+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Brand New School, which MIS? in Technical; Originally Posted by skunk @ localzuk I wish I had known that SIMS was illegal years ago Thanks for the ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skunk View Post
    @localzuk I wish I had known that SIMS was illegal years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone, unfortunately/thankfully it is not my choice, but my advice has been sought. The person asking thought they would go for SIMS "as we get it for free don't we?"

Ta.
    Erm, maybe at a reduced price via the LA if they have bulk licencing but not free and certainly not if you are changing to academy status any time soon! That's some wishful thinking!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Is anyone truly happy with their MIS and would go for nothing else?
    In the history of the world there has only ever been one person that could fit this description, but he retired recently.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

GREED (18th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    In the history of the world there has only ever been one person that could fit this description, but he retired recently.
    I miss Mike!

Thank Post
    I WANT to be that guy, happy with my MIS, but alas that is not currently the case............ :-(

Thank Post
    I WANT to be that guy, happy with my MIS, but alas that is not currently the case............ :-(
    @GREED I was going to call you last month for a demo, then our Internet connection went down...............for a day. The thought of not having access to our MIS for a day has sent my thoughts scurrying back to upgrading our server kit.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One critical component for any cloud-based business critical application is not in the application itself, but in having a tried and tested failsafe Internet connection as a just in case measure. This applies to everything from Aspen to Google Docs.

Of course, this doesn't always make it to the planning stage or written off as an "unecessary" expense!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    One critical component for any cloud-based business critical application is not in the application itself, but in having a tried and tested failsafe Internet connection as a just in case measure. This applies to everything from Aspen to Google Docs.!
    I cannot stress how important it is to ensure that you're infrastructure suits the purpose.
    In our case it's less bandwidth and more resiliency.
    The data packets transferred are small but at peak times there are a LOT of them.

So we always recommend that redundancies are in place.
    That includes on "our" (the MIS providers) side as well.

Last thing you want to happen if you go Cloud based is to find that your school connection is all running fine but the datacentre has gone down.
    Response times, Disaster Recovery and contingencies should be checked for inclusion in the contract/SLA with your prosepctive supplier.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    @GREED I was going to call you last month for a demo, then our Internet connection went down...............for a day. The thought of not having access to our MIS for a day has sent my thoughts scurrying back to upgrading our server kit.
    Could you not consider putting in a backup ADSL Line and then feed that to staff via a second proxy setup? That is what we have setup and can change over to ADSL should things fail allowing access back to the cloud for staff this was all put in as part of our planning for the move to the Serco Progresso Cloud MIS.

Thank Post
    Ask about self-host options i'm sure the extra you'd pay for install / support would balance the effort and money of a redundant 'net setup, though you might want one anyway to cater for increasing external users.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone have room for a small datacentre on campus?

Although, with all these cloud technologies cropping up I wonder if anyone has approached LEA's about hosting them internally for the whole county/borough? I was involved with that for SLG at one point before I moved on.

Thank Post
    SIMS have a hosted options and some LAs do host. For a single site, you can just host your own, it's no different to having a non-cloud solution in house and then whacking your own sharepoint on the front!

Thank Post
    Hi @john, have considered it, but what if the local exchange goes down...........We may talk to our ISP to see what they can offer.

On the other hand, BT are installing superfast fibre broadband in the next couple of years, so maybe they can offer an alternative.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi @john, have considered it, but what if the local exchange goes down...........We may talk to our ISP to see what they can offer.

On the other hand, BT are installing superfast fibre broadband in the next couple of years, so maybe they can offer an alternative.
    You can only reasonably prepare for downtime. Most exchanges have very little downtime. What downtime would your own server have, if you hosted it onsite? Or power outages? etc...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok let me wade in here and answer some excellent points made!

I think it is worth us having a chat still as there are several options open to you, contingencies and the likes that might mitigate such issues. Upgrading the internet line, having at least one redundancy there is critical for schools these days, not just for MIS but for general day to day use, email, VLE etc etc.

One critical component for any cloud-based business critical application is not in the application itself, but in having a tried and tested failsafe Internet connection as a just in case measure. This applies to everything from Aspen to Google Docs.
    +1 for that! It is the way everything is going now, including the use of VDUs throughout schools up and down the country, so even more is taken away from the local school.

Anyone have room for a small datacentre on campus?
    Whole datacentre is a bit much, just a couple of higher end servers will do us nicely...

Although, with all these cloud technologies cropping up I wonder if anyone has approached LEA's about hosting them internally for the whole county/borough? I was involved with that for SLG at one point before I moved on.
    *cough* *cough* *smiles* just keep watching

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts

True, but as someone else has said what if you get a campus power-cut your in a similar position just a different type of issue unless you put large UPS's on all electric in the building so whatever we do with The Cloud you have to accept some element of risk.

Also I would think with the Internet angle your connection will be on different kit if you used ADSL as a backup in the exchange so that could give some resilience still doesn't stop some dodgy contractor digging up your car-park taking out the duct work to site and all the copper and fibre to the buildings so you have a risk then of that.

We felt that the ADSL link gave us the confidence we needed, we will retain basic emergency contact details for students on the yellow pupil folders locked up for real emergency's but everything else was fine in the cloud, it was accessible off mobile phones and is fully tested on any modern mobile phone and as we have 3 or 4 contract phones in school already felt should an emergency need it we would use them and exceed the data allowance but in an emergency more £ to EE for data isn't going to be the end of the world if it means the difference between life and death.

Someone said bout LA's hosting, yep that has always been on the list of options for Serco Progresso that LAs could look at hosting it within the LA Data Centres if they wished, don't know if that has launched to them but they have always said for those that wanted it would be available for LAs to host, so if your part of your RBC / LA WAN provision that could be a good tool but as many schools look elsewhere and LA's dispand WAN provision for various reasons not for debating on this thread such options may look less and less favorable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast