+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS & MSI in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk We use chrome here. How do you lock chrome down for the users? We would love ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We use chrome here.
    How do you lock chrome down for the users?

We would love to move away from IE.

Thank Post
    If that 18kb files was MSI I think it would be bigger, after all MSI have an overhead, the idea of SOLUS3 is that Capita could release just a DLL or something similar and it could be quickly and easily deploy rather then having to wait for the next release.

Sorry mate, 100mb x 100 laptops over WiFi, or even wired, at the start of the school day does not equal hardly anytime. Maybe in your school, but 22,000 others?

Yes, I would have have 2 sets of backups, if SIMS is automatically updating something, I want it to auto a backup and if it failes, auto restore. I don't want any depenence on my backup solution. It's just going to cause more problems and put the system at risk. On other database applications, we still do a MSSQL backup prior to running a SQL backup script, even though we've just had a normal VM snapshot the night before. It's just common sense.

If SIMS\FMS\SOLUS does a backup, it should be able to manage it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    How do you lock chrome down for the users?

We would love to move away from IE.
    Policy Templates - The Chromium Projects

4. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

reggiep (4th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    If that 18kb files was MSI I think it would be bigger, after all MSI have an overhead, the idea of SOLUS3 is that Capita could release just a DLL or something similar and it could be quickly and easily deploy rather then having to wait for the next release.

Sorry mate, 100mb x 100 laptops over WiFi, or even wired, at the start of the school day does not equal hardly anytime. Maybe in your school, but 22,000 others?

Yes, I would have have 2 sets of backups, if SIMS is automatically updating something, I want it to auto a backup and if it failes, auto restore. I don't want any depenence on my backup solution. It's just going to cause more problems and put the system at risk. On other database applications, we still do a MSSQL backup prior to running a SQL backup script, even though we've just had a normal VM snapshot the night before. It's just common sense.

If SIMS\FMS\SOLUS does a backup, it should be able to manage it.
    Ah, an MSP is for patching though, not an MSI. The overhead is much less for an MSP than an MSI.

And 100Mb over a wireless network, spread across a school should be negligible. Anyway, the updates could be a lot more efficient with binary level patching (ie. like chrome) rather than just replacing files.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe there is an arguement over this. Many of us want an MSI. A properly authored MSI, not a crummy wrapper.

Many of us have chosen AD as the cornerstone of their IT system. For those that haven't, there's always SOLUS.

We have a hundred schools in a highly structured AD. A hundred schools now, not in the future. Each group of machines belongs to a subset of security groups, which is used to filter software deployment. If I wanted to apply a particular program to say, the computers in maths suite B in school #49, no problem. Couple of clicks and it's job done.

We have an extremely efficient way of organising computers, users, policies, a whole raft of features and settings, not least software deployment, in one industry standard system.

An MSI for SIMS would be of great use to us.

Thank Post
    ~Bangs head on wall~

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ~Bangs head on wall~
    If its any consolation, we are on the other side of the wall doing the same thing

9. 3 Thanks to sparkeh:

Arthur (5th October 2011), localzuk (5th October 2011), matt40k (5th October 2011)

Thank Post
    can we just agree to disagree so people who have complicated setups want a n other deployment method (presumably more compliucated or at least with more options that most of us just dont need)a lot of people with fairly minimal needs (so its used for say attendance on say 50 pcs in a school) would like an industry standard way of deploying it so ideally an msi where i could just effectively say this group of pcs get sims (if solus wants to control updates in the same way an av console does then fine it initial install that bugs most people id wager )

i dont see the 2 as being mutually exclusive

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    If its any consolation, we are on the other side of the wall doing the same thing
    Hopefully it'll be down by lunch so we can go up the pub.

