+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Scanning to SIMS in Technical; We want to start scanning letters, etc into SIMS rather than devote entire rooms to keeping paper archives. What do ...
    Thank Post

Scanning to SIMS

We want to start scanning letters, etc into SIMS rather than devote entire rooms to keeping paper archives. What do we need in order to do this? Other than the obvious requirements of some form of SIMS connector interface on our MFPs, what else do I need to consider? Presumably the documents get saved outside of the database, but will the links to them take much space? I'm conscious we're still on SQL Express so need to be careful with database sizes.

There is budget available for this, so I'm happy to spend for a decent solution than cobble a cheap-and-cheerful one together.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,201 Posts
    I don't think they will take up too much room. The files live in the document store, so if you're going the whole hog, put it somewhere expandable, with good read / write. Easy to backup etc. It doesn't have to be the root of C.
    If you're committing this much to SIMS, then it's about time you upped the game to Full SQL, as you will want to take advantage of size as well as RAM / CPU utilization.
    If you're upgrading things, then if you aren't already then virtualising SIMS is really useful and a SAN for storage would be nice.
    Plus if there's anything left in the budget a 60" LCD display with a Navaho MediaCat for highlighting the missing registers panel is also nice

EDIT: I take it you already know about who can provide the connectors, here's one http://www.cohesionsoftware.co.uk/
    Last edited by vikpaw; 26th September 2012 at 01:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks Vikpaw.

CPU/RAM utilisation isn't much of a problem, as SIMS is sitting on a server that only runs SIMS and our Sage finance system so isn't massively overloaded yet. That said, it is nearing end-of-life in a year or so and I was planning on going virtualised with the replacement box. With regards to database size, do you know how much space assessment and attendance data typically take up? Our database is some way off the 2GB limit at present, but if this is about to ramp up quite quickly, I'd like to know about it before we implement rather than after.

By coincidence, I had arranged a meeting earlier today with the company who provide our managed print system, and they also do a SIMS connector, so I think I will do it through them.

Thank Post
    Enjay if you are happy to PM me with your contact details and who supplies your managed print solution I will get one of my Capita colleagues to provide some advice direct to you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,201 Posts
    Since end of April 2011, i've gained 300MB on my daily backup. The current actual mdf is 4.3GB and ldf is 256MB, but the .bak file is 3.9GB so there is some pre-expanded space in there, which is fine.

We have at most 1500 students, from KG to IB. All have attendance for AM session. All have assessment in a range of subjects, at least 5-10 for primary, be they comments or grades, Upper School, have 2-4 grades per subject, plus comments, twice a year. So there's a fair old whack for 17months. It's not a great overhead.

Adding documents though will rapidly ramp up your storage requirements. I think our doc store is over 9GB now, and i'm sure it was only 5-6GB at some point last year.

Beware of managed print services, you could end up on Panorama!

Thank Post
    Thanks Vikpaw, that's really helpful.

So, it doesn't look like database size is going to be an issue in the short term anyway; docstorage could be one to watch, but since that it outside of the db, it isn't a massive issue.

Thank Post
    I used Cohesion in my last school. Had a whole bunch of RecordLink/eCopy (now paperworks) setups on MFP's around the school. Worked really well and was easy to use (until they added PCounter, but thats another story .. erm, nightmare!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread