[Fix] How to upgrade to Final Cut Pro X 10.0.1 from 10.0.0
If like me you found that the Mac App Store thinks you dont have Final Cut Pro X installed which breaks the ability to do an upgrade here and you find that under "Purchased" the button for Final Cut Pro X is "install" which when clicked gives the rather useless error:
Software Updates naturally doesnt have any updates as FCPX is updated via the App Store (excluding extras) but there is a fix and its pretty simple.
We could not complete your purchase. Final Cut is already installed on this computer. Choose Software Update from the Apple Menu to check for software updates
I did not have any updates such as extras listed in Software Updates yet so I am not sure if they are integrated or awaiting updates.
- Open Applications folder in Finder
- Drag Final Cut Pro X application to the trash which will prompt for authentication, you dont need to empty the trash yet. NOTE: You shouldnt lose any projects as they are usually stored elsewhere.
- Try hitting the "Install" button in the App Store now which should trigger an install.
- When installed try running Final Cut Pro X which will ask you to upgrade previous projects
- Confirm 10.0.1 is running and then empty the trash removing the old version :)
That should solve the problem, or well it has for me at least. I just hope the App store fixes the annoying bug.
Interestingly Motion did not have this problem.