+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Security on the SIMS share in Technical; We've just had a new SIMS server fitted and while the LEA are sorting out most of it, I need ...

Thank Post

Security on the SIMS share

We've just had a new SIMS server fitted and while the LEA are sorting out most of it, I need to do the integration into our network.

The new server is standalone, not on the domain (is that how it should be? thats what they recommend) so I need to work out how to set security on the S:\ drive share.

Previously the old server was on the domain, so I simply had a SIMS users security group given permission to read and execute on that folder. Then we just added any teachers to that group

Now though, because it isnt even joined to the domain, I cant add anything except local groups obviously.

Its probably quite simple but my brain is just blank - how do I do it?? Apart from having the share open to everyone (not what I will be doing) I cant think of a way they can access it without being prompted for credentials

It would be somewhat less of a problem if we had a curriculum and admin network but we dont, we just have one.

Is there an easy way round this or should our SIMS server be a domain member anyway?

I apologise for the basic questions, I really am a novice when it comes to anything to do with SIMS

Thank Post

Re: Security on the SIMS share

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know what the security permissions should be on the S:\ drive? Currently it is set as SIMS users (only certain members of staff) as having modify permissions 8O
    It was put in long before I started but I dont know if it will break it if I just give SIMS users read/execute - surely the SQL database handles all that?

Anyway sidewinder, if you want granular security then you're perhaps better off making that a member server, otherwise everyone will have to have a seperate logon I'd have thought.

Thank Post

Just checked ours and we have the same thing, the SIMS users group has modify and write permission - something that predates me as well

Thanks then, I will ask the guy when he comes back if its OK to put it on the domain. We've never had any problems before with it being on there.
    I think in their opinion it makes it less secure as its part of the same network the students use, but in my opinion it makes it more secure since I can lock it down centrally in the same way as my other servers

Thank Post

I moved ours on to the domain years ago and it's far more secure.

Plus if you want to use Windows Authentication to let your users log in it'll need to be on the domain.

HBJB

Thank Post

Join it to the domain.

Who suggested it should be outside the domain ?
    I suppose (in theory) you could create a trust level towards the domain, but, why.... ?

We have a domain user group called "SIMS Staff", which has full control to the Sims share.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by User3204
    We have a domain user group called "SIMS Staff", which has full control to the Sims share.
    Same here.. is that best practice/the recommended way?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread