+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Does SIMS have a web portal? in Technical; Another one for TASC and Insight parents can view students reports in PDF format both present and all past reports. ...
    Thank Post
    Another one for TASC and Insight parents can view students reports in PDF format both present and all past reports. Staff can view information for students including reports and we have recently given students access to this so that Parents, Staff and Students have access to the same information although have configured slightly differently for the different groups and what shows when for these groups for instance for staff upto date attendance for Parents one week behind etc.
    You not only have access to reports but Attendance, Behaviour, Assessment and Exams all this can configured easily to what you want for each group of users just ticking\unticking a few tick boxes.
    1. The interface for users is very easy to use and navigate also looks modern.
    2. Very, very reasonably priced and no expensive initial setup costs.
    3. You can link students into AD so they use same Username and Passwords they use at school again fairly easily.
    4. Staff use their SIM’s username and Password.
    5. Excellent support from Tasc software.

A couple of schools in our LEA even changed systems once they had taken a look at Insight in the school.

Thank Post
    Go for Insight from Tasc Software, we had the Sims Learning Gateway its over priced by a long way, and no where near as good as Insight.

Insight is just an extreamly good quality product, really well made and supported. If only more educational products were made to the same standard. Never dread having to get in contact if i need help with Tasc like i do some other companys.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    @glennda - I'd be grateful for more detail on the "13K for set up" as I don't understand where that figure comes from.
    was the inital purchase - setup and configuration, plus first years maintenance. im afraid i dont have access to the figures anymore as i left the place it was. if you want to invesugate further i can give you the first name of the person who quoted and also the school name.

in the end I went for Zilink

Thank Post
    We are another happy SLG school here and have been for 3 or 4 years. I have seen the TASC software and also like that too though.

We've got all parents for our 1,500 students accessing their Son / Daughters details from work home without any problems and have had some great feedback from parents. Our staff also did not have access to the SIMS client from their workstations until this September and have carried out attendance, tracking, behaviour and profiles student reports via the webparts. The reason we also gave them access to the SIMS client also is that SLG does lack some of the functionality such as being able to generate class set photos / exporting tracking sheets into excel, but I am sure this functionality will come.

A lot of people don't like sharepoint - I wonder if this is where the hatred of SLG comes from as the webparts do work well - I agree sharepoint is clunky and ugly looking if not managed and skinned properly - this is what we've done and are very happy with it and our sharepoint install with web parts is our school VLE - providing online access to students to the lesson resources and multimedia via document libraries.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    was the inital purchase - setup and configuration, plus first years maintenance. im afraid i dont have access to the figures anymore as i left the place it was. if you want to invesugate further i can give you the first name of the person who quoted and also the school name.

in the end I went for Zilink
    Yeh our SLG cost over 10,000 to buy as well. It was a COMPLETE waste of money.

TASC Insight is better, cheaper, easier to use, more features, easier to upgrade, nicer interface, quicker, easier to log in, easier to provision. I could go on

It cost 1,000....
    Last edited by zag; 9th November 2012 at 01:00 PM.

Thank Post
    @glennda yes please drop me a line Phil.Neal@Capita.CO.UK as this price is way over what it should be and is more in line with what we might charge over 3 years for both the parental & staff side of things.

Thank Post
    @glennda yes please drop me a line Phil.Neal@Capita.CO.UK as this price is way over what it should be and is more in line with what we might charge over 3 years for both the parental & staff side of things.
    Just dropping you an email now. Its rather vague tho as I don't have the figures to hand having left.

EDIT: I have found the Figures and 13k was including 2k's worth of VAT. The total price quoted ex VAT was still near 11k. Have sent over to Phil.
    Last edited by glennda; 9th November 2012 at 10:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Just dug up the pricing for when we looked at SLG self hosted, the figure we were quoted is similar to what @glennda has said. We did have SLG hosted by Capita for a while, but ditched it due to the number of problems we were having and moved to TASC Insight hosted internally which has worked brilliantly. Capita really could learn a thing or two from TASC about how to provide a proper level of support.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    @glennda - I'd be grateful for more detail on the "13K for set up" as I don't understand where that figure comes from.
    That's easy to reach, especially the revised cost of 11k. between 4-6k for licensing, then compulsory installation and training days at 1k per day. Add in solution planning which is a complete waste of time and results in a basic template document with your schools name on top, then some other extra time required. You pay for a day, which is only really 6 hours, and includes time for the installer to write documentation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    That's easy to reach, especially the revised cost of 11k. between 4-6k for licensing, then compulsory installation and training days at 1k per day. Add in solution planning which is a complete waste of time and results in a basic template document with your schools name on top, then some other extra time required. You pay for a day, which is only really 6 hours, and includes time for the installer to write documentation.
    +1 for TASC

We are ditching our self-hosted SLG soon in favour of PARS & Insight. SLG breaks at every update and as previously mentioned is horrible to look at and was very expensive to initially set up.

11. Thanks to Steveduk from:

zag (9th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Yup it was 4.5k licensing, 1100 annual maintenance, 5k installtion 450 customization. Phil's response to the email i sent him was that was normal figures. Essentially too bloody much IMHO for what it is.

13. Thanks to glennda from:

s1monb (20th November 2012)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Great to see competition in the market in this case.

Lets hope Capita steps up to the plate and responds.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Yup it was 4.5k licensing, 1100 annual maintenance, 5k installtion 450 customization. Phil's response to the email i sent him was that was normal figures. Essentially too bloody much IMHO for what it is.
    Just checked our invoice from 2009 for our self-hosted SLG and that too was just over 10k + VAT. Love the 5k to install a few web apps, good work if you can get it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's a handy thing when your product has a parent and student portal built in at no extra cost... In fact it is handy being web based in the first place!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    It's a handy thing when your product has a parent and student portal built in at no extra cost... In fact it is handy being web based in the first place!
    Puts on Serco Hat...

Agreed a nice Parent, Staff and Student Portal built in and has been now for lets see a LOT of years and at no extra cost either.... oh and before someone says the P word this is Facility and ePortal I am meaning not the new P product

18. Thanks to john from:

GREED (10th November 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast