+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Registration tutor sees all teachers' marksheets? in Technical; We are (relatively happily) one week into the new school year using SIMS for the first time. As we approach ...

Thank Post

Registration tutor sees all teachers' marksheets?

We are (relatively happily) one week into the new school year using SIMS for the first time. As we approach a reporting session for one year group, a registration tutor has notcied that she can see the marksheets for all teachers of her class rather than just the marksheets for her own classes.

The comprehensive nature of SIMS leaves some staff wary (perhaps unnecessarily so) of colleagues "seeing" their assessment data. Permissions are set to allow reg tutors to view only their own marksheet data. I would expect that this would prevent the above happening. Am I missing something? (or, more accurately, what am I missing?) I would like to address this before reporting sessions for other year groups...

Thank Post
    Are they in the assessment coordinator group? Are they a head of dept?

Thank Post
    No, they are in class teacher, attendance operator and reg tutor groups.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Attendance Operator can also see all marksheets. So unless you clone it and strip out permissions it won't do what you want.
    The default permission is to only see your own marksheet data, so it doesn't need to be set.
    Though as Matt said, some users, can see more, another one for instance is Head of Year. As well as anyone made a supervisor on the pastoral structure.

EDIT:
    The purpose of attendance operator is not for people to put in marks, but for someone to assist the assessment co-ordinator, with the full rights to go and delete templates and make drastic changes. So they can see and edit data in all marksheets.
    Your class teachers / tutors don't need any extra permissions.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 3rd September 2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: addition.

Thank Post
    Thank you vikpaw

This is beginning to become clearer. Allow me to provide some more context - our "registration tutors" act as most schools would expect from heads of year. They register the entire year group and there is no "individual" tutor group or the more common interpretation of reg tutor (to 20 -30 students).

Due to their role, they are also identified as heads of yr on the pastoral structure, although there is (almost) no-one else with a "pastoral" remit. I am beginning to suspect that their double role of reg tutor and Head of Yr is causing our difficulty. Presumably reg tutor is sufficient to register (c. 200) students.

My original comment referred to the widespread wariness about sharing data (which I don't really understand in a school but...)

Thank Post
    If you only have 1 large reg group, then in the pastoral structure , it should be sufficient to put them all into one reg group and assign the reg tutor to that, to prevent them having head of year status.
    Though if that is their role, i'd imagine they want that level of overview of 'their' students.
    It must be hard not to have reg group like sub groups for sorting and organising things.
    Anyhoo, try taking that person out of the head of year role and it should remove the access.

7. Thanks to vikpaw from:

ProjectO (4th September 2012)

Thank Post

Smile

Thanks vikpaw

I have removed the relevant people as Heads of Yr. Issue resolved without unwanted side effects as far as I can tell.

And yes, the structures here are a little unusual in places but they do appear to work. I am hoping to have SIMS replicate the functionality of the legacy system initially and then slowly and carefully release additional functionality.

As mentioned earlier, there is great sensitivity about sharing student data at the moment but I hope to calm this to allow the staff to utilise SIMS and "open up" to the level I've experienced in every other school I've dealt with.

Thank Post
    Well, don't tell anyone, but SIMS is built to share student data with staff. There are not huge measures in place to restrict access, as they in theory could be teaching any student. Though you may not have an easy view or access to a module to edit data, most staff will be able to view data to do with a child, just not edit it.

Obviously, normal security is in place, i.e. staff details, private info like personal numbers etc.

This can be a problem in schools where they are multiple tiers, as staff in primary school can see all info about kids in upper school, especially their own!

So, you don't give them access to the marksheet view, but they can still individually by student look at the assessment pane in pupil-teacher view and see all results for that child, past and present, as soon as the main teacher saves them. Grades and Comments. It's a bit misleading to think that the data is not being shared, it's really not being displayed as prominently as it was.

At any rate, the set up you now have is more like it is now in other schools with the smaller groups. The reg tutor can't see other class marksheets.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread