+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
MIS Systems Thread, Does SIMS have a web portal? in Technical; Can sims provide online reports (pdf or whaever) that parents can access to view their childs progress behaviuor etc? Is ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    41
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Does SIMS have a web portal?

    Can sims provide online reports (pdf or whaever) that parents can access to view their childs progress behaviuor etc? Is it user friendly?

  2. #2
    arthur231283's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dartford
    Posts
    164
    Thank Post
    34
    Thanked 37 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Sims have something called sims learning gateway SIMS Learning Gateway for Secondary Schools | capita-sims.co.uk

    This allows parents to login and see details on there child

    We are in the process of installing and setting it up at the moment

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    674
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    does it actually put it in a friendly manner, we used it a while back and the opinion at the time was that the tables of data you could display just were not friendly to look at.
    The reports you can create in SIMS for child reports looked much better, or even being able to access a published PDF through slg would be better than the nasty tables it showed (it has been some time since we used it)

  4. #4

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,260
    Thank Post
    290
    Thanked 796 Times in 605 Posts
    Rep Power
    348
    Have a look at TASC Insight, much cheaper than SLG and in my opinion and that of our parents it's much better.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    400
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 58 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    You can publish the report in SLG as a PDF and it will look how it does if you were printing them.

    Depending on the person or how complicated you make it, people will either feel that its easy to browse and use the site and others wont. It uses sharepoint so it has a fairly straight forward layout but depending on what you add and how it can be a little bit difficult to navigate. Weve rolled out to around 700 parents and most have completed a survey about use of site, navigation and possible improvements etc and only a handful said they found it difficult to navigate.

  6. #6
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,002
    Thank Post
    983
    Thanked 477 Times in 398 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdc199 View Post
    Can sims provide online reports (pdf or whaever) that parents can access to view their childs progress behaviuor etc? Is it user friendly?
    Yes they do its called SLG. But don't bother with it, its horribly un user friendly.

    Try TASC insight. Its excellent for online parent reporting.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    674
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    You can publish the report in SLG as a PDF and it will look how it does if you were printing them.

    Depending on the person or how complicated you make it, people will either feel that its easy to browse and use the site and others wont. It uses sharepoint so it has a fairly straight forward layout but depending on what you add and how it can be a little bit difficult to navigate. Weve rolled out to around 700 parents and most have completed a survey about use of site, navigation and possible improvements etc and only a handful said they found it difficult to navigate.
    i couldnt see how to get SLG to display exported PDF's (does it do it on the fly or only if the report is run in the school and then published)

  8. #8

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,459
    Thank Post
    408
    Thanked 672 Times in 614 Posts
    Rep Power
    192
    I echo the TASC Insight comments.

  9. #9

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Yes but i wouldn't use it! As mentioned above others are a lot better.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    400
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 58 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by SHimmer45 View Post
    i couldnt see how to get SLG to display exported PDF's (does it do it on the fly or only if the report is run in the school and then published)
    In SIMS.net we do routines > SLG> publish documents - you then get a menu of what you want to publish, be it reports or grading letters etc. Select the users you want to publish a report for, give the document a title and academic year its relevant to, and then select the format which can be a pdf or word document.

    Thats more or less it and the report becomes visible under my children dashboard. Parent logs in and see report.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    53
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Don't see what the problem is with the SLG. We have it rolled out to over a thousand pupils. All online reports and data collection is done online saving
    a lot of money with regards to using paper and admin time. Navigation through SharePoint is dependent on how you set it up that is why we host
    the system ourselves. Once bought, it costs very little in annual maintenance fees to run. We surveyed our parents and were complimented on the
    system. Suppose you cannot please everybody.

  12. #12

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by alfatec View Post
    Don't see what the problem is with the SLG. We have it rolled out to over a thousand pupils. All online reports and data collection is done online saving
    a lot of money with regards to using paper and admin time. Navigation through SharePoint is dependent on how you set it up that is why we host
    the system ourselves. Once bought, it costs very little in annual maintenance fees to run. We surveyed our parents and were complimented on the
    system. Suppose you cannot please everybody.
    My Main points against it was
    1. Our initial setup was terrible as done via lea centrally hosted. Looked awful and wasn't used.
    2. When we were moving away capita wanted 13k for setup and then about £1800 a year
    3. its built on Sharepoint which is terrible anyway
    4. more cost effective solutions are available.

    I could go on

  13. #13
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,002
    Thank Post
    983
    Thanked 477 Times in 398 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    98
    Yeh, once you use TASC insight you realize just how poor SLG really is.

    Just as an example there is no need to publish reports to tasc insight, they automatically appear.

    Tasc insight also costs around 1k just for comparison and is a far better system all round

    Just for the record we have used SLG and Insight in our school.

  14. #14
    reggiep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In the vast area of space and time
    Posts
    1,550
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 56 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    +1 for TASC insight. The support from TASC is amazing too.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,404
    Thank Post
    38
    Thanked 387 Times in 262 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    @glennda - I'd be grateful for more detail on the "£13K for set up" as I don't understand where that figure comes from.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] Does SIMS run ok on 64bit Win 7?
    By IT_Man_Dan in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 6th July 2012, 02:41 PM
  2. [SIMS] SIMS - Hide SLG Web Parts en Masse
    By Kathk in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th October 2011, 01:18 PM
  3. Does anyone have a script...
    By wesleyw in forum Scripts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 5th July 2007, 02:58 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 5th February 2007, 09:45 AM
  5. Does anyone have a rackmounted Dell 2800?
    By ChrisH in forum Hardware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23rd June 2006, 11:24 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •