+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Hide event types in Facility ePortal in Technical; Does anybody know how to hide old/redundant event types (detentions, merits, etc) from the select box on the event entry ...

Thank Post

Hide event types in Facility ePortal

Does anybody know how to hide old/redundant event types (detentions, merits, etc) from the select box on the event entry screen in ePortal? Can this be done through Facility?

There are a whole load of event types we don't need (and also some we don't use any more but don't want to totally delete) - I just don't want them to show up as an option.

Unfortunately you can't style <option>s with css or I would just hide them that way.

If there isn't a 'nice' solution I can hide them with javascript, but I'd rather not...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Events in Facility are based per dataset, so if you don't want to use the event definition anymore and haven't got any data in this years dataset recorded against it you can just delete it but not hide it. However historical data doesn't go missing its on the students record tab under events for you to see and report on.

3. Thanks to john from:

MrGravell (15th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks John.

Two things: firstly, can I just confirm - is it possible to delete default event definitions (that are unused) from the current dataset? Our IT guy says you can't delete them.

Secondly: essentially we've created a new version of an existing event definition, and added an extra field. This has occurred part way though the year, so there is data in the old event, and there will be data in the new event. I can work out how to export the old event data, but see no obvious way to import in to the new event. Do you have any ideas? I've started talking about importing here CMIS - Importing data into CMIS. Can it be done? so may be better to reply in that thread to keep things on topic...

Thanks again,

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGravell View Post
    Thanks John.

Two things: firstly, can I just confirm - is it possible to delete default event definitions (that are unused) from the current dataset? Our IT guy says you can't delete them.

Secondly: essentially we've created a new version of an existing event definition, and added an extra field. This has occurred part way though the year, so there is data in the old event, and there will be data in the new event. I can work out how to export the old event data, but see no obvious way to import in to the new event. Do you have any ideas? I've started talking about importing here CMIS - Importing data into CMIS. Can it be done? so may be better to reply in that thread to keep things on topic...

Thanks again,

Pete
    As ever with adjusting your MIS, ensure you take a full backup before doing so just in-case but yes you can delete unused events from this academic year with pleasure, I am just about to remove most of mine as we now use the BM Module for most things rather than Events thus we have a range of Positive and Negative event items we want rid of as they should all be in BM. The key bit is ensuring they are not used, if they are used at all they will not be removable.

As for the second point, yes messy I think is the answer, you could probably just get them changed in the SQL table where events live to the correct category I would suspect as they are stored quite simply in the tables and if its quite clear the wrong category and the right one you could probably do that.

I personally have never bulk imported data into Facility so not an expert but know it can be done but you again should take backups and take advice from either Serco or your LA Support Team.

Thank Post
    Yep it doesn't look like rocket science to edit the database direct, though there seems to be a big fear of it here. Especially no reason to be too worried if you test it on a duplicate installation first.

In the end I'm not going to bother with the export/import though - I've written my own php script to access the database direct, collate events and email a spreadsheet to the required people - this quietly takes care of both the old and modified event types. I've also written a bit of javascript to hide the event types I don't want showing in ePortal - that should tide us over until next year when we can do things properly by deleting all the redundant definitions.

Thanks for your help - will be useful next year...

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread