+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS AD intergration - Put a password in a second time? in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k Admittly your Team HTML5 and @ PhilNeal is in Team App and your trying to sell ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Admittly your Team HTML5 and @PhilNeal is in Team App and your trying to sell the extra login as a security feature. Just incase anyone hasn't noticed
    I am Team HTML5 (I'm getting a tshirt with that on!). I don't believe I'm selling it as a feature, more I'm clearing up a mistaken concept and pointing out the negatives of it that has long been held as a way forward... it is, but it is not without some huge drawbacks.

Thank Post
    Basically you idea is, if you device is not trusted, auto logout and reauthenticate. But if you trust your device, ie a desktop, you can give a little and let it auto sign in?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Basically you idea is, if you device is not trusted, auto logout and reauthenticate. But if you trust your device, ie a desktop, you can give a little and let it auto sign in?
    No, all devices whether trusted or not require sign-in, it's just the same credentials you have to provide. This idea i like, but could be a pain, if say, you use your intranet / VLE to springboard into 5/6/7 different other systems / apps. I wouldn't want the hassle of signing in to each different site and then it times me out so i have to do it again, through the day. I suppose you could trust one portal app to have Single Sign-On to other linked sites, but the portal itself is SAme Sign On with the desktop.

Not sure what the plan with apps would be, it's a pain to have to login all the time. Saying that, i only have a few apps that actually require login, or that i've set to require login. Emerge asks for a pin for every access if it's been minimised, and a password for a longer timeout. It's a bit of a pain, but not that bad actually. The only pain is that it's not the same credentials as AD. This was asked about on an Emerge thread, but apparently it's not easy to implement.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm involved in several projects right now to look at SaSO vs SSO and the impact it has in different users. For instance, a possibility is that pupils have an extended SSO facility to ge into learning platforms, a reasonable argument, and the data held in here and most (not all) associated pupil used apps contain less confidential info... Compared to staff who access she'd loads of confidential info, perhaps in school and LA systems. Much less SSO and more SaSO for staff due to the nature of the informaion. Talking convenience only (not practicality): going back to the banking idea, would you be happy having SSO into all your online accounts, or rather SaSO (forgetting for the moment you should have different passwords for this really, but we are just looking at convenience!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    No, all devices whether trusted or not require sign-in,
    More saying about the app vs html5 idea. ie it's users use the current login - ie no prompt, or the html5 prompt you again (for the same password).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123