Sorry, I don't think I'll agree, deploy the S3Agent via AD, let S3 keep SIMS\FMS\Discover happy, just think of S3 as your GoogleUpdater for Chrome. I don't expect everyone to jump on board, it's going to take time to work out all the bugs, let the schools that do have problems with SIMS upgrades work through them and come over to the darkside when it's nicely polished. S3 does ALOT more the just updates clients and it's annoying people blindly saying SIMS should be an MSI. Sorry, the S3Agent is. S3 deploys SIMS\FMS\Discover. Therefore SIMS IS an MSI. MSI isn't perfect, otherwise why is there SMS\SCCM?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    can we just agree to disagree so people who have complicated setups want a n other deployment method (presumably more compliucated or at least with more options that most of us just dont need)a lot of people with fairly minimal needs (so its used for say attendance on say 50 pcs in a school) would like an industry standard way of deploying it so ideally an msi where i could just effectively say this group of pcs get sims (if solus wants to control updates in the same way an av console does then fine it initial install that bugs most people id wager )

i dont see the 2 as being mutually exclusive
    You're just sitting on the wall now - no fair! If we agreed, we'd go back to fighting the common enemy.

Thank Post
    Hopefully it'll be down by lunch so we can go up the pub.

Sorry, I don't think I'll agree, deploy the S3Agent via AD, let S3 keep SIMS\FMS\Discover happy, just think of S3 as your GoogleUpdater for Chrome. I don't expect everyone to jump on board, it's going to take time to work out all the bugs, let the schools that do have problems with SIMS upgrades work through them and come over to the darkside when it's nicely polished. S3 does ALOT more the just updates clients and it's annoying people blindly saying SIMS should be an MSI. Sorry, the S3Agent is. S3 deploys SIMS\FMS\Discover. Therefore SIMS IS an MSI. MSI isn't perfect, otherwise why is there SMS\SCCM?
    if thats the case deploying a solus client via msi to a pc will allow sims to get instaled without me visiting a pc then i have no problemn with it that solves my issues. So effectively solus 3 is like wsus if it detects a program it can update/install it does so

Thank Post
    We are still using SOLUS2 here along side CentraStage in our 270 odd schools. For the Summer upgrade, I think I only had to manually upgrade 3/4 FMS systems due to issues? I don;t think that's too bad personally!

We are still trying SOLUS3 though in a couple of schools and so far have very little success with it. It's been OK in the rolling out Discover but temperamental when it comes to SIMS, as well as updating SOLUS3 itself. Our SOLUS3 setup consists of a main UI here to authorise upgrades to schools, and each site has/will have it's own UI to scheduled the upgrade. The manual work involved in rolling out SOLUS3 to schools (Installing the SOLUS3 DB and UI, rolling out the agents to all SIMS/FMS devices, configuring the settings, making sure firewall ports are opened etc) is going to be crazy compared with what happens currently for upgrades. Then, acutally authorising upgrades, scheduling them in the UI in each school, checking they install etc.... /faints!

The poor success rate with it along side the workload involved in getting it out there just makes me cringe whenever SOLUS3 gets mentioned in the office! And the though of having to manage both SOLUS2 AND SOLUS3 when the rollout really kicks off is even more scary. We are having a training day with Capita in a couple for SOLUS3, so I hope this eases some of my concerns.

Personally, I'd be most happy sticking with SOLUS2 and CentraStage. If it's not broke, why fix it?

That's my 2cents anyhoo (and thinking about, totally unrelated to the original post of "SIMS & MSI"!)

Thank Post
    Can do, you either tell it what it's got and it install\updates it, or you let it figure it out (assuming it's installed). Personally, I like to tell it.

From S3 UI, you see only S3 machines, you then add them to channel - SIMS, Discover, FMS etc and define what they are, server, workstation. You can either deploy S3 manually to workstation, via GPO or via the console. Once you've build the machine and you've installed the agent, you're pretty much done, you might have to add more bits to it, but it's just selecting options from a drop-down list. Updates can be automated and rolled back if they fail. Hopefully it'll be pretty much like Chrome where it just works in the next few releases.

Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    You're just sitting on the wall now - no fair! If we agreed, we'd go back to fighting the common enemy.
    Shhh.... they might find out my master plan.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011