+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Preferences - per user? per machine? global? in Technical; Hi guys, Just wondering if anyone knows if certain options in SIMS are per user, per computer or global when ...
    Thank Post

SIMS Preferences - per user? per machine? global?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows if certain options in SIMS are per user, per computer or global when set through a System Manager account?
    I've had a problem with the second period in a double period not being marked in Lesson Monitor automatically when the first period is marked.
    This has happened with a number of people on a number of machines but only some of the time.

A bit of researched shows that there is an issue with this but a workaround is an option in Tools>Setups>Attendance Setup>Module Setup called "Use Toggle Marks within Take Register". With this unticked, it resolves the problem. I don't know whether me setting it does it for everyone, whether every user needs to do in in their SIMS account or whether every user needs to check the option is unticked on every machine they're using.

Oh, it's all good fun.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    That's global, close and re-open sims perhaps

3. Thanks to matt40k from:

WithoutMotive (14th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As Matt40k says, that setting is global, but there are a lot of options (eg setting academic year) that are per user - which i always find baffling!

5. Thanks to cheesypete from:

WithoutMotive (14th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys.
    in which case their workaround hasn't worked for me. Despite this box unchecked, the problem remains even when SIMS is logged off and on again. I'll probe deeper.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Section one of that setup page isn't global, it's per user, so it's possible it's broken.
    I'm sure it's not the case here, but in the distant past, i remember having to give a user admin rights so they could see a setting, let them change it and save it, then having to remove the admin rights.

Anyhow, isn't there a fix for the issue on the whole. I thought it was linked to not having a room set on the double period, or having each period in different rooms.
    Tools | Setups | Lesson Monitor Options | Lesson Monitor Setup , under section 5 has a setting related to this. I hate that toggle setting, we have it off here.

Either way, whenever you're changing the options, just double check you're in a high, module related permissions group, e.g. Attendance Manager, and Curriculum Manager, because System Manager may give you access to things, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's any higher access with regard to saving global changes. In theory if you can access a higher level task, you should be able to control it. But that's theory!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread