+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Grade Sets - Mega Problem in Technical; I have inherited a nightmare of a database which, if there is no solution, is going to take months to ...

Thank Post

Grade Sets - Mega Problem

I have inherited a nightmare of a database which, if there is no solution, is going to take months to sort out. The problem is compounded by other issues which I will lay out here:

Firstly: Last year we became a new school. Unfortunately we could not get our database up and running early so historic Aspects/Templates together with the attached Grade Sets were imported from the old school database into the new. The Head at the time was happy with what we had so it caused us no major issues.

From September this year we will have a new Head, with new ideas all of which she would like implemented by the end of the month. The biggest headache we have in all the subject grade sets are not 'our own' but are our old schools and it the grade set for each and every subject she would like us to add to. I know how do this the long winded way by making new gradesets/aspects adding them to our templates and transferring the results over but with 50+ subjects and hundreds of tmeplates this is going to take a while. Does anyone know if there anyway that this could be sorted painlessly?

Before anyone answers the compounding problem is that any grade sets/aspects, well anything really, we make are never our own but are always marked CES Installation. However once we have made them and they are marked incorrectly we can still change them.

I have brought this up 3 time with different members of Capita and they all say 'that's strange' but never do anything about it!

A little bit about me. I am pretty good with what I know, when it comes to computers, but if it is too technical I would probably need it spelt out.

Thanks for reading and if you can help doubly thank you.

Tan

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Firstly, don't worry about them being marked as CES Installation. Mine are all like that, and i've never had a problem with them. It's probably just a default somewhere.
    Are you part of an LA, independent or something different?

If you're changing the system it's always nice to start from scratch, and it is a pain, but also much more satisfying to know you made it and it works how you want. It is a long process, though creation of marksheets, is now a little easier.

You can add extra rows to existing grade sets and create a new version of them too, if that helps you. It's messy, but useful for an interim solution.

Thank Post
    You can also reorder the items in the gradeset and give a low value to ones you don't want so pushing them down the list.
    What i don't think you can do is to remove rows, until results exist which are linked. I thought that's what versions would allow you to do but i'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Thank Post

GradeSet Amendment help.

Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Firstly, don't worry about them being marked as CES Installation. Mine are all like that, and i've never had a problem with them. It's probably just a default somewhere.
    Are you part of an LA, independent or something different?

If you're changing the system it's always nice to start from scratch, and it is a pain, but also much more satisfying to know you made it and it works how you want. It is a long process, though creation of marksheets, is now a little easier.

You can add extra rows to existing grade sets and create a new version of them too, if that helps you. It's messy, but useful for an interim solution.

Thanks for your reply. I have always added new grades/values to gradesets which are 'ours' with no problem. However as the gradeset that I need to change was imported from the old school (i.e. the High School) to our new school (i.e. the new Academy) therefore all the options to add are 'greyed out'. Someone did mention that it was possible to export the old grade set, amend some of the codes in notepad, save and then reimport, but I would not know what to change, or whether we should even change the values in this way and whether it would mess up Sims. I don't intend to delete any values, just add to them.

If creating a new version would do this could you tell me how to do this as I have never done anything like this in the past.

Thanks.

Tan

Thank Post
    Ah, i see now.
    If you can't edit them, you won't be able to version either.
    Exporting and editing them manually could work. I have a number of gradesets on my system, the ones that can't be edited are CES Discover/Exams/Assessment Services as supplier. Mine are all 111 1111 CES Installation.
    When you imported yours, they came in with that supplier ID but as imported stuff can't be changed, it's greying out the options.

You can't export the gradeset, but you can export the aspect and it takes the gradeset with it. You could open it in notepad, or better text editor and see the pattern used for the gradeset. So long as you only add extra values, it should be fine, but it's a bit risky as you'll be importing an aspect, along with gradeset, so results could be unpredictable. It would be really hand if you had a test server you could try it on.

An alternative which should work, based on the error message i got , is to just create a new gradeset, which has all the values of the old and the new ones you want. Basically, take the old one and hit clone. All the functions will then be available to you for editing. Just add the new values, and leave the old ones. You should be able to alter the value to 0 of any grade you don't want used and move it to the bottom out of the way.

Then go through each aspect and use the magnifying glass in section 2 to change the gradeset. When i tried with a random one, it forbid it as it would invalidate certain results, it worked with a clone which was a superset of the first gradeset.

This should be relatively quick for you, and won't involve making new aspects nor transferring results.

I would still try this out of hours, after a backup, just in case. But should sort the issue.

6. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Tan321 (6th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Ooh this sounds possible, going to try it now. Thanks, will let you know.

Thank Post
    Well it was a possibility but although I cloned the gradeset, added what I needed the aspect I wanted to change the new cloned gradeset to, still kept the magnifying glass 'greyed out' so I couldn't pick up any other gradeset. Thank you for your ideas. At least I have learned about the new version, which I had no idea about before. Oh well, I know what me job is tomorrow ... and the next day ... and the next!!

Thank Post
    Dang! I think the lesson here is never used imported stuff, always clone to your own version.
    I had a similar problem with the system i inherited, half the aspects were made with a gradeset (1,2,3,4,5), others were made as integer type. Only found out when i tried to create analysis columns! I ended up making the new aspect / gradeset combo and then on a whole school marksheet copying the results over.
    Painful.

If you are having to start over, make a massive global marksheet with loads of aspects, old next to new. Copy the data over, then clone that marksheet to make individual subject based ones. It's way easier to delete columns than to add them.
    Then you can use a bulk resultset change to do this for other resultsets.

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Tan321 (10th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your help. I definitely think a global marksheet would be the best idea, I hadn't thought of this. I can't wait to get it sorted and then delete all the rubbish and finally have a clean database... sadly I think that day is quite a way off!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread