+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Solus 2 to Solus 3 Upgrade in Technical; Hi all, Our current system server is still running on the old solus 2 software so we are looking to ...

Thank Post

Solus 2 to Solus 3 Upgrade

Hi all,

Our current system server is still running on the old solus 2 software so we are looking to upgrade to solus 3.

Any advice before jumping into the upgrade would be most appreciated, so we can keep the process as smooth as possiable.

Thanks Tom

Thank Post
    My nervous twitch has returned just from seeing the thread title

Thank Post
    I'm taking from that, this process might not be as smooth as I had hoped for...

Thank Post
    Put it this way, this is me before I started using SOLUS3:

Gabriel.bmp

This is me after I used SOLUS3:

old.jpg

True story.

5. 6 Thanks to Rawns:

bossman (17th November 2012), FN-GM (15th November 2012), stitch (15th April 2013), tech_guy (4th December 2012), vikpaw (17th November 2012), zag (28th November 2012)

Thank Post
    On a more helpful note, this was being discussed in a thread on SupportNet.

- When you're authorising releases ensure that you select the correct release! (e.g. select 'SIMS 2012 Summer 4' and not 'SIMS Database Summer 2012 Update')
    - Ensure you've got a decent GPO setup for the firewall exceptions (or disable it completely!)
    - Ensure DNS is 100% - a dodgy DNS will play havoc with S3 as it will always resolve the hostname.
    - Use group policy to install .net 4 - S3 can install this but may cause restarts without warning
    - You have to release at least 1 update per channel in order to install new workstations - i.e. once your server is setup, release the current version of SIMS, FMS and Discover before adding any clients. This will bring S3 up to the correct version. When adding new workstations, they will now install automatically (provided a sims.ini + connect.ini is defined).
    - When browsing the AD within a channel, any workstations within AD Groups will not appear. You must navigate to the topmost OU folder to make these appear (hope that makes sense).
    - When registering a new site you may receive an error (Violation of Primary Key...) - Just try again and the site will register.
    - S3 isn't good at telling you when it's unable to reach the internet - If something isn't working as it should, ensure that proxy is correct and that internet is working.
    - Delete the old setups folder only if you intend to never ever use SOLUS2 again for things like patches or license activators. Some patches are still not available/auto-deployable in SOLUS3 and it's quicker to just bash them out using SOLUS2 (if you have an automatic routine to in place to apply them!), but this requires a "Setups" folder. May be worth leaving the Setups folder there but deleting/moving the contents instead to "encourage" you to stop installing SIMS in the old way.
    Last edited by Rawns; 15th November 2012 at 02:15 PM.

7. Thanks to Rawns from:

Ghostgame (10th January 2013)

Thank Post
    I refer you to SIMS & MSI

Who could have predicted this mess?

9. 2 Thanks to mavhc:

Rawns (15th November 2012), zag (28th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    On a more helpful note, this was being discussed in a thread on SupportNet.

- When you're authorising releases ensure that you select the correct release! (e.g. select 'SIMS 2012 Summer 4' and not 'SIMS Database Summer 2012 Update')
    - Ensure you've got a decent GPO setup for the firewall exceptions (or disable it completely!)
    - Ensure DNS is 100% - a dodgy DNS will play havoc with S3 as it will always resolve the hostname.
    - Use group policy to install .net 4 - S3 can install this but may cause restarts without warning
    - You have to release at least 1 update per channel in order to install new workstations - i.e. once your server is setup, release the current version of SIMS, FMS and Discover before adding any clients. This will bring S3 up to the correct version. When adding new workstations, they will now install automatically (provided a sims.ini + connect.ini is defined).
    - When browsing the AD within a channel, any workstations within AD Groups will not appear. You must navigate to the topmost OU folder to make these appear (hope that makes sense).
    - When registering a new site you may receive an error (Violation of Primary Key...) - Just try again and the site will register.
    - S3 isn't good at telling you when it's unable to reach the internet - If something isn't working as it should, ensure that proxy is correct and that internet is working.
    - Delete the old setups folder only if you intend to never ever use SOLUS2 again for things like patches or license activators. Some patches are still not available/auto-deployable in SOLUS3 and it's quicker to just bash them out using SOLUS2 (if you have an automatic routine to in place to apply them!), but this requires a "Setups" folder. May be worth leaving the Setups folder there but deleting/moving the contents instead to "encourage" you to stop installing SIMS in the old way.
    Or in short:
    1) Don't use it!

11. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Rawns (19th November 2012)

Thank Post
    disagree.
    It works, it needs careful prep work and an full understanding of it which most of Capita don't have. My advice get Capita to come in and do it for you as when it's in a working it saves you so much time effort and bother.

sorry all there is always someone that has to be different from the crowd.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @Whitclark:

Beg to differ on the fact that your the only one and different!

I too have it all setup and working fine so far, only problem that I envisage is the odd client not starting so will have to write a start up script to check if Solus3 agent is running if not then start the little b*gger hehe!

old.jpg

Before Solus 3

Gabriel.jpg

After Solus 3
    @Rawns: thanks for the pics
    Last edited by bossman; 17th November 2012 at 02:11 PM.

14. Thanks to bossman from:

Rawns (19th November 2012)

Thank Post
    It's good to see that @bossman & @Whitclark have some success. Feedback at the Southern LA User Group was that those that persevered were getting there. One LA reported setting SIMS up in two new school networks as working like a dream (no not a nightmare!).

The next set of enhancements are due out at the end of this year and that should close down the odd failures to upgrade.

16. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

bossman (18th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    It's good to see that @bossman & @Whitclark have some success. Feedback at the Southern LA User Group was that those that persevered were getting there. One LA reported setting SIMS up in two new school networks as working like a dream (no not a nightmare!).

The next set of enhancements are due out at the end of this year and that should close down the odd failures to upgrade.
    I'm aware of those two schools as it was my colleague who set them up. Indeed, in these brand new sites, it worked like a dream. Once we were sure the network was set up accordingly, with a few clicks, SIMS and FMS was installed across the whole estate. That's how SOLUS3 should function. Unfortunately, 99% of schools in the LA are not brand new and already have SIMS and FMS in their environment, and SOLUS3 is a a monster to get installed and working as it should do. I've come across far more issues using SOLUS3 then successes using it.

Thank Post
    Another vote for SOLUS 3.0. Setup and working without any issues here too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm quite happy with Solus 3, however......... I don't understand why I can't alter my environment when there is no internet connection available?

I'll admit it's rare but is bound to happen at some point. Approval to deploy updates I can understand, however altering the environment I don't.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Feedback at the Southern LA User Group was that those that persevered were getting there.
    My thoughts would be surely a mission critical system like SIMS shouldn't need to be persevered with to be getting there. A bit of careful thought and tinkering should be needed maybe to get to a working result, but the efforts I have heard about on here and through other channels that are needed to get Solus3 working mean it is not in my best interests to do it yet.

Thank Post
    I heard monday after speaking to capita that we wil HAVE to upgrade to SOLUS 3 within the next couple of months. Does anyone know if this is correct?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast