+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Behaviour Lookups in SIMS in Technical; Does anyone know which lookup tables control the following fields: "Type" drop-down under Achievements (e.g. "academic achievement" or "school band") ...
    Thank Post

Behaviour Lookups in SIMS

Does anyone know which lookup tables control the following fields:

"Type" drop-down under Achievements (e.g. "academic achievement" or "school band")
    "Type" drop-down under Behaviour (e.g. "Assault" or "bullying")
    "Role" drop-down under Behaviour (e.g. "Participant" or "Target")

Thank Post
    Tools | Setups and then the Behaviour and Achievement types in the menu

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Isn't it annoying how all the lookups aren't in the same place!

Thank Post
    Thanks, that's great.

I've long since stopped being surprised at how things are laid out in SIMS :-(

Thank Post
    Linked to this issue, does anyone know how to change the behaviour types so only certain members of staff have access to them.

For example under type if you only wanted head of year to be able to have access to input "Assault", and not an ordinary teacher. At the moment staff are having to go in and enabling a behaviour type using it , then going back and disabling it. The consequence of this is if they forget to de-active it again all staff can see it.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Thank Post
    @TGilly - The solution is staff training! If they are not allowed to use it, then they should be told so, and act accordingly. I know, easier said than done.
    You could help the situation by setting up a homepage panel just monitoring for those event types so the HoY can see as and when it's applied to their year and so know it needs intervention.

Enabling and disabling is really just hindering the staff, which isn't what we're here for.

Thank Post
    All staff having access is the issue here. The only way round it I can see is a UDF that only HOY can see? Telling all staff does not seem to be an option, as it's to risky letting them have these options. Thanks for the welcome

Thank Post
    A UDF's visibility will be determined by the section you place it in. It's unlikely from that viewpoint a HOY will be any different to another teacher, unless you give them extra permissions.
    As a behaviour entry it will also be isolated and not linked to the rest of the student's record.
    Perhaps this should be something that is enabled on request and only you do it so you remember to turn it off. Do you get a lot of assault? Where is your school

Thank Post
    That is an option, but I don't really want to manage changing that all the time. Also worries me when I active it another staff maybe in it at the same time and add an event they should not be able to. There must be a way in which you can create a group which can only use certain behaviour types?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TGilly View Post
    That is an option, but I don't really want to manage changing that all the time. Also worries me when I active it another staff maybe in it at the same time and add an event they should not be able to. There must be a way in which you can create a group which can only use certain behaviour types?
    Unfortunately, as it stands it's not that flexible. Ultimately though, why is it needed. We should be dealing with professionals and if they are told not to do something, they should follow the guidelines or face sanctions, in much the same way students have to, and is the reason for you using the behaviour module!

It's no different to saying, don't hit the children, swearing is not allowed, don't wear jeans, don't call parents without first speaking to the form tutor etc.

I would stick with making the guarded behaviour types come up on a report so you can monitor their usage, and then try to persuade staff not to. An example of a well defined behaviour policy is here : Secondary | Sanctions | The British School of Kuwait including who can apply which type of sanction.

I will check with them if they have an issue where staff record things they shouldn't.

Thank Post
    You can rename the Behaviour Types and add a prefix to represent who is allowed to use them, e.g. CT, DH, HY etc. This may help keep them reminded that some categories need to be referred to a higher power. :O)

Thank Post
    I have a reward for our tutor groups, and I have told staff not to use it. I have two members of staff that do use it, and sent around an email to all staff saying that only I am allowed to use that reward, and that all others given will be removed for not following it.

I very quickly got two emails apologizing, stating that they didn't realize that part of the achievement.

I really don't understand why you would need more than that to get staff not to use something - the only thing I limit are the options available on the registers, and that's mostly because the list would be too long otherwise.

as for the original question, I set a bunch of bullying categories last year, and linked a bunch of BIs to bullying as well as something else, and it took me forever to find the 2 or 3 places I had to find to get it right.

in the end though, it is reported so little in my school, that I don't think it will ever be used.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread