+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Deployment Crossroads - SOLUS3 or RemoteApp in Technical; Ok, into the fray i go. The 70 laptops are taken home nightly by staff and therefore this apparently will ...
    Thank Post
    Ok, into the fray i go.

The 70 laptops are taken home nightly by staff and therefore this apparently will make SOLUS3 deployment and updates very problematic; the laptops will be 'offline' when the updates are deployed. They may never get the update. They may require the update to be re-deployed. There is certainly no way of guaranteeing that when the laptops next try to run SIMS it will have been upgraded.
    Shouldn't be as problematic as you think. The UI installs on the server. You then install an agent on each of your workstations. You can download updates but you get to choose when you deploy them out. When you deploy an update, any offline agents that come online should update automatically. Because of the agents installed on your workstations you can see which ones have and have not updated. For the ones that have not automatically updated for whatever reason you can redeploy the update to those specific workstations. I can't promise you will be problem free but I doubt it will be as bad as it has been made out.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Windy_Miller View Post
    I'm amazed - are they well ahead with SOLUS3?
    Depends what you mean.
    Does it do everything it says on the tin? - yes

Does it do it with no problems? - depends on if your network has no problems and you don't mind sorting out the teething problems that come with it (e.g firewall port exceptions)

What I will say is when SOLUS3 works, it works really well. When it does not, it can be a pain.

Thank Post
    Er, no. What made you think it was a joke?

There's quite a few stories around about offline clients not being upgraded, even if they are supposed to be simply upgraded when they come back on-line.

We went to a Capita SOLUS3 training course recently. It took their guy nearly an hour to roll-out an upgrade... to just 2 test machines in the lab.

When staff log on the first thing they do is go in to SIMS. I don't see this working any more if an upgrade is being done slowly in the background...

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Please tell me this part is a joke?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mobybrick View Post
    Er, no. What made you think it was a joke?
    More wishing it was a joke as it just sounds like Solus 3 is going to be a knightmare.

Thank Post
    I don't suppose you know what happens to clients/users who are using SIMS when an upgraded is being deployed?

If a user logs in to SIMS as soon as the server (database) has been upgraded, say, - does the SOLUS3 agent kick them out of SIMS until the client has also been upgraded? I know a bubble message can appear in the system tray when an upgrade is about to take place - but does it actually boot the user out of SIMS, as it would need to?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    Ok, into the fray i go.

Shouldn't be as problematic as you think. The UI installs on the server. You then install an agent on each of your workstations. You can download updates but you get to choose when you deploy them out. When you deploy an update, any offline agents that come online should update automatically. Because of the agents installed on your workstations you can see which ones have and have not updated. For the ones that have not automatically updated for whatever reason you can redeploy the update to those specific workstations. I can't promise you will be problem free but I doubt it will be as bad as it has been made out.

Depends what you mean.
    Does it do everything it says on the tin? - yes

Does it do it with no problems? - depends on if your network has no problems and you don't mind sorting out the teething problems that come with it (e.g firewall port exceptions)

What I will say is when SOLUS3 works, it works really well. When it does not, it can be a pain.

Thank Post
    I think there is a few mis-conceptions here about Solus 3. We have 180 workstations and 90 staff laptops that all have SIMS.Net on. When we roll out
    a SIMS upgrade the 180 workstations are upgraded in about 30 minutes. We normally upgrade when staff have left work because the upgrade
    can take place without anybody being logged in. With regards to staff laptops that have been taken home and then brought back in the next day,
    as soon as they are switched on in the morning it will automatically update the SIMS client to the latest upgrade. You just need to ensure that
    all your workstations and staff laptops Solus 3 agents are on version 3.4.118.0 as before this version the auto updating did not work. An email to
    staff indicating when the upgrade is going to take place and to ensure that they bring there laptop in and have it switched on ensures the upgrade
    normally takes place without a hitch.

6. Thanks to alfatec from:

Ghostgame (13th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mobybrick View Post
    I don't suppose you know what happens to clients/users who are using SIMS when an upgraded is being deployed?

If a user logs in to SIMS as soon as the server (database) has been upgraded, say, - does the SOLUS3 agent kick them out of SIMS until the client has also been upgraded? I know a bubble message can appear in the system tray when an upgrade is about to take place - but does it actually boot the user out of SIMS, as it would need to?

Thanks!
    Unfortunatly not. Thats one of the things we are trying to get Capita to add for SOLUS3.
    What we tell people is that when the solus3 notification appears to log out of SIMS/FMS

There was a change request that could be voted for but I don't know where thats gone.
    Last edited by Ghostgame; 13th November 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Did I not see that the next release of SOLUS3 in December improves greatly on the area of devices being offline when a update is rolled out, and that workstations will now automatically check with the S3 Deployment Service when they next come online and upgrade automatically if they are out of date? Will remove the current sting of having to manually redeploy to out of date devices! (Which to be honest should have been blatant functionality from day 1!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    A bang on statement right there. We installed and used SOLUS3 in a new BSF site which had all new kit. With only a few clicks, SOLUS3 installed SIMS, FMS, Discover etc onto loads of workstations!

The pain is getting it installed and working in existing environments. It's dependant on so may things (DNS, Firewall etc).

Thank Post
    Hi Rawns, the current Solus 3 system already does the automatic redeploy now, you just have to ensure that all your workstations have the latest Solus 3 agent installed 3.4.118.0. If a workstation or laptop
    is offline when an update is done it will automatically update the next time it comes online.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alfatec View Post
    Hi Rawns, the current Solus 3 system already does the automatic redeploy now, you just have to ensure that all your workstations have the latest Solus 3 agent installed 3.4.118.0. If a workstation or laptop
    is offline when an update is done it will automatically update the next time it comes online.
    I think you will find there has been an update to the Solus3 agent 3.4.119 is what we are using.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alfatec View Post
    LIES!!!!

With over 100 sites with SOLUS3, I can assure you this is not the case that I've seen. The amount of calls we have had because of incompatible database errors due to workstations not being upgraded automatically after coming online assures me that this functionality is broken. We ensure the latest agent is installed on all devices (119 at this point in time).

The only time I have seen a successful upgrade when a device has come online is when auto-deployment is enabled in SOLUS3. We have ours set to auto-deploy between 19:00 and 10:00. Most devices are off after 19:00 and when they come back online at 8:00am, they upgrade perfectly. Any that come online after 10:00am just sit there.
    Last edited by Rawns; 13th November 2012 at 02:00 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12