send me a copy please, and we can drop a version onto the sticky thread which has similar resources.

  10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

    DavKellyPro (9th January 2013)

  11. #40
    DavKellyPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Studley, Warwickshire
    Posts
    6
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    No worries - the DfE have been giving it to free schools to use when speaking to suppliers, but it would come in handy for any school looking for a new MIS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Brand new school, advice please!
    By Whingefree in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 4th May 2012, 10:34 AM
  2. Brand new school, advice please!
    By Whingefree in forum Learning Network Manager
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st May 2012, 10:01 AM
  3. Brand new school, advice please!
    By Whingefree in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st May 2012, 10:01 AM
  4. Brand new school - ICT suite desking options?
    By gcsouth in forum Recommended Suppliers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th December 2007, 03:08 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16th June 2007, 06:42 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •