+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 151 to 163 of 163
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS & MSI in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk We use chrome here. How do you lock chrome down for the users? We would love ...
  1. #151
    reggiep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In the vast area of space and time
    Posts
    1,550
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 56 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We use chrome here.
    How do you lock chrome down for the users?

    We would love to move away from IE.

  2. #152

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,433
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 646 Times in 528 Posts
    Rep Power
    159
    If that 18kb files was MSI I think it would be bigger, after all MSI have an overhead, the idea of SOLUS3 is that Capita could release just a DLL or something similar and it could be quickly and easily deploy rather then having to wait for the next release.

    Sorry mate, 100mb x 100 laptops over WiFi, or even wired, at the start of the school day does not equal hardly anytime. Maybe in your school, but 22,000 others?

    Yes, I would have have 2 sets of backups, if SIMS is automatically updating something, I want it to auto a backup and if it failes, auto restore. I don't want any depenence on my backup solution. It's just going to cause more problems and put the system at risk. On other database applications, we still do a MSSQL backup prior to running a SQL backup script, even though we've just had a normal VM snapshot the night before. It's just common sense.

    If SIMS\FMS\SOLUS does a backup, it should be able to manage it.

  3. #153


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    How do you lock chrome down for the users?

    We would love to move away from IE.
    Policy Templates - The Chromium Projects

  4. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

    reggiep (4th October 2011)

  5. #154

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,872
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    If that 18kb files was MSI I think it would be bigger, after all MSI have an overhead, the idea of SOLUS3 is that Capita could release just a DLL or something similar and it could be quickly and easily deploy rather then having to wait for the next release.

    Sorry mate, 100mb x 100 laptops over WiFi, or even wired, at the start of the school day does not equal hardly anytime. Maybe in your school, but 22,000 others?

    Yes, I would have have 2 sets of backups, if SIMS is automatically updating something, I want it to auto a backup and if it failes, auto restore. I don't want any depenence on my backup solution. It's just going to cause more problems and put the system at risk. On other database applications, we still do a MSSQL backup prior to running a SQL backup script, even though we've just had a normal VM snapshot the night before. It's just common sense.

    If SIMS\FMS\SOLUS does a backup, it should be able to manage it.
    Ah, an MSP is for patching though, not an MSI. The overhead is much less for an MSP than an MSI.

    And 100Mb over a wireless network, spread across a school should be negligible. Anyway, the updates could be a lot more efficient with binary level patching (ie. like chrome) rather than just replacing files.

  6. #155

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    1,991
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 506 Times in 341 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    286
    I can't believe there is an arguement over this. Many of us want an MSI. A properly authored MSI, not a crummy wrapper.

    Many of us have chosen AD as the cornerstone of their IT system. For those that haven't, there's always SOLUS.

    We have a hundred schools in a highly structured AD. A hundred schools now, not in the future. Each group of machines belongs to a subset of security groups, which is used to filter software deployment. If I wanted to apply a particular program to say, the computers in maths suite B in school #49, no problem. Couple of clicks and it's job done.

    We have an extremely efficient way of organising computers, users, policies, a whole raft of features and settings, not least software deployment, in one industry standard system.

    An MSI for SIMS would be of great use to us.

  7. #156

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,433
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 646 Times in 528 Posts
    Rep Power
    159
    ~Bangs head on wall~

  8. #157

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,804
    Thank Post
    1,298
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    ~Bangs head on wall~
    If its any consolation, we are on the other side of the wall doing the same thing

  9. 3 Thanks to sparkeh:

    Arthur (5th October 2011), localzuk (5th October 2011), matt40k (5th October 2011)

  10. #158


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,647
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 865 Times in 743 Posts
    Rep Power
    297
    can we just agree to disagree so people who have complicated setups want a n other deployment method (presumably more compliucated or at least with more options that most of us just dont need)a lot of people with fairly minimal needs (so its used for say attendance on say 50 pcs in a school) would like an industry standard way of deploying it so ideally an msi where i could just effectively say this group of pcs get sims (if solus wants to control updates in the same way an av console does then fine it initial install that bugs most people id wager )

    i dont see the 2 as being mutually exclusive

  11. #159

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,433
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 646 Times in 528 Posts
    Rep Power
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    If its any consolation, we are on the other side of the wall doing the same thing
    Hopefully it'll be down by lunch so we can go up the pub.

    Sorry, I don't think I'll agree, deploy the S3Agent via AD, let S3 keep SIMS\FMS\Discover happy, just think of S3 as your GoogleUpdater for Chrome. I don't expect everyone to jump on board, it's going to take time to work out all the bugs, let the schools that do have problems with SIMS upgrades work through them and come over to the darkside when it's nicely polished. S3 does ALOT more the just updates clients and it's annoying people blindly saying SIMS should be an MSI. Sorry, the S3Agent is. S3 deploys SIMS\FMS\Discover. Therefore SIMS IS an MSI. MSI isn't perfect, otherwise why is there SMS\SCCM?

  12. #160

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    6,009
    Thank Post
    680
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Rep Power
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    If its any consolation, we are on the other side of the wall doing the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    can we just agree to disagree so people who have complicated setups want a n other deployment method (presumably more compliucated or at least with more options that most of us just dont need)a lot of people with fairly minimal needs (so its used for say attendance on say 50 pcs in a school) would like an industry standard way of deploying it so ideally an msi where i could just effectively say this group of pcs get sims (if solus wants to control updates in the same way an av console does then fine it initial install that bugs most people id wager )

    i dont see the 2 as being mutually exclusive
    You're just sitting on the wall now - no fair! If we agreed, we'd go back to fighting the common enemy.

  13. #161


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,647
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 865 Times in 743 Posts
    Rep Power
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Hopefully it'll be down by lunch so we can go up the pub.

    Sorry, I don't think I'll agree, deploy the S3Agent via AD, let S3 keep SIMS\FMS\Discover happy, just think of S3 as your GoogleUpdater for Chrome. I don't expect everyone to jump on board, it's going to take time to work out all the bugs, let the schools that do have problems with SIMS upgrades work through them and come over to the darkside when it's nicely polished. S3 does ALOT more the just updates clients and it's annoying people blindly saying SIMS should be an MSI. Sorry, the S3Agent is. S3 deploys SIMS\FMS\Discover. Therefore SIMS IS an MSI. MSI isn't perfect, otherwise why is there SMS\SCCM?
    if thats the case deploying a solus client via msi to a pc will allow sims to get instaled without me visiting a pc then i have no problemn with it that solves my issues. So effectively solus 3 is like wsus if it detects a program it can update/install it does so

  14. #162
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 490 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    We are still using SOLUS2 here along side CentraStage in our 270 odd schools. For the Summer upgrade, I think I only had to manually upgrade 3/4 FMS systems due to issues? I don;t think that's too bad personally!

    We are still trying SOLUS3 though in a couple of schools and so far have very little success with it. It's been OK in the rolling out Discover but temperamental when it comes to SIMS, as well as updating SOLUS3 itself. Our SOLUS3 setup consists of a main UI here to authorise upgrades to schools, and each site has/will have it's own UI to scheduled the upgrade. The manual work involved in rolling out SOLUS3 to schools (Installing the SOLUS3 DB and UI, rolling out the agents to all SIMS/FMS devices, configuring the settings, making sure firewall ports are opened etc) is going to be crazy compared with what happens currently for upgrades. Then, acutally authorising upgrades, scheduling them in the UI in each school, checking they install etc.... /faints!

    The poor success rate with it along side the workload involved in getting it out there just makes me cringe whenever SOLUS3 gets mentioned in the office! And the though of having to manage both SOLUS2 AND SOLUS3 when the rollout really kicks off is even more scary. We are having a training day with Capita in a couple for SOLUS3, so I hope this eases some of my concerns.

    Personally, I'd be most happy sticking with SOLUS2 and CentraStage. If it's not broke, why fix it?

    That's my 2cents anyhoo (and thinking about, totally unrelated to the original post of "SIMS & MSI"!)

  15. #163

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,433
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 646 Times in 528 Posts
    Rep Power
    159
    Can do, you either tell it what it's got and it install\updates it, or you let it figure it out (assuming it's installed). Personally, I like to tell it.

    From S3 UI, you see only S3 machines, you then add them to channel - SIMS, Discover, FMS etc and define what they are, server, workstation. You can either deploy S3 manually to workstation, via GPO or via the console. Once you've build the machine and you've installed the agent, you're pretty much done, you might have to add more bits to it, but it's just selecting options from a drop-down list. Updates can be automated and rolled back if they fail. Hopefully it'll be pretty much like Chrome where it just works in the next few releases.

    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    You're just sitting on the wall now - no fair! If we agreed, we'd go back to fighting the common enemy.
    Shhh.... they might find out my master plan.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] Deployment of SIMs
    By jumpinjamez in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 17th April 2012, 07:35 PM
  2. [SIMS] SIMS - Training Datasets
    By kiran in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27th April 2011, 05:49 AM
  3. [SIMS] SIMS and online registration
    By alexknight in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 25th March 2011, 12:33 PM
  4. sims msi ??
    By klop in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26th February 2009, 04:25 PM
  5. [SIMS] sims ldf file nearly 17 gig
    By edie209 in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22nd November 2007, 10:30 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •