+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, OS X Mountain Lion Will Be Released Today in Technical; Finally!...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Finally!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will do it at home later ... only a few machines to do it on. I'll leave the work machine on the last beta for the moment (didn't bother going to the GM).

Thank Post
    4.34GB looks like it will be another leave my macbook on for a few days to download. really wish they still did DVD's with it on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mine came down in little under an hour. Just about to kick it off and make some dinner

Thank Post
    I just downloaded it, took a nap and just finished installing!

Oh btw, for those of us who might want to install it from scratch using a USB (which is what I did) this will help you to create a bootable USB - Serial Serveur » Lion DiskMaker (US)

Update: And the first thing to happen is my MacBook freezes during the final setup stage! :@
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 25th July 2012 at 07:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, I've got it going now. It seems OK so far, my Mac hasn't caught fire anyway.

There have been two things which have annoyed me though:

1) The Mail client doesn't support RSS feeds any more! When I opened Mail, they just weren't there and I'm damned if I can remember all of the ones I was subscribed to!
    2) Airplay mirroring doesn't work on my mid 2010 iMac.

Thank Post
    managed to download it in 2 hours and install took about 30mins, better than last year lion download which started at 5pm and didn't finish till 7:00 am the following morning

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    1) The Mail client doesn't support RSS feeds any more! When I opened Mail, they just weren't there and I'm damned if I can remember all of the ones I was subscribed to!
    This may help...

Step One - Get the URLs from Apple Mail
    This is actually pretty simple as it turns out, simply execute the following script - extract-rss.sh. Save it somewhere (I'll assume your downloads folder), open a Terminal session and enter:

Code:
    chmod a+x ~/Downloads/extract-rss.sh
    ~/Downloads/extract-rss.sh
    Replace "~/Downloads" with whatever folder you saved the script to. Feel free to open it and take a look. It's not my most spectacular script, but what the heck, it works right!

This script will create a file in your Home folder (the one with your username in Finder) called "RSS.txt". Open it in TextEdit and copy the entire content. We'll need the contents of this file in the clipboard for the next step. (Source)
    or

Using the Mail RSS Exporter app, I was able to export the feeds into an OPML file, but guess what? Of course Google Reader wouldn’t take it because it was formatted incorrectly. I put this blame more on Apple’s part than the exporter app. I have a feeling it’s their crappy treatment of RSS that’s done this. But at least I was able to open the exported OPML file using some Omni program that came with the Mac. And I could read the names of the blogs I had to subscribe to. And I manually visited every website to get the URL to manually add to Google Reader. This is ridiculous. (Source)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    2) Airplay mirroring doesn't work on my mid 2010 iMac.
    I think Apple made the right decision. Without Intel's QuickSync technology to do the realtime H.264 encoding, AirPlay Mirroring can slow your Mac down quite a bit...

Mountain Lion AirPlay mirroring v. AirParrot: fight! « Ars Technica

Mountain Lion's integrated AirPlay mirroring support only works with the following Mac models:

• iMac—Mid 2011 or newer
    • Mac mini—Mid 2011 or newer
    • MacBook Air—Mid 2011 or newer
    • MacBook Pro—Early 2011 or newer

If your Mac isn't on that list, your won't ever see an AirPlay option in Mountain Lion's menubar.

What separates these Macs from other Mountain Lion-compatible machines is that these are the only models that have support for Intel's QuickSync technology. What confirmed this requirement for me was the fact that my Retina MacBook Pro switched to integrated Intel HD4000 graphics even when otherwise running on the discrete NVIDIA GT 650M GPU. No matter what you are doing or what resolution you are running, AirPlay Mirroring in Mountain Lion requires an integrated Intel HD3000 or HD4000 graphics processor and its QuickSync technology to work, full stop.

The upside is that if you have a supported Mac and are running Mountain Lion, AirPlay Mirroring works as advertised. The downside is that older machines, and all Mac Pros, are left out of the "official" AirPlay party.
    AirParrot offers significantly more flexibility and wider compatibility than AirPlay Mirroring. But the differences highlight a philosophical distinction between the "Apple way" of doing things and what users might otherwise want.

As we noted earlier, AirPlay Mirroring is dead simple to use. Aside from optionally changing the resolution, there's basically no configuration or control involved. You turn it on, it works, and you turn it off when you're done. The hardware-based QuickSync compression makes streaming smooth at high frame rates, and has very little lag. Specific hardware is required to give the end-user this optimized experience, though, so Apple limits the feature to those machines.

AirParrot, on the other hand, enables a much wider variety of hardware to stream to an Apple TV. But the experience on lesser hardware isn't as straightforward or as smooth. There's more noticeable latency, the frame rate may be choppy or inconsistent, or you may have to settle for more highly compressed output.

AirParrot's real-time scaling relies on significant CPU power, too, which can cause your machine's fans to make a lot of noise or other apps to slow down. Mountain Lion's AirPlay Mirroring, on the other hand, barely blipped the CPU when I tested it, as the QuickSync hardware does most of the heavy lifting. AirParrot's developers note that setting your Mac to the native resolution of your Apple TV (either 1280x720 or 1920x1080) can significantly reduce CPU usage, as can limiting the frame rate or reducing video quality. But doing so still requires user intervention.

Effectively, Apple trades higher or more recent hardware requirements for a simpler, smoother user experience. AirParrot trades complexity and CPU utilization for more features and wider compatibility. If you have a compatible machine and are already running Mountain Lion, AirPlay Mirroring will probably satisfy your needs. But if you don't have compatible hardware, AirParrot is definitely worth considering. Just be prepared to tweak your settings to suit your Mac's capabilities.

Thank Post
    It's a shame the dock can no longer be customized in ML.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I think Apple made the right decision. Without Intel's QuickSync technology to do the realtime H.264 encoding, AirPlay Mirroring can slow your Mac down quite a bit...

Mountain Lion AirPlay mirroring v. AirParrot: fight! « Ars Technica
    More 'Apple' features from Intel, Airplay, EFI, Thunderbolt. Its a good thing they switched to Intel otherwise they would have to make technology for themselves.

Thank Post
    Last edited by Arthur; 29th July 2012 at 10:43 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12