+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMs.net upgrade in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k Haha, SOLUS3 works fine. It only has issues if your network has issues. Got over 50 ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Haha, SOLUS3 works fine. It only has issues if your network has issues. Got over 50 schools that would argue with anyone that says SOLUS3 doesn't work - still could be a Suffolk thing.
    It is.

Thank Post
    My god that horrid. I assume you have it only applied to SIMS machines, otherwise you've just killed FMS. Not sure why you do the startmenu - the installer does it.

Also I dread to think what your permissions are on the \\server\simsfolder. I hope it's an admin only network
    Grow up. Why assume anything about the permissions on my SIMS folder.

This script works and has for about 8 years, which is more than can be said for Solus.
    The start menu thing is because the installer used to do a shortcut which checked for updates then ran SIMS. Guess they changed that at some stage.

Good call on FMS. I don't know anything about it, but I guess it would only be on the admin computers not on the classroom computers, and hopefully they are in different OUs

This is certainly better than making teachers local admins, power users or on having your network hanging because Solus has caused chaos.( I am assuming that most people are running around 100 SIMS workstations, like we do)

Sometimes if you have nothing helpful to say, then work on saying nothing.

Nwikie, if you are still getting stuck then PM me. I will move off thread and leave matt40k beating his chest.

Thank Post
    I think you just made @Mcshammer_dj sad.
    Ha the reason it feels like a life time is having staff go... is it fixed yet? is it fixed yet, is it fixed yet... then an hour later the same staff member (after you have told them it is being looked into earlier) goes is it fixed yet is it fixed yet... Having this said to you multiple times over a day soon starts to make the response time of the LA feel like a lifetime lol.

4. Thanks to nwikie from:

matt40k (28th September 2012)

Thank Post
    @Feral - 8 years ago your permissions was physical - admin was completely separate from curriculum. Now schools have a single network. Looking at your script - useful as it was - it seems to indicate that you have your sims share permissions set to allow guest access - otherwise your script won't have access, as the account the computer logon script runs as wouldn't have permissions.

So basically I could walk into your school, plug in my laptop, get an IP address from yout DHCP you most likely have setup, look for your admin server which is mostly called something like SIMS or server. Then get into your SIMS drive - now being silly you appear to be, how long do you think it would take me to get into the SIMS database? Having said that you most likely have your SIMS database in that share so I could just copy it off then walk off.

I hope for your sake you haven't make your school name public.

My I suggest you take a step back when you receive feedback in the future, rather then taking as a personal attack.

6. Thanks to matt40k from:

Jamo (28th September 2012)

Thank Post
    @Feral - 8 years ago your permissions was physical - admin was completely separate from curriculum. Now schools have a single network. Looking at your script - useful as it was - it seems to indicate that you have your sims share permissions set to allow guest access - otherwise your script won't have access, as the account the computer logon script runs as wouldn't have permissions.

So basically I could walk into your school, plug in my laptop, get an IP address from yout DHCP you most likely have setup, look for your admin server which is mostly called something like SIMS or server. Then get into your SIMS drive - now being silly you appear to be, how long do you think it would take me to get into the SIMS database? Having said that you most likely have your SIMS database in that share so I could just copy it off then walk off.

I hope for your sake you haven't make your school name public.

My I suggest you take a step back when you receive feedback in the future, rather then taking as a personal attack.

It could be authenticated users, or domain computers on the S Drive that wouldn't allow guest access but would allow computers attached to the domain to work.

Thank Post
    Ah right, so might take a little bit longer

9. Thanks to matt40k from:

Jamo (28th September 2012)

Thank Post
    I have no idea why you assume admin was separate from curriculum. I have run them combined for around 13 years now.

I think you should take a deeper look into how active directory works and the different ways you can grant or deny permissions and on what levels. Suffice to say, allowing authenticated workstations read access to the SIMS set up folders is very unlikely to result in a compromised system.

I am sure you could walk into my school and plug in your laptop, but the dhcp server giving it to you would be the one on our guest vlan. Have fun with that. Managed switches - look into them.

You do know SIMS runs on SQL? Because who stores a database file on a file server? Especially one as inefficient as the SIMS database. Not even the LEA stores the SIMS database there.

I guess you work in a primary school using RM where things like you describe do go on, but please don't assume everyone is on your level.

May I suggest that in the future, when you hear or read, a different way of doing things you take a step back and think before attacking it just because it is different from the way you do things. I offered someone a solution, and you leapt out to attack it, basing all your attacks on assumptions.

I have just checked, and I have SIMS on 117 computers. To upgrade these takes me a few seconds to change a batch file. Then when they switch on in the morning they upgrade. This has worked without fault for a very long time because I took the time to work it out and try something new.

Maybe you should too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    I have no idea why you assume admin was separate from curriculum. I have run them combined for around 13 years now.

I think you should take a deeper look into how active directory works and the different ways you can grant or deny permissions and on what levels. Suffice to say, allowing authenticated workstations read access to the SIMS set up folders is very unlikely to result in a compromised system.

I am sure you could walk into my school and plug in your laptop, but the dhcp server giving it to you would be the one on our guest vlan. Have fun with that. Managed switches - look into them.

You do know SIMS runs on SQL? Because who stores a database file on a file server? Especially one as inefficient as the SIMS database. Not even the LEA stores the SIMS database there.

I guess you work in a primary school using RM where things like you describe do go on, but please don't assume everyone is on your level.

May I suggest that in the future, when you hear or read, a different way of doing things you take a step back and think before attacking it just because it is different from the way you do things. I offered someone a solution, and you leapt out to attack it, basing all your attacks on assumptions.

I have just checked, and I have SIMS on 117 computers. To upgrade these takes me a few seconds to change a batch file. Then when they switch on in the morning they upgrade. This has worked without fault for a very long time because I took the time to work it out and try something new.

Maybe you should too.
    Nova-T and the like store their data files on the S: drive as does the SIMS document store.

Either way, all methods are valid its up to personal preference. I have an automated system based on timeflags and a scheduled task so its completely automated from the client perspective

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Nova-T and the like store their data files on the S: drive as does the SIMS document store.

Either way, all methods are valid its up to personal preference. I have an automated system based on timeflags and a scheduled task so its completely automated from the client perspective
    SIMSLoad for us, and it will stay that way until the SOLUS3 rollout is completed.

Thank Post
    @Feral - fine, your network is all secure. Whatever, I don't care if it is or it isn't, I don't support you and I don't care what happens to you and your network. What I do care about is the advise you post on a public forum detailing a method that is, well not ideal for most schools and could end up leading to me having to deal with call I would rather not have.

I accept SOLUS3 isn't idea for some, but it's the future.

I guess you work in a primary school using RM
    ROFL!!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    HAHA

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    SIMSLoad for us, and it will stay that way until the SOLUS3 rollout is completed.

Yeah SIMSLoad is the same here, its just called from a scheduled task, that way you miss out all the UAC prompts on Windows 7

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    When will capita rename this (Is it wrong that it always makes me giggle a bit inside?)
    LOL, nope me too : SIMS Sperm Bath

Pretty sure someone will pop along and tidy the script so it checks for SIMS presence and version so it can be domain wide script, but this will work.
    I wrote a vb app to simulate what SIMSLoad does and prompt the user whether or not to initiate upgrade.

It parses the local file "c:\program files\sims\sims .net\simsload.ini" into an array of param|value pairs, then checks the "SIMSApplicationSetup" value against the version of simsapplicationsetup on server = "s:\sims\setups\simsapplicationsetup.exe".

The version comes from this line of code "Dim Info = FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo(sRemoteFileLoc)" , but i don't know how to translate all that into your script, but that's what SIMS does to check if an update is needed.

Thank Post
    SimsLoad.exe works but I have a question is it possible to have it so the sims.net short cut will launch simsload.exe first then launch the program?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nwikie View Post
    SimsLoad.exe works but I have a question is it possible to have it so the sims.net short cut will launch simsload.exe first then launch the program?
    I thought the SIMS installer created the SIMS shortcut with it in by default?

If not, set the shortcut to "C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net\SIMSLoad.exe" "C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net\Pulsar.exe"
    Last edited by Rawns; 3rd October 2012 at 01:49 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast