+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mountain Lion server - Profile manager or WGM in Technical; I've been playing around with Mountain Lion server, and was very glad that Apple continued to offer Workgroup manager as ...
    Thank Post

Mountain Lion server - Profile manager or WGM

I've been playing around with Mountain Lion server, and was very glad that Apple continued to offer Workgroup manager as a method for policy management. I was surprised when there was talk that this might disappear as it makes sense to keep it for those that prefer it. Especially when considering Apple haven't developed workgroup manager much since 10.5 and yet it still was doing a great job of management. Ultimately there was not much that has needed to change in WGM and with the option to add your own .plist files you can pretty much manage anything you want.

I have looked at the new features of Profile manager in Mountain Lion and I must say it seems an improvement, though of course I have only put it in a test environment so far and so only time will tell how good it will be in a functioning environment. I like the fact that you can manage all the OSX settings just as easy as you can in WGM, you can add any custom plists too which is important. The only thing I have not tried yet is Folder Redirection, but I'm sure there will be a way to include this.

So then comes a decision, continue to use WGM that has always been reliable and fast in the past or start to use Profile Manager? Its clear that Apple wants users to move to profile manager and now that it can do all the things that WGM can do and also manage iOS and other new features it probably makes sense to move to it. I suppose the issues I still have with profile manager is that it seems slower to use and navigate (in comparison to WGM), and custom plist management looks quite messy if you have a lot of them. There is also sometimes an issue of getting profile manager to work correctly due to firewall and proxy settings in place. I know some schools have little control of these settings and can't easily open ports.

I will be putting it in its first working environment in a few weeks time so I will be sure to give an update soon. What are others thoughts on Mountain Lion server? And will you be continuing with WGM or moving to Profile Manager?
    Last edited by JR-PCS; 31st July 2012 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    THANKS GOD!!!!! though would have been nice to see Server Admin still but they want to kill Apple Servers :-(
    Apple’s Profile Manager And The Future Of Mac Management [Feature] | Cult of Mac
    Last edited by Carter; 31st July 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Been doing some more testing today and this is what I have found:

- Unreliable at removing policies I had previously applied to a Mac client and was then attempting to remove.
    - There doesn't seem to be a built in section to do finder preferences in profile manager like there is in WGM.
    - Profile manager generally seem more hassle and time consuming to use than WGM (but I suppose I have been using WGM for a decade now).

I think I will only be using profile manager for iOS management and continue to use WGM for Mac management as ultimately it works flawlessly and I can do everything I want to do with it very easily. If in the future Apple forces me to use profile manager I will have to put up with it, and just hope that it finally becomes an actual usable improvement on WGM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JR-PCS View Post

- Unreliable at removing policies I had previously applied to a Mac client and was then attempting to remove.
    - There doesn't seem to be a built in section to do finder preferences in profile manager like there is in WGM.
    - Profile manager generally seem more hassle and time consuming to use than WGM (but I suppose I have been using WGM for a decade now).

I think I will only be using profile manager for iOS management and continue to use WGM for Mac management as ultimately it works flawlessly and I can do everything I want to do with it very easily. If in the future Apple forces me to use profile manager I will have to put up with it, and just hope that it finally becomes an actual usable improvement on WGM.
    I would have to agree profile manager is not quite ready for mac clients but still works good for IOS management. Shame its not picked up to much from the MDM competition out there.

I am sticking with WGM for now until a few more updates come to mountain lion. I am not completely writing of profile manager!

Ross

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JR-PCS View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rozzer View Post
    I would have to agree profile manager is not quite ready for mac clients but still works good for IOS management. Shame its not picked up to much from the MDM competition out there.

I am sticking with WGM for now until a few more updates come to mountain lion. I am not completely writing of profile manager!

Ross
    Oh I fully agree!! For those that have used Server Admin & WGM they will be the ones that will be missing out on valuable tools, options and control that has been taken away for a more consumer look with Server.app. I would prefer to have the fine grain control that was in Snow Leopard over this Consumer Grade Server.app any day!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread