I have 10 macbooks running os x 10.6. They are all self assigning IP addresses when trying to connect to an apple airport extreme base station.
The airport light is green and connecting via an ehternet cable with one of the macbooks works fine. I have a 3com AP that the macbooks connect to fine.
Also I have 10 older macbooks that were running os x 10.5.4. They were connecting fine to the airport and network accounts were logging in. I have updated them to 10.5.8 and now they are self assign IP address on the logon window, meaning i can't login using any network accounts. If I log on with a local account the wireless connects fine.
Both sets of machines are OD and AD joined. I have 'allow all incoming connections' ticked in Security/Firewall settings pane
Can any one provide any insight into this?
I had a similar issue with Dell laptops recently. I removed all of the Intel ProSet software [except for the drivers] so that Windows manages the connection, took the laptops off the and joined them to the domain again and now they are working perfectly.
I know that my problem was with non-MAC machines but I am posting this here incase it gives you a handle on your issue.
From the information you've provided it's possible you've misconfigured the Base Station? Is it working in Bridge Mode? Are you uplinking it via ethernet to the main network? Which network port have you connected the ethernet cable to? Look at the icons beside the ethernet ports at the rear of the Base Station. They will tell you whether it's a WAN or LAN port. You don't want ethernet connected to the WAN port. Although this does depend on what you want to achieve?
Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
If the AEBS is configured correctly, then maybe update to the latest version of OS. I know that there was a security update released after the 10.5.8 release. There was talk of a few issues with the airport cards/connections in 10.5.x. Not sure what version now.
Also check to see if the network has been added to the remembered list of networks. You could try removing it from the list and then rea-dding it. I have seen before where the network seems to be forgotten and then needs to be re-added.
You could also perhaps delete the encryption key from the keychain. The connection should then ask you to enter the key when connecting to the network again. Most of what I said will need to be done as the local admin.
Thank you for your replies.
Later on the same day all the wireless points on site slowly joined the basestation and started to act up. Restarting our DCHP service resolved the problem.