+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Examination Organiser Module error in Technical; Unless it's changed since I last used it (2 years ago!) then its usually just a case of deleting the ...

Thank Post
    Unless it's changed since I last used it (2 years ago!) then its usually just a case of deleting the SIMS.net folder
    Then rerunning the SIMS installer - as an administrator! (SIMSINST?)

2. Thanks to Gatt from:

swiftysw1 (15th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 839 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ours seems OK - forgot to run simsperm.bat (or my modified version for win7) on the two exam peoples machines today so they had a paddy when SIMS tried to install "Summer Update Take 4 (We Will Get It Right One Day)". Did a global GPO for the permissions instead and all seems well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftysw1 View Post
    @Ashm How do u reinstall? What process?
    Log into the computer as an admin user and then run SIMSAplicationSetup.exe (usually located in S:\SIMS\Setups) normally fixes the issue. As Gatt says you could run the SIMSINST installer to reinstall everything.

We're using SOLUS 2 by the way, I'm not sure if this process would work if you're using SOLUS 3.

Thank Post
    I had the same problem.
    Fix for me was,

1) Uninstall Sims Disover.
    2) Uninstall Sims.net by deleteing the contents in Program Files
    3) Restart
    4) Install Sims.Net logged in as domain admin
    5) Test Exams Module ( Was working now )
    6) Install Sims Discover.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 839 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashm View Post
    Log into the computer as an admin user and then run SIMSAplicationSetup.exe (usually located in S:\SIMS\Setups) normally fixes the issue. As Gatt says you could run the SIMSINST installer to reinstall everything.

We're using SOLUS 2 by the way, I'm not sure if this process would work if you're using SOLUS 3.
    For note it wouldn't as it doesn't use those same programs from the SETUPS directory. Bit of a pain as there's no longer a handy workaround for those odd few machines that just wouldn't install/update otherwise

Thank Post
    @swiftysw1 have you tried switching it off and back on again.
    Sorry Si it had to be said!

Thank Post
    @Achandler - did you get a call back? If not please drop me a note and I will investigate. I note your comments "the usual standard..." It would be helpful to have other examples so that I can investigate those too.
    Thanks
    Phil Neal, Managing Director, Capita SIMS

Thank Post
    Nope no callback.

Luckily I found I could print reports if logged in as a domain admin on the server... so I have everything we need for tomorrow.

I don't mean to be rude but I find almost all problems that I report that aren't an instant fix result in waiting a while for a call back (I have waited for 2 weeks once and had even forgot I had phoned up! That was something to do with a document store), and usually in that time you have found your own work around. I'll just wait to see if they phone back tomorrow, not that is of any use because I don't want to print out copies of the pupils results tomorrow, and you can't delay results day.

On a good note the phone was answered suprisingly quickly, I assume Capita have employed more staff to deal with download day problems, so that was good and probably would have been good for simple issues.

I don't want to bad mouth Capita support anyway it is just disapointing when on a crucial day the support isn't there, it should also be noted that as of the end of August we will be moving away from SIMS so then I can moan about our new MIS provider not calling back when it is crucial instead

Thank Post
    @Achandler thanks for letting me know. I'll still look into this as although we've had a few difficulties with our case management system I was under the impression that things were under control.

Thank Post
    This morning I have received a note in my pigeon hole. Capita tried to contact me and left a message at 10.15am, so it appears that they did try to look into my case. They just ignored the fact I gave them my mobile number after I explicitly told them the switchboard was turned off and it would be the only way to contact me...

Thank Post
    I see - thanks for confirming. I'll speak to the supervisor as this would be fairly normal in school holidays.

Thank Post
    2 pence worth

after moving away from sims a few years ago to serco i have now come to see sims in a different life yes it has its problems but now they seem to be getting things better. yes we moved back best thing we did

My last call was answered quickly and i got a call back within the hour.

solus 3 is great when it works but msi is the way to go come on what wake things complicated.

14. Thanks to round2it from:

PhilNeal (16th August 2012)

Thank Post
    S3, you just remove the folder, then redeploy the release to that one machine, pretty sure you don't even need to remove the folder.

Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    solus 3 is great when it works but msi is the way to go
    I have enough trouble with the s3 msi thank you. I don't need anymore. Admittely it could because I get all the problems that normally involve the machine being switched off midway though and the rollback not working for whatever reason, or some other msi like AV is consently trying to install and failing so no other msi can install.

I like the fact the wise installer just does it and doesn't over complicate things - it's basically it's a pretty xcopy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12