+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 163
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS & MSI in Technical; Originally Posted by Quackers Last post was well over a year ago, can anybody tell me if there is finally ...
  1. #76

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,652
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Last post was well over a year ago, can anybody tell me if there is finally a Group Policy deployable MSI available from Capita?
    No. There is no MSI as yet.

  2. #77

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,386
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    You won't be worrying about deploying it via Group policy when SOLUS3 phase 2 comes out.

  3. #78
    joe90bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    S Wales
    Posts
    1,349
    Thank Post
    322
    Thanked 107 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You won't be worrying about deploying it via Group policy when SOLUS3 phase 2 comes out.
    Do tell us more!?

  4. #79
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,310
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 141 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You won't be worrying about deploying it via Group policy when SOLUS3 phase 2 comes out.
    How else will i want software to be installed when a PC is rebuilt? Is SIMS going to just run from a mapped drive? For the obscene amount of money Capita take for SIMS i find the fact they do not offer an MSI for deploying SIMS to workstations shocking.

  5. #80

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,386
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    SOLUS 3 phase 2 (will refer to as P2) is included as part of your normal license cost (shocking as it may seem that Capita isn't charging for it). P2 will be able to use AD to discover your machines. Once you've got a nice list of computers you can then deploy the agent out, which in turns installs SIMS (and FMS etc), sound like MSI over AD? Well once you've got the agent out you can report on basic info (CPU, RAM, HDD space), so you can print it off, go to SLT and go, hey I need x new machines because there rubbish and won't run SIMS well. Come upgrade day, the server pushs the update out to the client, because the agent is running as a service it doesn't use the users permissions, nor if they've tried to open SIMS or indeed logged on!
    Say you have 5 SLT fixed workstation, you could have it set to roll back should those 5 machines fail to upgrade successfully. It should be able to WOL as well, but we'll see. They are talking about using it more, so when they mess up a release rather then making us re-download the same release, minus the one file they had to change, we could just download that one file.

    That's all assuming they do what they say, still looks promising, field trial soon. So fingers cross, SIMS upgrades will be breese - we'll be showing off how quick we now do upgrades

  6. #81

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    530
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    so they've recreated microsoft's deployment system because they couldn't make an msi?

  7. #82
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,310
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 141 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    SOLUS 3 phase 2 (will refer to as P2) is included as part of your normal license cost (shocking as it may seem that Capita isn't charging for it). P2 will be able to use AD to discover your machines. Once you've got a nice list of computers you can then deploy the agent out, which in turns installs SIMS (and FMS etc), sound like MSI over AD? Well once you've got the agent out you can report on basic info (CPU, RAM, HDD space), so you can print it off, go to SLT and go, hey I need x new machines because there rubbish and won't run SIMS well. Come upgrade day, the server pushs the update out to the client, because the agent is running as a service it doesn't use the users permissions, nor if they've tried to open SIMS or indeed logged on!
    Say you have 5 SLT fixed workstation, you could have it set to roll back should those 5 machines fail to upgrade successfully. It should be able to WOL as well, but we'll see. They are talking about using it more, so when they mess up a release rather then making us re-download the same release, minus the one file they had to change, we could just download that one file.

    That's all assuming they do what they say, still looks promising, field trial soon. So fingers cross, SIMS upgrades will be breese - we'll be showing off how quick we now do upgrades
    Thanks for the info. I think its still awful, why go to all that effort to create somthing which is still not what people in this thread seem to want, a simple MSI!

    Because again, it goes back to the orginal issue, i have just rebuilt a workstation, when will SIMS get installed? When will this Solous 3 V2 "agent" get installed? Straght away? After 2 days? When it feels like it? or am i going to have to manually install SIMS. Why do Capita "just not get it"

  8. #83

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Medway Towns
    Posts
    148
    Thank Post
    27
    Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    That's a real shame, my hopes for proper .MSI are dashed, hopefully RM will continue to provide a blue print so that we can deploy SIMS.net through the industry standard method we all know, love, and respect.

    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    so they've recreated microsoft's deployment system because they couldn't make an msi?
    Bizarre behaviour, having the option to use a globally recognised and supported deployment method and deciding to rewrite the whole thing from scratch ... talk about reinventing the wheel

    localzuk - I typed my comments at exactly the same time as you ... I guess it shows that great minds think alike
    Last edited by CyberDrac; 7th July 2010 at 08:18 AM.

  9. #84

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,652
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Most of that structure already exists via BITS, using MSI, MST and MSP files, using GPOs and other pre-existing tools. Why are they reinventing the wheel?

  10. #85
    Sarconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    315
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I think its still awful, why go to all that effort to create somthing which is still not what people in this thread seem to want, a simple MSI!
    I have to agree.

    Hopefully SOLUS 3 P2 will work well... as I know for a fact that P1 doesn't quite work as intended. There are still some issues with it not seeing all of the machines on the network and it sometimes fails to push out upgrades and installations. Still, it's in the testing phase so hopefully all of that will be ironed out once it does get released.

  11. #86

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    126
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Unfortunately this scenario seems all too farmiliar

    10 Ask user what they want
    20 Get wrong answer from user
    30 Promise them what they asked for but will take time
    40 Do something else

  12. #87

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,623
    Thank Post
    845
    Thanked 883 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by glensc View Post
    Unfortunately this scenario seems all too farmiliar

    10 Ask user what they want
    20 Get wrong answer from user
    30 Promise them what they asked for but will take time
    40 Do something else
    Amature programming hour! You forgot

    50 Goto 10


  13. #88

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,403
    Thank Post
    637
    Thanked 961 Times in 661 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    319
    I don't see why this is such a huge problem. Just run the EXEs silently. It's worked for us perfectly for the past five years.

  14. #89

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,386
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    so they've recreated microsoft's deployment system because they couldn't make an msi?
    MSI isn't flexiable enought. You can report who's installed it without messing about with it. SMS isn't free. SOLUS3 p1 basically is a "My network place" scan, P2 uses AD.

    I people would actually be happy that they are doing something positive. Not every school has SMS, not every school as a domain. SOLUS3 isn't costing the schools anything and will allow a single tool to pushing out SIMS to the desktops\servers across the school\LA.

    It's going to far better than if they create MSI's.

    (SOLUS3 agent is actually an MSI by the way, I believe they looked at creating MSI for all the apps, but it wasn't flexiable enought - couldn't cope with the multiple installs)

  15. #90


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,630
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 777 Times in 604 Posts
    Rep Power
    223
    @matt40k
    The problem is all that functionality they've added just replicates what I already have in a way that won't integrate with my existing reporting / deployment.

    Reporting and audit (GLPI/OCS) doesn't require SMS and many, many schools do have domains.

    They've made SIMS easier to deploy if you don't already have anything in place, but if you do it's just another tool that won't get used and isn't really I'd been hoping for.

    It drives me mad that every software company under the sun thinks it's a great idea to have their own auto-update app rather than tying into existing infrastructures*.

    (*yes, this is partially a Windows problem).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] Deployment of SIMs
    By jumpinjamez in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 17th April 2012, 07:35 PM
  2. [SIMS] SIMS - Training Datasets
    By kiran in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27th April 2011, 05:49 AM
  3. [SIMS] SIMS and online registration
    By alexknight in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 25th March 2011, 12:33 PM
  4. sims msi ??
    By klop in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26th February 2009, 04:25 PM
  5. [SIMS] sims ldf file nearly 17 gig
    By edie209 in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22nd November 2007, 10:30 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •