+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, FSM Ever? in Technical; So I'm being asked by SLT to create a UDG of the FSM Ever students - which is any student ...
    Thank Post

FSM Ever?

So I'm being asked by SLT to create a UDG of the FSM Ever students - which is any student that has had FSM in the last 6 years.

Is there a way to do this that I'm just being thick on?

I can't seem to get a report to run that gives me a list, and beyond that, I'm not positive that I could put them into a UDG anyways.

High School btw, well, 9-13.

Thank Post
    You aren't being thick! Until now there wasn't a requirement to retain FSM data and SIMS didn't keep a history. We do now.

SLT almost certainly want this because its one of the things that indicate that a child is getting the pupil premium and the SLT need to demonstrate that they are spending this on the right pupils. Schools aren't allowed to know who gets the premium! There are other factors such as service children.

We will be adding more in this area.

3. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

tombry (3rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the ultra quick reply!

From what I understand we want to track to to be able to know how those students are performing, mostly because ofsted is quite keen on groups, and that's one of the groups they are concerned on.

So am I right in thinking that any students data I get going forward will be retained, and therefore I'll be able to more accurately track those students, and beyond that, the school's history of working with those students?

Thank Post
    Its something just new the government has brought out called the Ever6 measure.

Further funding is being provided to schools in the pupil premium (possibly not additional money, it may be money that has already been taken away from schools, that they get back ringfenced to Pupil Premium). Schools and academies now need to be more transparent about what they have spent their Pupil Premium allocation on and must publish this information on their school website.

OfSTED are keen to see how schools are 'narrowing the gap' and the use of Pupil Premium is one way they are wanting to see disadvantaged students getting the same education as others.

Your LA, may have historical data held regarding FSM students from the past.

6. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

tombry (3rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    yeah I have that report to run tomorrow with the bursar.

I started so easy managing behavior data, and now I'm finally getting into assessment, and it's an absolute mess.

cleaning it up should be fun, but in the meantime cobbling together the information needed(wanted) is an amazing test of patience.

Thank Post
    Does anyone know of a way to display the fact a student is FSM Ever as quick reference for teachers in lessons? I know there is the Quick Note feature which we could use, but we currently use that for alerting teachers about repeat mobile phone offenders so would prefer not to use that as it would confuse matters/take time to delete the phone notes. An additional FSMEver column on registers would be great if anyone knows of a way to add extra columns manually?

tombry: I set up a report last year to create a spreadsheet with all students on that had the sub-report "Free School Meals History" and displayed the start and end dates. I then filtered out all those students that had both columns blank and this helped us to identify both current FSM and historical FSM students on the same report. Hope that may help you?

jon

Thank Post
    There is no way currently to display the Ever6 on the registers other than the quick note. I have an assessment column in all of the marksheets for staff.

You can get historical FSM information for the students in your school from the DfE's key to success website, instructions here: http://www.capitaess.co.uk/home/FSM6DownloadDfE.pdf

You can import the information into SIMS, instructions here: http://www.capitaess.co.uk/home/FSM6andDfEsite.pdf

Not sure what next year's pupil premium will look like, are more students added, are some taken off after six years?.......frankly the DfE will probably only decide the day they publish the methodology.

10. Thanks to skunk from:

tombry (12th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Schools aren't supposed to know who gets the pupil premium but are supposed to demonstrate that they are spending the money on those pupils! In spring 13, possibly the summer we will provide a flag for these pupils in the marksheet unless we are told otherwise by DfE. It is more complex than FSM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Schools aren't supposed to know who gets the pupil premium but are supposed to demonstrate that they are spending the money on those pupils! In spring 13, possibly the summer we will provide a flag for these pupils in the marksheet unless we are told otherwise by DfE. It is more complex than FSM.
    We were sent detailed instructions on how to download the FSM EVER from Key to Success, then apply to SIMS, the same as 'skunk's' post. Additionally our LEA sent us a SIMS report that then enabled us to get a list of those students. I have never seen anything that indicates schools are not to know! Totally the opposite, our school was sent instructions in order to calculate what pupil premium we would receive, this includes getting the student list from Key to Success. We have set up an aspect to store Y for FSMEver6.

13. 2 Thanks to AmandaLambert:

PhilNeal (8th October 2012), tombry (12th October 2012)

Thank Post
    I will re-check our sources!

Thank Post
    We think the DfE's position has changed (or we misunderstood)

Key to Success is showing pupils that have had FSMs but this is "not the same as a download of which pupils precisely are being allocated the Pupil Premium centrally but .. it gives schools a much better chance of being able to reconcile their own data with pupil numbers from the allocation". The quote is from our DfE contact.

There is a report in the autumn release (in the reports library) that looks at the FSM values on census day over the last 6 years. LAs have a report from the DfE that provides schools with data for children that were on FSM in their last school. You only get the premium if a child was on FSM on census day as that is all DfE know about it.
    Last edited by PhilNeal; 12th October 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Thank Post
    This is all very excellent news - I will put it on my list for Monday now - thanks to all for your responses.

Thank Post
    Here's what you have to do to obtain the historical FSM data and get it into SIMS.
    1. Log onto Key to Success
    2. Go to right hand side & pick "Pupil Premium"
    3. Download file
    4. Go into SIMS|Routines|Data In|CTF|Import CTF
    5. Select "Roll Roll"
    6. Uncheck everything except CTF History

This will then populate the table.

In autumn there is a report that lists all pupils with FSM over last 6 years BUT remember this is not a definative listing of pupils with the pupil premium.

Thank Post
    A few things to bear in mind with the Key To Success data;

-The data only goes up to 06/10/2011.
    -Standard school report only includes students on roll as at 6/10/2011
    -You can bulk search (up to 500 UPN numbers at one time) for any new pupils who have arrived after the 6/10/2011, the report can then be imported into SIMS

We have a SIMS report which then show all students, including those after the 6/10/2011, so that we are aware who is FSM Ever 6.

One thing I am still a bit confused over is when a student become FSM just after a census & then is removed just before the next one, I think they do not count! Can anyone clarify this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaLambert View Post
    One thing I am still a bit confused over is when a student become FSM just after a census & then is removed just before the next one, I think they do not count! Can anyone clarify this?
    As far as I am aware even if a student is on FSM for just one day then they count, the census is just a way of recording the data. Not sure how you proove it without the census return though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast