+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Registers PE / portable in Technical; Yeah, especially when Emerge now supports taking photos and videos to add to Behaviour incidents....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Yeah, especially when Emerge now supports taking photos and videos to add to Behaviour incidents.

Thank Post
    I'd factored in the additional cost of a mobile contract but not really thought about how much data would be transferred and those costs.

Thank Post
    That's why wifi is good. Otherwise, what are those giff gaff jobbies like? I've heard they are cheap and unlimited.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
    I'd factored in the additional cost of a mobile contract but not really thought about how much data would be transferred and those costs.
    Well, as Vik and myself have pointed out, the basic data packages shoudl cover "standard" use on most mobile products.
    It's only if you are considering the use of the more data heavy aspects of these products that you need to start worrying.
    I can't comment on the newer addition to Emerge (especially if your teachers start getting video evidence happy) but the basic data transmittance of that and our own products should be well within the standard download tariff of most contracts.

To give you some REALLY rough ballpark figures (and these are from our product couldn't comment on Emerge) each register uses approximately 72kb.
    If we multiply this up for 6 period day, 5 day week, 4 week month it comes in at just under 9mb.
    If you use the options for pupil photo's then it's approximately 12kb per student instead of the 72kb for the entire register. But you can see that even that won't really cut into "most" download tariffs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The key point with Emerge is you can delay uploading all content to the server until you are back within a wifi zone, so you don't HAVE to have a contract at all. You could do it on a ipod touch?

Edit: I just missed the post where it says 'no wireless'... I wonder if Emerge would download via a hardline once back in the office?
    Last edited by GREED; 2nd October 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Thank Post
    I don't think it does hardline sync intrinsically, and it could be a pain on iDevice, but i was going to ask if they could port the app to say the mac and / or pc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This all seems very long winded to avoid using wireless. Interested to know the reason why.

If you have the app on mac/pc doesn't that make the mobile element pointless?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    If you have the app on mac/pc doesn't that make the mobile element pointless?
    PE don't have computers in the playground or the middle of the football field.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    PE don't have computers in the playground or the middle of the football field.
    Sorry that part was in reply to Vik, I know there are no computers in the playground.... As in the whole point of a solution is it needs to be mobile, so needs to be far removed from any static device. I situation of syncing to a static device at the end of the lesson or day is my suggested errr suggestion. Emerge may not do that though
    Last edited by GREED; 3rd October 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Sorry that part was in reply to Vik, I know there are no computers in the playground.... As in the whole point of a solution is it needs to be mobile, so needs to be far removed from any static device. I situation of syncing to a static device at the end of the lesson or day is my suggested errr suggestion. Emerge may not do that though
    fair enough mate, i should probably have read further up the thread!

Thank Post
    I meant an app for mac / pc would work on a netbook, which was what we used in PE before iPads. Also any docking style tablet would then function in that way. So i was thinking more along the lines of a laptop or netbook which would be mobile and dockable by ethernet so can sync up later, granted the mobility isn't as good as a phone or tablet.

12. Thanks to vikpaw from:

GREED (3rd October 2012)

Thank Post

Emerge and 3G

Quote Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
    Hi

Lots of different strands here, but I'll try and cover all of them..

1. Apple devices can only sync via WiFi or 3G, so you can't use a physical connection.
    2. We can't use Wifi in this situation, so 3G is the only option.
    3. Emerge is very flexible in terms of its use of bandwidth for any connection including 3G, we can adjust all of the sync options to dramatically reduce the bandwidth usage to cater for this situation and are very happy to do it as part of an installation.
    4. Although some people have commented to the contrary, Emerge is pretty efficient when it comes to uploading pictures and video relating to behaviour and achievement entries. See the following:-

- Behaviour entry with 1 picture attached (76K)
    - Behaviour entry with 2 pictures attached (122K)
    - Behaviour entry with 11 second video attached (1.1MB)

I just had a quick look at o2 and found the lowest data packages you can buy at the moment is 100MB per month. In simple terms, ignoring any other usage, that would be 839 uploads of 2 pictures or 100 uploads of 10 second videos clips each month. I suspect most people will have more bandwidth and even if they don't, that's still quite a lot of uploading.

My conclusion is that Emerge is usable on 3G, you should look at your data allowance to make sure you have a sensible package and it obviously depends on your usage, but for all the reasons given above, if shouldn't be prohibitive.

I hope that helps.

Kind Regards
    Lawrence

14. Thanks to LawrenceRoyston from:

GREED (3rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That cleared that up!

Lawrence, is the physical sync not available because it is an apple device (Apple restrictions) or something you have not looked into/built?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceRoyston View Post
    My conclusion is that Emerge is usable on 3G, you should look at your data allowance to make sure you have a sensible package and it obviously depends on your usage, but for all the reasons given above, if shouldn't be prohibitive.
    Indeed, the important item is to ensure you're mobile tariff is appropriate.
    I couldn't comment before on Emerge transfer rates but "now" I would just like to add, very nice compression rates there Lawrence.

Thank Post
    That cleared that up!

Lawrence, is the physical sync not available because it is an apple device (Apple restrictions) or something you have not looked into/built?
    Its the former, its because its an Apple device
    L.

18. Thanks to LawrenceRoyston from:

GREED (3rd October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast