+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, iTunes hangs on startup in Technical; Is there a way to set the default media player to VLC for all users? I haven't found a way ...
    Thank Post
    Is there a way to set the default media player to VLC for all users? I haven't found a way yet.

If I have to muck about with setting up more proxies, then these things would be better off dual booted into Windows7.

Thank Post
    Never tried this but don't see why it would not work. Change the default app for a file extension and then add the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist in ~/Library/Preferences to workgroup manager.

I presume you know how to change the default app for a file extension? (cmd+I on a file, change open with to preferred app and click change all button, repeat for all file extensions.)

3. Thanks to JR-PCS from:

Sheridan (17th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try, I'll have to give up on itunes for now.

Thank Post
    Just to update this, I set our proxy to allow unauthenticated access to all of apple.com, and it makes no difference at all. Its not the proxy causing the problem, its the Itunes app itself that hangs before any internet access is attempted. It works fine as an admin so obviously the latest update of itunes is screwed up for the time being.

Even more info: When watching the users home folder (and comparing it to an admins) it seems to create the \Music\itunes folder the same as a working user, but missing the following two files:

Itunes Library.itl
    Itunes Music Library.xml

Does that mean anything to anyone perhaps?
    Last edited by Sheridan; 18th July 2012 at 10:36 AM.

Thank Post
    you could try and remove DesktopVideoOut.component from ~/Library/Quicktime

also try and open in safe mode by holding down the Option and Command keys (Mac) while launching iTunes
    Last edited by markcuk; 18th July 2012 at 11:26 AM.

Thank Post
    I tried in safe mode and it still hangs - I can't find the DesktopVideoOut.component file on any of the failing or working users folders

Thank Post
    I have had this, the work-around I found to fix it was to log on to the mac as the user then pull out the network cable and open iTunes so that iTunes gives you the "could not connect to the Store" then go to the prefs and uncheck the "Check for new software automatically". Then put the network cable back in this would have to be done on a per user basis.

The only other way to get around this I have found is to give the mac a Static IP and authenticate with the IP instead of the username and password for Internet access.
    It seems to be an issue when iTunes trys to check for new software with a authenticating proxy in place.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmick9 View Post
    I have had this, the work-around I found to fix it was to log on to the mac as the user then pull out the network cable and open iTunes so that iTunes gives you the "could not connect to the Store" then go to the prefs and uncheck the "Check for new software automatically". Then put the network cable back in this would have to be done on a per user basis.

The only other way to get around this I have found is to give the mac a Static IP and authenticate with the IP instead of the username and password for Internet access.
    It seems to be an issue when iTunes trys to check for new software with a authenticating proxy in place.
    I tried this and Itunes now starts and gets as far as the dialogue asking where the location of the Itunes library is - it doesn't hang but you can't proceed becuase you can't select the local drive and your network home is now unavailable with the cable pulled out! So it does look like the same thing you were having.

I tried to set our smoothwall box to allow unauthenticated access to itunes, but it still seemed to hang. I allowed *.apple.com in the end and that still didn't fix it. Is there a site that itunes tries to hit first?

EDIT: I think I've cracked it. Allowing unauthenticated access to the sites apple.com, mzstatic.com and cddbp.net seems to allow non admin users to run itunes as it starts up straight away. Cheers apple for more ropey 'home use only' software!
    Last edited by Sheridan; 23rd July 2012 at 10:40 AM.

10. Thanks to Sheridan from:

timpaxton (24th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post

EDIT: I think I've cracked it. Allowing unauthenticated access to the sites apple.com, mzstatic.com and cddbp.net seems to allow non admin users to run itunes as it starts up straight away. Cheers apple for more ropey 'home use only' software!
    Worth noting that I've got the same setup as you, (Macs, AD-OD golden triangle, SmoothWall) and I've also had to except service.gracenote.com in the past. cddbp.net was a new one to me though, and that's now in my iTunes exception list. Agree with you, when will Apple make software that is proxy friendly and may even behave behind a corporate firewall. Grrr indeed!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    @tom_newton - Thought smoothwall were in the process of making an OS X client ref the proxy side ( ident client or something like that , not sure if that is what it is called )

Over to you Tom / Smoothwall etc

Thank Post
    We was ok with Mac, Linux and Windows and smoothwall but we was using ident authentication at the time. This year we have set to NTLM auth which makes a problem with Macs, iPads etc..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaxton View Post
    Worth noting that I've got the same setup as you, (Macs, AD-OD golden triangle, SmoothWall) and I've also had to except service.gracenote.com in the past. cddbp.net was a new one to me though, and that's now in my iTunes exception list. Agree with you, when will Apple make software that is proxy friendly and may even behave behind a corporate firewall. Grrr indeed!
    Odd isn't it, that I didn't have to allow gracenote.com and you didn't have to allow cddbp.net! Its inconsistent across the board.

I quite like a lots of apple features/products. But they're still desgined with home use only in mind, or in an all apple environment. Its about time apple caught up! I remember used Novell Netware 2.11 with Windows 95 with no issues back in the 90's - so why can't apple!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12