+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
MIS Systems Thread, What information do you allow when accessing MIS from home? in Technical; Hi guys and gals, In terms of teachers accessing MIS from home, what data do you make available to them? ...
  1. #1
    Ben_Stanton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    420
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    What information do you allow when accessing MIS from home?

    Hi guys and gals,

    In terms of teachers accessing MIS from home, what data do you make available to them? What are the relevant parts of DPA that relate to this? So, we can allow access solely for report writing with no real identifiable/personal data. But, is there a good reason to allow access to things like DOB, contact details (including phone numbers and address) of parents/guardians etc..

    Thanks in advance

    Ben

  2. #2

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,589
    Thank Post
    638
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Rep Power
    336
    Which MIS do you use? The answer to that may control / restrict what you can let them see anyway.
    Broadly speaking if you can, limit it to only what they need. If they're just putting marks in, then just give them assessment areas. If they need contact numbers and SLT approve the action then fine, but if you can limit it, then it's just a safer system.

  3. #3

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,724
    Thank Post
    696
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Rep Power
    393
    The relevant parts of the DPA are nothing more than the same parts that relate to onsite usage. There is nothing prescriptive in the DPA about remote access.

    The only part of our MIS we expose for remote access is basic contact details for pupils and those people listed as emergency contacts for each pupil. We give staff this because we would rather they access the data remotely using a (strong) password than print out the details on paper and leave them lying around somewhere on a trip.

    At one point there was strong guidance from the DCSF that remote access had to use two-factor authentication, but that guidance was swept away when the Tories got in, because we can just apparently do whatever we want now and market forces will determine who's right.

  4. #4

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,392
    Thank Post
    797
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Rep Power
    427
    They get the same access externally as they do in school here.

  5. #5
    Ben_Stanton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    420
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    They get the same access externally as they do in school here.
    ...and what information do they have access to inside school? Addresses and contact details of parents (and therefore child, more often than not) and guardians etc..?

  6. #6
    Ben_Stanton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    420
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    The relevant parts of the DPA are nothing more than the same parts that relate to onsite usage. There is nothing prescriptive in the DPA about remote access.

    The only part of our MIS we expose for remote access is basic contact details for pupils and those people listed as emergency contacts for each pupil. We give staff this because we would rather they access the data remotely using a (strong) password than print out the details on paper and leave them lying around somewhere on a trip.

    At one point there was strong guidance from the DCSF that remote access had to use two-factor authentication, but that guidance was swept away when the Tories got in, because we can just apparently do whatever we want now and market forces will determine who's right.
    Thank you. Seems sensible. At the end of the day, if they wanted address details for malicious reasons, then they could be taken from school anyway.

  7. #7
    Ben_Stanton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    420
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Which MIS do you use? The answer to that may control / restrict what you can let them see anyway.
    Broadly speaking if you can, limit it to only what they need. If they're just putting marks in, then just give them assessment areas. If they need contact numbers and SLT approve the action then fine, but if you can limit it, then it's just a safer system.
    We use PASS/3SYS. It is very customisable and I can restrict most things.

  8. #8

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,392
    Thank Post
    797
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Rep Power
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Stanton View Post
    ...and what information do they have access to inside school? Addresses and contact details of parents (and therefore child, more often than not) and guardians etc..?
    They have that (I Think) our data manager looks afters sims perms

  9. #9

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,881
    Thank Post
    1,316
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    563
    You give access to whatever is deemed relevant and then combine it with policies to ensure that it is accesses, processed and shared appropriately.

    Access to DOB, etc might be given to allow pastoral staff (eg form tutors) to plan for birthdays or other notable events.
    Address might allow for planning of home visits.
    Other details might be part of letters home ...

    The list could go on but it has to be agreed by the schools and it has to also be appropriate for work / life balance.

    It is not so much what data can be shared, but where. You might allow remote access but how to do you specify that it should be done on a machine which is not viewable by others (ie those who have no rights to see or process the data)? You can do some of this with tech (ie lock it down so it is not accessible outside of school) or you can use policies / procedures.

    This is related to Data Protection Principle 7.

  10. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

    AngryTechnician (14th November 2012)

  11. #10
    Ben_Stanton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    420
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    You give access to whatever is deemed relevant and then combine it with policies to ensure that it is accesses, processed and shared appropriately.

    Access to DOB, etc might be given to allow pastoral staff (eg form tutors) to plan for birthdays or other notable events.
    Address might allow for planning of home visits.
    Other details might be part of letters home ...

    The list could go on but it has to be agreed by the schools and it has to also be appropriate for work / life balance.

    It is not so much what data can be shared, but where. You might allow remote access but how to do you specify that it should be done on a machine which is not viewable by others (ie those who have no rights to see or process the data)? You can do some of this with tech (ie lock it down so it is not accessible outside of school) or you can use policies / procedures.

    This is related to Data Protection Principle 7.
    Thank you very much GrumbleDook

  12. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    173
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    We don't allow any access at all.

  13. #12
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,145
    Thank Post
    127
    Thanked 326 Times in 275 Posts
    Rep Power
    81
    Same access externally as they get internal here as well.

    Have had a bit of extra piece of mind since we mixed in security certs into the authentication process of our remote PCs as well – this way even if someone were to figure out a staff members password they would need a valid AD security cert to actually connect.

  14. #13
    Steven_Cleaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    443
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Allow remote access to the same as they would have in school but dual factor encrypted authentication using app with encrypted key built in so dual factor is seamless for user, locks machine, after a few minutes or whatever the school wants if not used and other security features inluding logging so who has accessed the system etc for auditing, tracebility.

    The reason we use Dual Factor is so that if a student knew a staff username and password would not be able to access MIS systems externally.

    Use polices with staff as well as security to enforce use.

    Feel this is better than allowing data to go offsite and this is explained at various meetings via SLT and through school policies adn consequences.
    Last edited by Steven_Cleaver; 14th November 2012 at 11:16 PM.

  15. #14

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,589
    Thank Post
    638
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Rep Power
    336
    The thing about remote access is, what if they leave the machine logged on, but are in an internet cafe in the costa del sol, or stuck at the airport. Even at home, if they print something out, then leave it lying around. The same issues exist at school, and the data could be taken home, but when you're not even aware of what is happening or where, it's an extra factor of potential trouble. I'd still be asking what they need and why. Doing reports from home is great, filling in behaviour reports after the fact, looking up phone numbers for parents or other things which are not essential and just a convenience i'd probably say isn't a necessity.

  16. #15
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,530
    Thank Post
    815
    Thanked 380 Times in 317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    80
    Same as in school over RDP.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What sites do you allow staff access but not students?
    By b_m in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 24th May 2012, 11:52 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 18th June 2010, 08:42 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th September 2009, 09:08 PM
  4. What do you hate about your MIS system
    By johnhunsley in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 9th December 2008, 04:48 PM
  5. What do you allow Teachers to view in Sims.
    By Disease in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13th December 2007, 10:04 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •