+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS & MSI in Technical; Originally Posted by Quackers Last post was well over a year ago, can anybody tell me if there is finally ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Last post was well over a year ago, can anybody tell me if there is finally a Group Policy deployable MSI available from Capita?
    No. There is no MSI as yet.

Thank Post
    You won't be worrying about deploying it via Group policy when SOLUS3 phase 2 comes out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You won't be worrying about deploying it via Group policy when SOLUS3 phase 2 comes out.
    Do tell us more!?

Thank Post
    How else will i want software to be installed when a PC is rebuilt? Is SIMS going to just run from a mapped drive? For the obscene amount of money Capita take for SIMS i find the fact they do not offer an MSI for deploying SIMS to workstations shocking.

Thank Post
    SOLUS 3 phase 2 (will refer to as P2) is included as part of your normal license cost (shocking as it may seem that Capita isn't charging for it). P2 will be able to use AD to discover your machines. Once you've got a nice list of computers you can then deploy the agent out, which in turns installs SIMS (and FMS etc), sound like MSI over AD? Well once you've got the agent out you can report on basic info (CPU, RAM, HDD space), so you can print it off, go to SLT and go, hey I need x new machines because there rubbish and won't run SIMS well. Come upgrade day, the server pushs the update out to the client, because the agent is running as a service it doesn't use the users permissions, nor if they've tried to open SIMS or indeed logged on!
    Say you have 5 SLT fixed workstation, you could have it set to roll back should those 5 machines fail to upgrade successfully. It should be able to WOL as well, but we'll see. They are talking about using it more, so when they mess up a release rather then making us re-download the same release, minus the one file they had to change, we could just download that one file.

That's all assuming they do what they say, still looks promising, field trial soon. So fingers cross, SIMS upgrades will be breese - we'll be showing off how quick we now do upgrades

Thank Post
    so they've recreated microsoft's deployment system because they couldn't make an msi?

Thank Post
    SOLUS 3 phase 2 (will refer to as P2) is included as part of your normal license cost (shocking as it may seem that Capita isn't charging for it). P2 will be able to use AD to discover your machines. Once you've got a nice list of computers you can then deploy the agent out, which in turns installs SIMS (and FMS etc), sound like MSI over AD? Well once you've got the agent out you can report on basic info (CPU, RAM, HDD space), so you can print it off, go to SLT and go, hey I need x new machines because there rubbish and won't run SIMS well. Come upgrade day, the server pushs the update out to the client, because the agent is running as a service it doesn't use the users permissions, nor if they've tried to open SIMS or indeed logged on!
    Say you have 5 SLT fixed workstation, you could have it set to roll back should those 5 machines fail to upgrade successfully. It should be able to WOL as well, but we'll see. They are talking about using it more, so when they mess up a release rather then making us re-download the same release, minus the one file they had to change, we could just download that one file.

That's all assuming they do what they say, still looks promising, field trial soon. So fingers cross, SIMS upgrades will be breese - we'll be showing off how quick we now do upgrades
    Thanks for the info. I think its still awful, why go to all that effort to create somthing which is still not what people in this thread seem to want, a simple MSI!

Because again, it goes back to the orginal issue, i have just rebuilt a workstation, when will SIMS get installed? When will this Solous 3 V2 "agent" get installed? Straght away? After 2 days? When it feels like it? or am i going to have to manually install SIMS. Why do Capita "just not get it"

Thank Post
    That's a real shame, my hopes for proper .MSI are dashed, hopefully RM will continue to provide a blue print so that we can deploy SIMS.net through the industry standard method we all know, love, and respect.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    so they've recreated microsoft's deployment system because they couldn't make an msi?
    Bizarre behaviour, having the option to use a globally recognised and supported deployment method and deciding to rewrite the whole thing from scratch ... talk about reinventing the wheel

localzuk - I typed my comments at exactly the same time as you ... I guess it shows that great minds think alike
    Last edited by CyberDrac; 7th July 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Most of that structure already exists via BITS, using MSI, MST and MSP files, using GPOs and other pre-existing tools. Why are they reinventing the wheel?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I think its still awful, why go to all that effort to create somthing which is still not what people in this thread seem to want, a simple MSI!
    I have to agree.

Hopefully SOLUS 3 P2 will work well... as I know for a fact that P1 doesn't quite work as intended. There are still some issues with it not seeing all of the machines on the network and it sometimes fails to push out upgrades and installations. Still, it's in the testing phase so hopefully all of that will be ironed out once it does get released.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately this scenario seems all too farmiliar

10 Ask user what they want
    20 Get wrong answer from user
    30 Promise them what they asked for but will take time
    40 Do something else

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glensc View Post
    Unfortunately this scenario seems all too farmiliar

10 Ask user what they want
    20 Get wrong answer from user
    30 Promise them what they asked for but will take time
    40 Do something else
    Amature programming hour! You forgot

50 Goto 10

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't see why this is such a huge problem. Just run the EXEs silently. It's worked for us perfectly for the past five years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    MSI isn't flexiable enought. You can report who's installed it without messing about with it. SMS isn't free. SOLUS3 p1 basically is a "My network place" scan, P2 uses AD.

I people would actually be happy that they are doing something positive. Not every school has SMS, not every school as a domain. SOLUS3 isn't costing the schools anything and will allow a single tool to pushing out SIMS to the desktops\servers across the school\LA.

It's going to far better than if they create MSI's.

(SOLUS3 agent is actually an MSI by the way, I believe they looked at creating MSI for all the apps, but it wasn't flexiable enought - couldn't cope with the multiple installs)

Thank Post
    @matt40k
    The problem is all that functionality they've added just replicates what I already have in a way that won't integrate with my existing reporting / deployment.

Reporting and audit (GLPI/OCS) doesn't require SMS and many, many schools do have domains.

They've made SIMS easier to deploy if you don't already have anything in place, but if you do it's just another tool that won't get used and isn't really I'd been hoping for.

It drives me mad that every software company under the sun thinks it's a great idea to have their own auto-update app rather than tying into existing infrastructures*.

(*yes, this is partially a Windows problem).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast