MIS Systems Thread, Help: how to import BTEC basedata into sims? in Technical; Hi
I do not seem to be able to import btec basedata into sims. I have downloaded the basedata for ...
26th October 2012, 01:52 PM #1
- Rep Power
Help: how to import BTEC basedata into sims?
I do not seem to be able to import btec basedata into sims. I have downloaded the basedata for my school and unzipped the contents; put the files in the SIMS EXAMIN folder. I want to do this for the students starting BTECs this academic year.
- What exam season do I need to be in (in exam organiser) eg summer 2013?
- When I go to import basedata for edexl/voc it says: "Import files are not present for the selected Board and Season." no matter which season / month I try.
- There are two lots of data I can download, I have downloaded and tried both, but strictly speaking which set do I need?. Each consists of four files eg one is: C7B13_15.X01
Previously no-one in my school has imported btec basedata to sims as they didn't know you could (I am new exam officer here). Thanks for any pointers I've run edexcel a number of times and they are suggesting asking capita. I just needs someone who knows what they're doing to tell me!!
26th October 2012, 04:01 PM #2
- Rep Power
To answer my own question for future reference and googlers that come across this:
- I did have to set the current season to next summer exam season (ie summer 2013);
- then right-click to import basedata on EDEXL/KSQ (not the VOC one); - this may be 'BOARD 15' on your system
- then you can choose your awards/components.
It is the 7B series that it imports (ie the basedata that you need to have downloaded from edexcel for your school). Eg mine was S7B13_15.X01
There is a total lack of info and help out there to do this!!
It is worth doing as then you can link the courses in course manager and when results come in you can import them into sims, just like gcse results etc
Last edited by coolhands; 26th October 2012 at 04:26 PM.
28th October 2012, 07:20 AM #3
- Rep Power
hi, you are partly right.
the two types of basedata relate to two different processes within the exams calendar:
1. btec registration
2. recording results
both sets of basedata will import but will need to be imported into the 'correct' season.
typically the registration basedata is imported into a season containing the month of september (usually this will be setup with SIMS as a standalone 'September' season)
results basedata requires a season with july in the season pattern. some schools include july in their 'summer' season pattern, although there is no problem with a dedicated july season
identifying the correct destination season using the basedata filename:
e.g. S7B13_15.X01 breaks down as such
S = type of individual file (in this case the sylabus file)
7 = season must include this month (6 = june, 7 = july, etc A = oct, B = Nov)
B = usually the level (btec here)
13 = calendar year, the season must be in this year (july 2013, sept 2013, etc)
_ = english basedata, W = welsh
15 = board routing code (check the list of boards in sims exams organiser (tools > setup > exam boards) this is the 'board' you will be right-clicking in the basedata tree
.x01 = the version of the basedata. not unusual for the boards to re-issue over time to plug gaps / add missing data, etc, so .x02, .x03, etc
knowing these rules will make the importing of basedata less trial and error.
the process of administering btecs is a two part affair, and both sets of basedata will be needed:
1. in sept of the year that students start their course (e.g. sept 11) the reg basedata will be used to enrol students on the course. this is an optional task for sims and will not affect the import of results when due. some schools choose to enrol candidates directly on the boards website (edxcel online)
2. to import results into sims the result basedata is needed (the july 2013 data). the school will then create an entry submission (regardless of whether this was carried out in the reg season) the board use this info to identify which students you want the electronic results for and send them through.
the full basedata info is available from the jcq.org.uk website (search for 'formats exchange version 14')
normally your support team should provide guidance for sims (we issue quite comprehensive notes) as this is just the tip of the iceberg, there are many issues related to btec results and the correct reporting of the data
29th October 2012, 02:06 PM #4
- Rep Power
thanks very much I will try to follow what you've said and re-read it a few times!
At the moment I would just like to register the new students for this year so for
1) btec registration
I need the correct basedata - this will be the 9B season yes?; and my exam season set to September 2012. But As far as I know I tried this and there was no file present to import ) ie not the correct one presumably, as it wasn's showing up as an option to import). But, I have (since my initial try) updated my course approvals, so possibly it was because I hadn't updated for the correct (current) course approvals, hence sims wouldn't import the (outdated) basedata.
Anyway, I will try again when I'm back in school next week and report back. All a bit confusing for someone new to the job!
By Geoff in forum MIS Systems
Last Post: 27th September 2012, 02:07 PM
By boffinson in forum MIS Systems
Last Post: 29th April 2012, 02:48 PM
Last Post: 19th October 2011, 01:59 PM
By Mactech2005 in forum Mac
Last Post: 11th July 2010, 10:15 AM
By DirtySnipe in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
Last Post: 1st August 2008, 02:34 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)