+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, [Review] TASC Insight Parent Portal in Technical; Originally Posted by vikpaw I know but we've identified the key elements of our VLE are a student and parent ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I know but we've identified the key elements of our VLE are a student and parent portal where homework can be set and collected.
    Any other features like marking etc would also be useful.
    We currently have moodle for more complex stuff
    Insight is excellent as a Parental and Student Portal but not sure you can use it to set and collect Homework you can upload documents to it but not sure you can do much more than this but may be wrong.

We are looking at Moodle as regards setting homework and marking we have a few staff now using Moodle to set Homework so have linked Classes and Subjects into Moodle and are looking at using quizzes\tests in Moodle to use for marking we have one of our teachers trying the quizzes\tests and auto marking against classes now Class structure is linked into Moodle so pulls results against class. We can see huge benefits from this if we get this right allocate Resource against class, set quiz\test and gives back results against the class. You could also use this data for revision see where students hadn't quite grasped a certain topic so extra resources or revision etc.

2. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

vikpaw (25th March 2013)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi @zag, we're looking at this and got a few questions.
    Presumably teachers get access to set up homework etc. How does this work, is it easy enough?
    Can you do file sharing e.g. teacher submits base document to be modified, each student submits their revision?
    Also does it have any grading / marking feature?
    Trying to work out how evolved the VLE functionality is.
    Basically no.

As others have said this is not a student VLE, its a parent portal.

Its main features are live online reports, checking attendance, booking parents evenings, Choosing subject options, Tracking student achievement and behaviour, access to timetables ect.

4. Thanks to zag from:

vikpaw (25th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Cheers, tht so.
    What's the teacher access to insight then? Log in linked to AD and see your classes, set the homework?
    Can they set individual or sub-group homework?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cheers, tht so.
    What's the teacher access to insight then? Log in linked to AD and see your classes, set the homework?
    Can they set individual or sub-group homework?
    I've never used the teacher side, but I guess its for things like checking their parents evenings bookings.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Oh, I thought it was for setting homework or what I think they call assignments.
    Does anyone do this?

Thank Post
    Oh, I thought it was for setting homework or what I think they call assignments.
    Does anyone do this?
    I have the Teachers linked to their SIM's accounts (but could be AD I think) for logins, Parents with the Auto generated ones and Students linked to AD, basically the Teachers can see what the Parents and Students can see as in Attendance, Behaviour, Reports, Exams but this is very configurable so Staff can see upto date attendance but parents a couple of days behind so you can configure slightly differen't views for different users quite easily. This helps where a Parent might be querying something as a Teacher has the same view but where a Parent can only see their child a teacher can see any student. Staff can also get some basic information like contact phone numbers etc but basic information that is available in SIM's. You can also use Insight to book Parents Evening Appointments although we don't use this feature at the moment.

Trying to develop this in Moodle as regards setting assignments and having these marked one of our History Teachers is testing this out she already sets all Home works in Moodle and is looking at setting Quizzes\tests and having these auto marked by class group.

9. 2 Thanks to Steven_Cleaver:

vikpaw (26th March 2013), zag (2nd April 2013)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just installed the latest service pack.

It took 30 seconds and 2 clicks and worked perfectly first time.

This is how software should be made!

11. Thanks to zag from:

Steven_Cleaver (2nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I just installed the latest service pack.

It took 30 seconds and 2 clicks and worked perfectly first time.

This is how software should be made!
    Completely agree installed the last one a week or so ago as you say really easy couple of clicks and I also like the way they don't force you to Install just leave this up to you, if you want new functionality etc.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just a small update, we have been using their parents evening booking feature with great success recently. Its worked really well.

We now have 100% takeup of this for all year groups that have booked parents evenings.

TASC also fixed the deletion of batch reports feature I mentioned in an earlier post.

Thank Post
    Just been reading this thread after zag had suggested TASC on another thread I had started.

One quick question for anyone who uses TASC Insight - Is it possible to set up teachers and have them submit attendance registers via Insight? I'm thinking for off-site registration at our partner school.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Just been reading this thread after zag had suggested TASC on another thread I had started.

One quick question for anyone who uses TASC Insight - Is it possible to set up teachers and have them submit attendance registers via Insight? I'm thinking for off-site registration at our partner school.
    Nope, this is a parent gateway.

We use Groupcall Emerge for registers on ipads.

Thank Post
    As said earlier INSIGHT is a parent portal, that said we do use the AD link so that all pupils have accounts but, as yet we do not make use of the teacher accounts. Because we use PARS for registration the teachers can enter Homework assignments and the pupils and parents do see this information. Registers can be done remotely using CONNECT and we are moving to this next academic year, mainly for PE staff.

Thank Post

You would use PARS Connect for this, which is a web based version of PARS. There are additional costs there though, on top of Insight.

Thank Post

Nope as Number 34 has said you can do this using Connect we gave this a go as a trial and seemed to work fine but we use a Remote Access system so staff use this to do registers reports etc in PAR's, but when we tried Connect a couple of years back seemed like a good product as is all the Tasc systems we use to be honest.

Thank Post
    Can anyone advise as to a recommended IIS VM spec for whole-school PARS Connect usage (around 700 pupils) for attendance, behaviour, detentions and the rest?

It's been deathly slow on our current VM with 1 core and 4GB RAM even with just one concurrent user - which was probably to be expected! - but what kind of resource allocation are people finding that works well?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast