+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48
MIS Systems Thread, SIMs.net upgrade in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k Cough... SOLUS3... Cough... Does it even work yet?...
  1. #16
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Cough... SOLUS3... Cough...

    Does it even work yet?

  2. #17

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    1,968
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 489 Times in 335 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Cough... SOLUS3... Cough...

    ... and SOLUS3 gets coughed up like a furball.

  3. #18

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,406
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 639 Times in 521 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Haha, SOLUS3 works fine. It only has issues if your network has issues. Got over 50 schools that would argue with anyone that says SOLUS3 doesn't work - still could be a Suffolk thing.

  4. #19
    rad
    rad is offline
    rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,481
    Thank Post
    335
    Thanked 308 Times in 236 Posts
    Rep Power
    109
    Just get Capita to release a product that doesn't require umpteen updates. Our sims support have put a fair few updates recently for me, NM is off and I haven't a clue!

  5. #20


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,588
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Just get Capita to release a product that doesn't require umpteen updates. Our sims support have put a fair few updates recently for me, NM is off and I haven't a clue!
    i just dont get why for attendance it cant be an internally hosted webpage its just a few ticks in boxes

  6. #21

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,808
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i just dont get why for attendance it cant be an internally hosted webpage its just a few ticks in boxes
    I havn't used sims.net for a good 6 months but can you not right click on the register and add behaviour reports etc

  7. #22


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,588
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I havn't used sims.net for a good 6 months but can you not right click on the register and add behaviour reports etc
    not a clue my knowledge is how to install and if school secretary is busy/useless generate a report for yeargroups to add to server

  8. #23
    superfletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South
    Posts
    434
    Thank Post
    146
    Thanked 77 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Seriously though which are you using, SOLUS 2 or 3?

    It makes a difference to the answer.

  9. #24

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,808
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    not a clue my knowledge is how to install and if school secretary is busy/useless generate a report for yeargroups to add to server
    Yup - when using all the parts of sims there is a lot you can do from the register. But I'm fairly sure it would be possible to do from a browser and tie back into the SQL but Capita have said its not going web-based for a good few years*

    *I'm fairly sure they have confirmed till like 2018 or something stupid when the rest of the world will be done

  10. #25
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i just dont get why for attendance it cant be an internally hosted webpage its just a few ticks in boxes
    Exactly, its just a poor piece of design having attendance locked into the main products upgrade cycle.

    Teachers aren't using any other feature here in classrooms other than the attendance module yet they still have to go through the pain of updating every 3 months. They are going about it the wrong way as well with the beast that is the solus 3 upgrade that no one even uses. Far better would be to use clever design to get around these update problems.

    We do use Groupcall emerge these days and its much better. Sad fact that someone else had to write a product though.

    EDIT: ooo that was a good rant for a Friday morning
    Last edited by zag; 28th September 2012 at 08:44 AM.

  11. #26
    nwikie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    9
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    I dont think the LA have released SOLUS3 here yet. Any way I have tried all of the above recomendations and still nothing I have checked the SIMS.ini file to see if that is correct. I have even run the DPUpdate.exe on the clients to see if that sorts things out. Last attempt now is to contact the LA and wait a life time for a response

  12. #27
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by nwikie View Post
    I dont think the LA have released SOLUS3 here yet. Any way I have tried all of the above recomendations and still nothing I have checked the SIMS.ini file to see if that is correct. I have even run the DPUpdate.exe on the clients to see if that sorts things out. Last attempt now is to contact the LA and wait a life time for a response
    Try adding them to the administrators local group. Power users should be enough though on windows 7.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Apply to an OU where your SIMS workstations are installed as a start up script:

    Check folder versions as in script below - currently V7, and everytime you upgrade SIMS, change the check and then the created folder at the end of the script to a different version.

    Pretty sure someone will pop along and tidy the script so it checks for SIMS presence and version so it can be domain wide script, but this will work.

    Just restart PC and wait 5 mins after applying via group policy as a COMPUTER start up script - not USER

    if exist "c:\Program Files\SIMS\sims .net\V7" goto :end ELSE
    :inst
    rd "c:\Program Files\SIMS" /s /q
    net use s: \\server\simsfolder /P:No
    s:
    s:\sims\setups\SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe -a {QuietMode}
    s:\sims\setups\SIMSapplicationsetup.exe /s {QuietMode} {NoServerApps} [SIMSDirectory]="S:\SIMS" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net" [SIMSSetupsDirectory]=\\server\simsfolder\SIMS\Setups
    s:\sims\setups\SIMSAMPARKSetup.exe /s {QuietMode} {NoServerApps} [SIMSDirectory]="S:\SIMS" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net"
    rd "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\SIMS Applications" /s /q
    xcopy s:\SIMS\setups\connect.ini "c:\program files\sims\SIms .net\" /h /y
    rd "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\SIMS" /s /q
    xcopy "s:\sims\Start Menu" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\" /S /y
    xcopy s:\SIMS\sims.ini "c:\windows" /h /y
    c:
    cd "%ProgramFiles%\SIMS\SIMS .Net"
    md V7
    net use /delete * /y
    :end

  14. #29

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,406
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 639 Times in 521 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by nwikie View Post
    Last attempt now is to contact the LA and wait a life time for a response
    I think you just made @Mcshammer_dj sad.

  15. #30

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,406
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 639 Times in 521 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    if exist "c:\Program Files\SIMS\sims .net\V7" goto :end ELSE
    :inst
    rd "c:\Program Files\SIMS" /s /q
    net use s: \\server\simsfolder /P:No
    s:
    s:\sims\setups\SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe -a {QuietMode}
    s:\sims\setups\SIMSapplicationsetup.exe /s {QuietMode} {NoServerApps} [SIMSDirectory]="S:\SIMS" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net" [SIMSSetupsDirectory]=\\server\simsfolder\SIMS\Setups
    s:\sims\setups\SIMSAMPARKSetup.exe /s {QuietMode} {NoServerApps} [SIMSDirectory]="S:\SIMS" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net"
    rd "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\SIMS Applications" /s /q
    xcopy s:\SIMS\setups\connect.ini "c:\program files\sims\SIms .net\" /h /y
    rd "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\SIMS" /s /q
    xcopy "s:\sims\Start Menu" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\" /S /y
    xcopy s:\SIMS\sims.ini "c:\windows" /h /y
    c:
    cd "%ProgramFiles%\SIMS\SIMS .Net"
    md V7
    net use /delete * /y
    :end
    My god that horrid. I assume you have it only applied to SIMS machines, otherwise you've just killed FMS. Not sure why you do the startmenu - the installer does it.

    Also I dread to think what your permissions are on the \\server\simsfolder. I hope it's an admin only network

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] Sims.NET - SQL 2008 upgrade to SQL 2008 R2
    By dan400007 in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30th July 2012, 03:08 PM
  2. SIMS.Net upgrade on clients
    By _techie_ in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th September 2009, 06:28 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 7th November 2007, 11:14 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th October 2007, 06:21 PM
  5. SIMS .Net upgrade - database backup problems
    By WithoutMotive in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th February 2006, 02:43 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •