+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims & Server 2003 in Technical; I know I may be winning the prize for stupidest question ever but on my shiney new MIS server, I ...
    Thank Post

Sims & Server 2003

I know I may be winning the prize for stupidest question ever but on my shiney new MIS server, I am running Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition.

Will SIMS.NET run on this happily or is it a pain and isists on the 32bit edition or non-r2 or something crazy like that?

Thanks

Tom

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Sims & Server 2003

32bit only AFAIK

Thank Post

Thought so.

Thanks

Tom

Thank Post

I just installed SIMS.net on our new 64bit Windows 2003 server [running windows 2003 x64 r2 standard] , and one of the installers bitched about having to contact the provider to get a 64bit version, but other than that it seemed to install okay.

Due to the error, there maybe something like System Manager or one of the ancient looking apps that dont work - havent tried yet, but the main SIMS.net front end seems to work without any problems.

Thank Post

@Klawd
    I'm assuming that's a test install and / or you realise that system manager etc not working will bite you hard?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klawd View Post
    I just installed SIMS.net on our new 64bit Windows 2003 server [running windows 2003 x64 r2 standard] , and one of the installers bitched about having to contact the provider to get a 64bit version, but other than that it seemed to install okay.

Due to the error, there maybe something like System Manager or one of the ancient looking apps that dont work - havent tried yet, but the main SIMS.net front end seems to work without any problems.

Hi Klawd

Did your 64bit trial go successful? Do you use FMS and were they any issues using it on your 64bit platform?

Thanks

Thank Post
    We don't test on 64bit servers yet and haven't announced a date. It probably does work as in theory there should be no difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions but that is not a guarantee.

FMS is now on SQL Server so if .net works so will FMS.

What definately doesn't work is FMS, NOVA on a 64bit client.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    We don't test on 64bit servers yet and haven't announced a date. It probably does work as in theory there should be no difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions but that is not a guarantee.

FMS is now on SQL Server so if .net works so will FMS.

What definately doesn't work is FMS, NOVA on a 64bit client.
    Thanks Phil, just the information I need at least I can test it out and if it doesn't work I haven't lost anything.

Thank Post

Smile Sims.net, FMS and Server 2003 x64

In response to PhilNeal's answer about Sims.net and FMS working on 2003 x64. FMS 6.82 will not work as it is still a 16bit application and Windows 2003 Server x64 does not support 16bit applications. Even with compatibility set to windows 95 (which was a 32bit OS), it still will not install.
    When are capita releasing 32bit versions of FMS? Seeing as 32bit has been around for more than 15 years (Anyone remember OS2 Warp??).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    Having setup TS for remote Sims access on a 64 bit platform we have found these following modules do not work:
    NovaT
    Examinations
    options

and of course FMS we expected not to work can't have everything can we.
    Our teachers have found it to be an exciting time and with a little training they have come on leaps and bounds.

Thank Post
    We want to open up Terminal Services to our staff but the 16 bit issue is a killer - our Terminal Servers run on x64.

We would also like to move our SIMS install onto a 64-bit server to take advantage of the increased RAM handling abilities, but I suspect that we won't see x64 compatible apps for donkeys years yet.

Thank Post
    We are looking to support this as soon as we can. If a donkey year is 6 months then I don't think we are talking of more than 1. The issue for us is test - every platform we support increases the test burden greatly.

Supporting 64 bit for Citrix and TS is important strategically for us so it is a priority.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    We are looking to support this as soon as we can. If a donkey year is 6 months then I don't think we are talking of more than 1. The issue for us is test - every platform we support increases the test burden greatly.

Supporting 64 bit for Citrix and TS is important strategically for us so it is a priority.
    I think itís the way forward, most of our servers are x64 one that isnít is the SIMS server. I know this might be a while of but the release after Server 2008will only support x64 and upwards.

Thank Post

2003 x64 and FMS

We are running x64 for the terminal server with SIMS installed but our FMS is runnning on 2003 standard. Luckily 2003 comes with 2 Administrative Logins for remote desktop which we are using for the FMS login. We used to have it running the app automatically from login but as we required use of FMS and Dinner Money simultaneously, i had to change to using a desktop. It looks as though capita are only just beginning to embrace the 64 bit world which has now been around for years. Granted it has only just in the past little while come to windows world. Surely capita would have looked to the future a few years ago when Microsoft announced 64bit versions of windows on its way. On another note, I did hear FMS is going to be incorporated into SIMS and not as a seperate application. Is this true?
    We have been a terminal server school for many years now with thin clients, help from the LEA is limited because they dont understand this technology (cant think why, its been around longer than the desktop computer!!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread