+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Modifying registration sheets (OMR printouts) in Technical; Not sure if this is either something obvious that I'm just missing, something that's buried in a setting somewhere, or ...
    sdc
    Thank Post

Modifying registration sheets (OMR printouts)

Not sure if this is either something obvious that I'm just missing, something that's buried in a setting somewhere, or even something that can't (easily) be changed! Weekly, we print registers for each tutor group, which are filled in by tutors and then read by our trusty OMR reader(s). This process works fine, but the barcodes that identify the sheet aren't printing in the right place on the form - e.g. not really in the dotted red box preprinted on the forms. They overlap the box, needing to be shifted about 1cm to the right of their current location. This has the effect of making certain sheets unrecognisable by the OMR reader due to an apparently missing sheet number.

Interestingly, the absence reports (printed daily in the same fashion) line up perfectly, although their barcodes are in a different location! Is there a template file somewhere, or a setting, that can be modified to change this?

Many thanks
    Stephen
    Last edited by sdc; 15th November 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Have to say it's quite a while since I've used the OMR for reading registers, but I do remember that you can alter the print settings in Tools>Setups>OMR. However presumably that will alter the settings for both your registers and absence reports, so I would make sure you keep a note of the original settings to return it to just in case!

Eventually I became so fed up with registers not reading and marks being missed that I gave up, printed manual registers and entered them manually every morning and afternoon. (I only have 12 classes to deal with so it is possible for me!)

3. Thanks to GeeHubb from:

sdc (15th November 2012)

sdc
    Thank Post
    Thanks for that; I have played with those settings and there are page margin settings etc, but unfortunately they affect the entire printout - not just the barcode. As the text is aligned perfectly (well, as perfectly as repetitively-printed individual sheets can be...) I'm assuming that there is either a different version of the stationery to be set (and I can only find this option for absence forms, not registration forms) or there's an XML or similar file someplace that I can edit to control positions etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    do you print from Routines | Attendance | OMR ...? I don't have the OMR option there, probably as it's not setup and we don't use it. There are some setup options under Tools | Setups | attendance | OMR Setup something to do with versions but it looked like it was only for absence sheets. I thought maybe there were different version.

Anyway, if it's something that when you print, gives you the the popup specifying an XML template, then 'prints' to your browser, then it will defo be editable. But it may mean having to supply your own template each time it prints. Also, fiddling with XML, well, XSLT sheets, which is what you need, is a pain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sdc View Post
    Not sure if this is either something obvious that I'm just missing, something that's buried in a setting somewhere, or even something that can't (easily) be changed! Weekly, we print registers for each tutor group, which are filled in by tutors and then read by our trusty OMR reader(s). This process works fine, but the barcodes that identify the sheet aren't printing in the right place on the form - e.g. not really in the dotted red box preprinted on the forms. They overlap the box, needing to be shifted about 1cm to the right of their current location. This has the effect of making certain sheets unrecognisable by the OMR reader due to an apparently missing sheet number.

Interestingly, the absence reports (printed daily in the same fashion) line up perfectly, although their barcodes are in a different location! Is there a template file somewhere, or a setting, that can be modified to change this?

Many thanks
    Stephen
    Hi,

If the barcode is being read then I'd not worry about the position so much. The red dotted lines are just a guide. Any adjustments to print offset are global, so all other printed details will move.

Andy

Thank Post
    but its not reading it all the time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    but its not reading it all the time
    If you want, give me a call on the DRS helpdesk 01908 355115. If your going to call, fax me a copy of a REG form 1st & include the OMR serial number on the header, 01908 607668 FAO Andy McLean. I'll have a look for you. The helpdesk is a free service.

Andy

Thank Post
    Thanks @Mac6 - it's not for me, but i'm sure @sdc will appreciate the offer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread