+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Assessment Manager - Multiple teachers teaching 1 group in Technical; Hi there, wonder if anyone can help please. I have set up templates and allocated classes to create marksheets within ...

Thank Post

Assessment Manager - Multiple teachers teaching 1 group

Hi there, wonder if anyone can help please. I have set up templates and allocated classes to create marksheets within the template but if a class is taught by more than one teacher, only one teacher can see the marksheet. When I look on my template, I can see that "multiple" has been ticked against the group so it is recognising that there is more than one teacher teaching the group. When the "2nd" teacher looks at their timeline on SIMS they can see the group but when they click onto the group, the marksheet is not attached. Is there something really simple that needs to be done and I'm just missing it? I've been through lots of manuals and google searches but nothing relates to it. Any help that anybody can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Welcome to EduGeek

ah yes, Googling SIMS is always a nightmare! Blasted game

Can't think of anything obvious you're doing wrong, but maybe a couple of points that might help:
    - SIMS will not automatically update marksheets to reflect changes in course manager. What this means for you is that if the class has been split since you set up the marksheets, you're going to have to delete the marksheet and add it again to reflect the change. (NOTE: it will update the class list, so if students are moved this will happen automatically in marksheets)
    - Where there are multiple teachers for one class, they should all show up followed by a lower case letter i.e. a, b, c etc. Is this the case on your system?
    - When accessing marksheets via the marksheet tab in registers, we have found that quite often they do not all show up. If, however, you access marksheets via "Focus > Assessment > Marksheet Entry", then all will definitely show up (for this reason, we always advise staff to access them via that menu route)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Welcome to EduGeek

ah yes, Googling SIMS is always a nightmare! Blasted game

Can't think of anything obvious you're doing wrong, but maybe a couple of points that might help:
    - SIMS will not automatically update marksheets to reflect changes in course manager. What this means for you is that if the class has been split since you set up the marksheets, you're going to have to delete the marksheet and add it again to reflect the change. (NOTE: it will update the class list, so if students are moved this will happen automatically in marksheets)
    - Where there are multiple teachers for one class, they should all show up followed by a lower case letter i.e. a, b, c etc. Is this the case on your system?
    - When accessing marksheets via the marksheet tab in registers, we have found that quite often they do not all show up. If, however, you access marksheets via "Focus > Assessment > Marksheet Entry", then all will definitely show up (for this reason, we always advise staff to access them via that menu route)
    Thanks for the welcome and also thank you for the suggestions. My system doesn't show up as a lower case letter - how do I set this as that could be the problem (fingers crossed). I asked my teachers to try the "Focus>Assessment> Marksheet entry", but unfortunately, they still couldn't see them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muckers View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and also thank you for the suggestions. My system doesn't show up as a lower case letter - how do I set this as that could be the problem (fingers crossed). I asked my teachers to try the "Focus>Assessment> Marksheet entry", but unfortunately, they still couldn't see them
    It should be automatically done via timetable - do both teachers have the class on their timetable? If not, then whoever deals with your timetable will have to add them to allow them to access the marksheets.

There is a workaround, but I'd only use it as a temporary measure as it'll give the said members of staff access to all of a subject's marksheets.

To do it, go in to "Tools > Academic Management > Course Manager > Maintain Course" then search for the course in question (the name of the course is the top level of the tree that you select classes from for marksheets, e.g. "Maths (GCSE)"). Open it up and scroll down until you see the "Supervisors" panel. You can add any member of staff as a supervisor and they will be granted access to all marksheets related to that subject. As I said, I'd only use this as a temporary measure if staff need access urgently while you wait for your timetabler to assign them to the relevant classes properly.

Thank Post
    It should be automatically done via timetable - do both teachers have the class on their timetable? If not, then whoever deals with your timetable will have to add them to allow them to access the marksheets.

There is a workaround, but I'd only use it as a temporary measure as it'll give the said members of staff access to all of a subject's marksheets.

To do it, go in to "Tools > Academic Management > Course Manager > Maintain Course" then search for the course in question (the name of the course is the top level of the tree that you select classes from for marksheets, e.g. "Maths (GCSE)"). Open it up and scroll down until you see the "Supervisors" panel. You can add any member of staff as a supervisor and they will be granted access to all marksheets related to that subject. As I said, I'd only use this as a temporary measure if staff need access urgently while you wait for your timetabler to assign them to the relevant classes properly.
    That's what I can't work out! The classes appear on both of the teachers' timetables, the classes appear on both of their timelines, my templates recognise there are multiple teachers, but only one of them can see it. I've used the workaround before for our technology department teachers who want to see all of the department marksheets as they rotate groups - so I could do that in the short-term as you suggest. However, there MUST be a way, at the moment I'm waiting for our Education ICT Service to get back to me - they can't figure out why it's not working either

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me - it's much appreciated

Thank Post
    You could try checking that the class code hasn't changed, if this were changed you would need to re-create the marksheet in AM.

Is the class is still included in the course?

Does the teacher have two accounts in SIMS, i.e. personnel account and a system manager account that are not linked?
    @LosOjos: you shouldn't have to re-create the marksheet in the template for the staff to gain access to the marksheet in "My Marksheets", however their name will not show up in the template until the marksheet is re-created.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skunk View Post
    @LosOjos: you shouldn't have to re-create the marksheet in the template for the staff to gain access to the marksheet in "My Marksheets", however their name will not show up in the template until the marksheet is re-created.
    It depends how your timetable is done, here they are set up as a/b/c classes so must be added, if it's the same class then you're quite right, I agree (just wanted to clarify)

Thank Post
    That would do it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skunk View Post
    You could try checking that the class code hasn't changed, if this were changed you would need to re-create the marksheet in AM.

Is the class is still included in the course?

Does the teacher have two accounts in SIMS, i.e. personnel account and a system manager account that are not linked?
    These are new marksheets that I have created this autumn term against a previously used template. When looking in "course details", the person that can see the marksheets is showing under classes. To ensure that the other person can see the marksheets, does that person need to be added to the "supervisor" box? I don't normally touch this bit - its our SIMS Manager, but could this be the problem?

Thank Post
    Another check, is the teacher able to see any marksheets?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muckers View Post
    These are new marksheets that I have created this autumn term against a previously used template. When looking in "course details", the person that can see the marksheets is showing under classes. To ensure that the other person can see the marksheets, does that person need to be added to the "supervisor" box? I don't normally touch this bit - its our SIMS Manager, but could this be the problem?
    Both teachers should be listed under "classes", if they are not, then it suggests that the teacher who can't see their marksheet hasn't had their timetable properly set up, or that they need manually adding in for some reason. If you click "New" on the classes panel, does the teacher who can't see the marksheets name show up along with the relevant class name? If so, just add him there, save and tell them to try again. (or, do what I do, go to "Focus > Assessment > Marksheet Entry" and use the drop down box to choose whose marksheets you are looking at and confirm that they are visible - it's amazing how often the teacher is simply looking in the wrong place!)

Thank Post

Both teachers should be listed under "classes", if they are not, then it suggests that the teacher who can't see their marksheet hasn't had their timetable properly set up, or that they need manually adding in for some reason. If you click "New" on the classes panel, does the teacher who can't see the marksheets name show up along with the relevant class name? If so, just add him there, save and tell them to try again. (or, do what I do, go to "Focus > Assessment > Marksheet Entry" and use the drop down box to choose whose marksheets you are looking at and confirm that they are visible - it's amazing how often the teacher is simply looking in the wrong place!)
    There is only one teacher named against each "class". I have tried clicking on the "New" on the classes panel, but it only lists classes that haven't already been selected, not those that are needed. I've tried adding the teacher as a "supervisor" and they she can see all the classes for all the years for her subject - not ideal but I guess it can be used in the short-term until I find the solution.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    I just tried this to make sure my setup works in a few weeks. In course manager, under classes, the class only appears once against the name of the main class teacher.
    The other teacher however can see the marksheet, which is also ticked at multiple.
    Just to double check things, in the template, where you have the marksheets listed, it says the class name and then 12/13 afterwards?
    If you look at the timetable for one of the students in this troublesome group, they get a red square in the corner of that period and double clicking lists both these teachers?
    It smells like a timetabling issue, but it's odd that the second teacher sees the classes in their timeline.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread