+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Web version in Technical; I don't think you will find many browser applications offering the type of flexibility that is possible in a client ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: SIMS Web version

I don't think you will find many browser applications offering the type of flexibility that is possible in a client application yet
    Outlook Web Access?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi Phil, thanks very much for your comments.

Apologies for the tone of this thread, where undeserved. You can appreciate, by your statement, the intense frustration felt at being told that that was Capita's official line. It's such a relief to hear you dismiss it.

Personally It still doesn't wash with me that webparts aren't totally appropriate for school MIS Systems. Full blown web based apps along the lines of google apps are not at all needed, and I think it's a red herring to throw that into the equation. None of your competitors are doing it that way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Apologies for the tone of this thread, where undeserved.
    Well I don't think that anyone has crossed the line into personally abusive comments have the?. Criticism of the product should be allowed and its clear SIMS arouses some passions

None of your competitors are doing it that way.
    If everybody followed this there would be no innovation in the world.

I think MIS systems would be excellent candidates for being web based apps.

Thank Post

Mark, thanks for the feedback. There is clear blue water between our approach and that of Pearson and RM however ePortal needs client software too.

Thank Post

I personally believe SIMS works well at the moment - and much prefer using the fat client SIMS.net to a web part version on a daily basis. It is far easier for admininistrative staff but the possibility of having a web based access is good when your out and about. The new GUI for Sims.net is fantastic and improving all the time.

OWA is very good but falls short of the whole Outlook app in certain bits!

I'm just passoniate about ensuring that teaching and learning is fully supported and by using SIMS.net I think it is supported.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiran
    I'm just passoniate about ensuring that teaching and learning is fully supported and by using SIMS.net I think it is supported.
    Not fully. A freely-available developer API wouldn't go a-miss to assist third-party apps or bespoke apps accessing school data. In my opinion Capita would have done this ages ago if their passion really is "supporting educationalists achieve their aims."

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    I don't think you will find many browser applications offering the type of flexibility that is possible in a client application yet
    Outlook Web Access?
    So you've bought the line that OWA is the same as Outlook 2003?

Anway, I'd never thought I'd see the day when you'd use a Microsoft product as an examplar to prove a point

Thank Post

I would echo kirans words, we like the dot net client too and its getting better all the time.

Given SIMSs market share you 'd always expect a difference of opinion from its users on how they would prefer it to look and work.

TBH I doubt we will see a full web interface anytime soon - if ever - given the amount of time and money that has been spent developing the current architecture Capita arn't going to switch over to a web interface. Unless everyone fancies doubling their subscriptions to fund the it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As Capita are demonstrating they do see the relevance of producing web parts of applications that warrant it. From earlier in this thread..

"We released Web Parts two years ago. The next generation is due out in
    September 2007."

Pay attention at the back!

Reporting for teachers would be so good if it could be done from home by logging into a secured server at school. Similarly the reduced hardware and support requirements of web based lesson registration would be hugely beneficial.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you consider the differences between different players in the MIS scene ...

They do take different approaches to what is needed. I can only really speak from experience from CMIS and SIMS, but CMIS is more browser based for basic, common requests from staff (student details, inputting attendance by lesson, filling in form or comment based reports) but SIMS is more client orientated as it favours being used more for bespoke requests ...

CMIS (via ePortal) is more teacher friendly ... SIMS.net is more admin staff friendly.

I am looking forward to a chance to get to grips with the new web parts in September (actually likely to be October within our LP roll out!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    CMIS (via ePortal) is more teacher friendly ... SIMS.net is more admin staff friendly.
    Totally agree with that Tony. SIMS is Admin friendly, certainly not Teacher friendly. Those are SIMS' roots after all.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Totally agree with that Tony. SIMS is Admin friendly, certainly not Teacher friendly. Those are SIMS' roots after all.
    I am going to have to disagree with this point. Some parts of SIMS such as all the 6.x modules are not friendly at all however the 7.x version is far better and evolving all the time. Its not difficult for most teachers to double click on the time line to enter registration marks, assessment data and Profiles through the Focus menu!!

CMIS to me seems a bit cluttered, with everything squashed in one place... but thats just an observation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I scare teachers with CMIS main screen, they say why don't I use the eportal, its because I can actually work a database! I think its the fact that I have all the modules so on a 17" screen i get 2 rows of menubar instead of just 1.

Thank Post

I please teachers showing them what the reporting engine within CMIS Facility can produce. Not really sure what that has got to do with web version of SIMS though?

Like i said in an earlier post staff love using a single web interface to enter and retrieve the information. Is that not the point of this thread ? Our front office use the eportal web interface to look student up information as well.

Facility versus SIMS.net is another thread. And one that I could write at length on, I would be standing in the Facility corner of that debate as well. Having used both sets of programs for a reasonable amount of time.

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post

"Reporting for teachers would be so good if it could be done from home by logging into a secured server at school. Similarly the reduced hardware and support requirements of web based lesson registration would be hugely beneficial"

Mark; you are right and we have done it.

Jenny
    PARS Training Officer
    TASC Software - Premier SIMS Partner

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast