+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIM's Reports in Technical; Is their a way of extracting the Information held in SIM's Marksheets in a report and not Individual Reports so ...
    Thank Post

SIM's Reports

Is their a way of extracting the Information held in SIM's Marksheets in a report and not Individual Reports so in essence design a Report that could Extract all of my Report Grades for Year 7 exporting this info from the Marksheet wouldn't work as I would need it as a report I could design. I have had a look at Designing the Report but can't easily see where to add the information from the Marksheets if this is feasible.

The reason I want it in a Report is I want to use CommandReporter to extract this info, I have had a look at a couple of the Threads on this but can't easily see if it is feasible to extract the Aspects held on the Marksheets this way.

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    yes it is possible, but you need to have lots of filters to make it pull back a finite subset of data. i have a couple of reports that bring back the 'result' field, for specific subject named aspects linked to user selectable resultsets. we use it for proof reading. is that the sort of thing you were thinking of..?

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Steven_Cleaver (5th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi Vikpaw that sounds like it I am just having difficulty in finding the right fields to get the results out I can get the Aspect names out but am having difficulty getting the right Fields to display the data for these and get your bit about filtering is their any chance you can point us in the right direction with the fields I need to include in the report to get the Results out.

Thank Post
    Hi Vikpaw had another dig around in SIM's reports from what you said and I think I can now see where to get this but looks like a bit of work creating these to extract the information I need, thanks again.

Thank Post
    Hi Steven,

I don't know if this is something specific to our school, but I have noticed that including multiple assessment result sub-reports makes them run incredibly slowly! Not only that, I find that if I have any more than 3 or 4 the report will just hang or SIMS will crash. For this reason I try to avoid adding assessment fields into SIMS reports. However, I can see why this is your only option here!

Be wary of results with no result set, as you may find multiple results coming through. The 'display first result only' tick box in the sub reports filter may come in handy here (or filtering the subreport by result date might be more effective.

7. Thanks to Ecclesbury from:

Steven_Cleaver (5th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi Ecclesbury

The first couple I ran were a bit slow as I was including a lot of stuff I didn't need but when I reduced this they are still a bit slow but running these on another machine so it doesn't effect the other stuff I am doing, didn't crash though but our SIM's Server and my machine are reasonably Hig Spec. Thanks for the tip display first result for the sub reports learning more as I go along.

Thank Post
    i would go for filtering the sub-table. pulling in only the first result is random, and likely that you want them all, i.e. the results!

Thank Post
    Cheers Vikpaw with the help of our LEA I have got it to show the Grades for our Inteim reports so now know what I am after is feasible but just need to play with the filters and order to get it to display the right info and not to show multiple data multiple times just need to work how to best structure this.

Thank Post
    yes, that's the thing, it's very easy to end up with a cross product, and then nothing lines up well. sometimes you just have to dump to Excel and ask it to remove dupes.

Thank Post
    Your right playing with this it is difficult to get it out how you want so am thinking of getting it out in as clean as format as possible might need multiple reports for the amount of data I am extracting and for its various uses then possibly use VBA or Visual Studio to clean up the sheet and extract the data from the sheet so have it is in the format I want, then when I have this working use Command Line Reporter scripted and scheduled to automate the Report Extraction. To be honest what I am after is automating our data analysis from the marksheets at the moment takes us about a day and a half to produce the Analysis for a year and obviously if groups\classes changed this is out of data but if I can automate the extraction can virtually make this live at most a day behind as I would probably update every evening.

My issue is we are starting to use our data in school much more heavily from Analysis of pupil progress to Staff performance to Department Performance to Whole School Performance and using these to target our intervention strategies, students, departments and whole school using the schools Qualty Assurance system so need the data we are using to be up to date and as accuarte as possible as we are now heavily reliant on this.

I'll try and document this as I go in case it is useful to anyone else.

Thank Post
    Have you thought of using Discover..? It won't do everything, but may shed some of the reliance on exported numbers.
    I have heard of some systems, where the data is shipped over to another SQL instance or Access even, then analysis is produced linked to this secondary data source. so you can have semi-live links / analysis.

Thank Post
    I have had a go with Discover but it doesn't give me quite what we want although as it develops this may change, I am also sort of looking as you say at shipping over to another SQL instance or using Access and connecting creating ODBC data source instance to extract data only and might to be honest use multiple methods as different methods may suite what we want to extract and how we want to use it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread