+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, A couple of questions in Technical; Hi, I am new to this forum, so go easy on me. Any information you could provide would be warmly ...

Thank Post

A couple of questions

Hi, I am new to this forum, so go easy on me. Any information you could provide would be warmly welcomed.

How do schools MIS integrate with those of the LEA?

What are the benefits of an integrated MIS between schools and the LEA?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,089 Posts

I don't believe they integrate directly, the data usually takes an intermediate path, which makes sense unless all schools use the same MIS.
    The path will vary depending on the data, either being automatically pushed on a regular basis, or periodically sent manually.
    There could be benefits to an integrated system, in that the data could be automatically extracted, or just accessed with permission if a joint system.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Holykimura (3rd November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post

I don't believe they integrate directly, the data usually takes an intermediate path, which makes sense unless all schools use the same MIS.
    The path will vary depending on the data, either being automatically pushed on a regular basis, or periodically sent manually.
    There could be benefits to an integrated system, in that the data could be automatically extracted, or just accessed with permission if a joint system.
    Thanks for that information

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Schools systems don't generally integrate directly with the LA (It's Local Authority these days, not Local Education Authority)

Schools have the freedom choose any MIS. Many use SIMS, but this is not always the case. Data is usually extracted from the school's MIS to be sent to the LA.

If it were integrated, the LA could access information without having to ask schools which would be quicker, but without careful use of security settings... which may not be possible in some MIS... it could open up all sorts of Data Protection issues.

6. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Schools systems don't generally integrate directly with the LA (It's Local Authority these days, not Local Education Authority)

Schools have the freedom choose any MIS. Many use SIMS, but this is not always the case. Data is usually extracted from the school's MIS to be sent to the LA.

If it were integrated, the LA could access information without having to ask schools which would be quicker, but without careful use of security settings... which may not be possible in some MIS... it could open up all sorts of Data Protection issues.
    Hi thanks for that info

Thank Post
    Thanks for the information,

I'm new to MIS we are using SIMS, if I needed to install a critical update at short notice what steps should I take in order to do this safely and securely.

Im thinking

1) Get all users to log out
    2) Remotley log into server
    3) Back up the server data
    4) Kick out any users
    5) Start up SOLUS
    6) Down load the critcitcal update
    7) Apply to a single machine
    8) Check that it works
    9) If so roll out to all other stations

Have i missed anything out?

Thank Post
    Close, but the update is usually applied to the central SIMS database, so all stations need to be upgraded in order to use it, so you don't have the luxury of applying to a single machine and testing. You have to hope that Capita have already done that testing - which, given the number of updates to updates we get, doesn't always seem to be the case!

10. Thanks to clareq from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    Close, but the update is usually applied to the central SIMS database, so all stations need to be upgraded in order to use it, so you don't have the luxury of applying to a single machine and testing. You have to hope that Capita have already done that testing - which, given the number of updates to updates we get, doesn't always seem to be the case!
    Thanks, so how would you know if the update was successful ? Is there a way of knowing if the SIMS stations have been updated or not?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Holykimura View Post
    Thanks, so how would you know if the update was successful ? Is there a way of knowing if the SIMS stations have been updated or not?
    Once the update is applied to the server, the next time a user launches SIMs it should start upgrading.

Then once you log in to SIMs (after upgrade) the new version number should show/changes PDF etc load)

Steve

13. Thanks to Steve21 from:

Thank Post
    Thanks Steve.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Holykimura View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum, so go easy on me. Any information you could provide would be warmly welcomed.

How do schools MIS integrate with those of the LEA?

What are the benefits of an integrated MIS between schools and the LEA?

All schools including the academies in my LA use SIMS.net. The LA use Capita One B2B which collects data sent from Schools every night to update the Capita ONE LA database. Any conflicting data is also queried with the schools in question and resolved. This is particulary important when you have consortium students who are not apart of the school role, but added for timetabling purposes. Sometimes we have no record of their attendance history, doctors, uptodate contact details, SEN, etc, so the B2B updates this overnight using the date of birth and name of the student.

16. Thanks to kiran from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiran View Post
    All schools including the academies in my LA use SIMS.net. The LA use Capita One B2B which collects data sent from Schools every night to update the Capita ONE LA database. Any conflicting data is also queried with the schools in question and resolved. This is particulary important when you have consortium students who are not apart of the school role, but added for timetabling purposes. Sometimes we have no record of their attendance history, doctors, uptodate contact details, SEN, etc, so the B2B updates this overnight using the date of birth and name of the student.
    Hi, thanks Kiran that was really useful.

Thank Post
    I like that kicking out users appears twice in the update tasks! - that's so true
    The best way to test the update is to set yourself up a test SIMS server. Ideally, your SIMS server is virtualised, so that if there are any problems during the update, you can easily undo. This won't prevent you suffering at the hands of faulty update that installs with no problems though. At least not unless you are prepared to lose data

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I like that kicking out users appears twice in the update tasks! - that's so true
    The best way to test the update is to set yourself up a test SIMS server. Ideally, your SIMS server is virtualised, so that if there are any problems during the update, you can easily undo. This won't prevent you suffering at the hands of faulty update that installs with no problems though. At least not unless you are prepared to lose data
    I was thinking about that but was thinking if the update is critical would I have the time to test before roll out?

Thank Post
    To be honest, most people take a wait and see approach to the updates as there is inevitably something that goes wrong.
    If you can test it yourself, it's a little piece of mind that it works (on your system).
    The least that i do is to ensure that it applies correctly, and basic details can be searched and that reports run ok. You can't test everything though.
    You don't have to test and you can rely on their testing.
    The biggest problem is, once you apply and go live, it's very difficult to go back.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast