+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, A2C on split site in Technical; Can anyone help with my quandry please. we are a split site with 2 different centre numbers 1 pre 16 ...

Thank Post

A2C on split site

Can anyone help with my quandry please.

we are a split site with 2 different centre numbers 1 pre 16 and 1 post 16. At present we are without an exams officer on the post 16 site so are managing all entries via the pre 16 site, does anyone know if you can download a key for each site and put in on one version of the A2C programme to allow it to pick up entry files for both sites.

We wouldn't ahve had this problem if we had an exams officer at the other site as we just installed the A2C programme on the 2 exams officers computers and then they had their individual keys on their computers but as we are trying to manage both sites at the moment from one place we're a bit stuck!

any ideas greatly received.

Thank Post
    We are in a similar position, the option that has been suggested by the support line is to simply run 2 copies of A2C on 2 separate workstations on the same site.

Thank Post
    oh joy! thought that might be the case, thanks for the info.

can i also ask Oaktech do you use sims? and then how do you split your entry files out to the 2 different centre numbers?

Thank Post
    We are Serco CMIS and we have 2 databases with separate centre numbers, separate in/out boxes etc, so it's a bit easier for us!

Thank Post
    oh you are lucky, we have one database for both sites, and luckily someone kindly create a splitter programme that splits out the one file into the 2 centre numbers so its a bit of a faf.

Thank Post
    We have set it up the following way here, we are not a split site but this may work for you. The problem we face is that there are several people doing the same job here and I figured when you do the access keys it writes back to the profile. SO, on our terminal server, I set up an instance with an Ad user of "a2c". I then shared this password and the link to the terminal server with everyone concerned and they can now use it. So, perhaps, create two ad users (a2c1 and a2c2 or whatever), set up instances of A2C on both those users on the Terminal Server and then share the link?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emmaburt View Post
    oh you are lucky, we have one database for both sites, and luckily someone kindly create a splitter programme that splits out the one file into the 2 centre numbers so its a bit of a faf.
    Was it the program from here by @LosOjos MIS Doesn't Support Multiple Centres? Try Exam File Split ? I thought that made it easier..

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

LosOjos (4th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Was it the program from here by @LosOjos MIS Doesn't Support Multiple Centres? Try Exam File Split ? I thought that made it easier..
    Thanks for the mention @wikpaw - yes that program will split standard exam entry files for you, I know SIMS creates these and assume all UK based MIS do. I had enquired about getting it set up as an EduGeek project to improve visibility, talks started but then I never heard anything else

It's a shame that we have to find workarounds for these things, especially as it is the exam boards who insist on separate centre numbers.

Thank Post
    Hi LosOjos,

yes it was your programme and its been great, we did find though if candidates have a exam number startin with a 0 its not happy, but have worked around that by just not giving anyone such a number.

It works great as long as the users are savy enough to do some check and make sure the outcome files are correct rather than getting in a flap about it!

I'd love to have another solution though that would just make it work directly form sims, i think there is a possible solution that will work for most things but it depends on how the exam boards provide the base data, if all boards created their base data in the same way Edexcel (and i think WJEC but i don't personally use them) then in exams organisers there is a separate exam board for GCSE and GCE and you can allocate centre numbers directly to these exam boards then you don't need to split any files but AQA and OCR just have one exam board in the base data so this doesn't work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emmaburt View Post
    we did find though if candidates have a exam number startin with a 0 its not happy
    I'll look in to fixing that, thanks for the heads up

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread