+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Discover: Transfer failed - appears to timeout in Technical; Hi all Part of me wishes I hadn't been checking things tonight, but in a way glad I have. We ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Angry Discover: Transfer failed - appears to timeout

Hi all

Part of me wishes I hadn't been checking things tonight, but in a way glad I have.

We have a consultancy booked on Thursday focusing arround assessment and discover, however logged into the Discover configuration tonight assuming all is hunkydory to discover that it hasn't transfered any data successfully since 1st October. Having scavanged arround I found the discover log file viewer and I get an unhelpfull error saying there was an error transfering details between the discover and sims database. It retried 5 times and then gives up.

Found the log file and opened it up, it looks like it's hitting a timeout. Searched supportnet and found an article about increasing the discover timeout, so followed that and set it to 10 minutes, however same error. Increased to 20 minutes and still the same error.

I'm running through one more run through with the time out set to 40 minutes, however something is obviously seriously wrong somewhere. It's got 20 minutes before it'll hit the timeout again if it's going to, however has anyone any pointers I can run through before I go and try the helpdesk in the morning?

Thanks!

Edit: 25 minutes the transfer took.
    Last edited by Cache; 23rd October 2012 at 10:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Try the SIMS reindex patch, this has speeded up transfers at some of our schools considerably

3. Thanks to Greg from:

Cache (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    As @Greg says, reindex patch. Works wonders with failed transfers.

Also may be worth re-running the commands to grant transfer rights. We found after the last upgrade, some services stopped transferring data because for some reason, they lost the transfer rights! Rerunning the commands restored the data transfer.

Edit: These commands...

Discover.SqlUserManager.Console /operation=SynchroniseWithSims /Server=SERVER\SIMS2008 /SimsDatabase=sims /DiscoverDatabase=discover /Username=sa /Password=****** /Verbose

Discover.SqlUserManager.Console /operation=GrantTransferAccountRights /AccountName="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /Server=SERVER\SIMS2008 /SimsDatabase=sims /DiscoverDatabase=discover /Username=sa /Password=****** /Verbose

Discover.SqlUserManager.Console /operation=GrantDataViewMonitorAccountRights /AccountName="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /Server=SERVER\SIMS2008 /SimsDatabase=sims /DiscoverDatabase=discover /Username=sa /Password=****** /Verbose
    Last edited by Rawns; 24th October 2012 at 09:45 AM.

5. Thanks to Rawns from:

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh we had same problem with the summer upgrade.

Had to apply some patch to fix it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got the same issue here with Discover. Only found out today that it wasn't up to date.

I've tried the command lines above but the second one fails with: "an erro occurred during right granting. a network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connect to sql server. the server was not found or was not accessible ....

Any ideas please?

Thanks, Graeme

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had the same problem after the summer upgrade. IIRC it turned out I was running an old copy of Discover with a new copy of SIMS, the summer upgraded didn't automatically upgrade Discover.

9. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by winng View Post
    I've got the same issue here with Discover. Only found out today that it wasn't up to date.

I've tried the command lines above but the second one fails with: "an erro occurred during right granting. a network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connect to sql server. the server was not found or was not accessible ....

Any ideas please?

Thanks, Graeme
    Another good point. Ensure the Discover and SIMS versions match, otherwise the transfer will stop.

Sounds like incorrect details somewhere. Double check the username, password, server name and instance, and the database names too. Also be sure to use the correct account name. We're running the services as system but if your using the network account, amend the account name appropriately.

11. Thanks to Rawns from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right, I've requested the Reindex patch and have that to apply shortly, double checked the discover services directory and it's all on the right version, but haven't run those other transfer rights commands yet.

I just find it odd that it started failing on 1st October with nothing obvious having being changed. But it's SIMS/IT - who needs logic?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    and the winner is...... the Reindexing patch.

Transfer takes less then 2 minutes and CPU usage is something reasonable, rather then sitting at 99% for the whole time it's transfering it's now only 25%.

I guess it must have just hit satuartion point.

Thanks again!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread