+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
Mac Thread, iTunes hangs on startup in Technical; Is there a way to set the default media player to VLC for all users? I haven't found a way ...
  1. #16
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,381
    Thank Post
    125
    Thanked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Is there a way to set the default media player to VLC for all users? I haven't found a way yet.

    If I have to muck about with setting up more proxies, then these things would be better off dual booted into Windows7.

  2. #17
    JR-PCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    91
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Never tried this but don't see why it would not work. Change the default app for a file extension and then add the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist in ~/Library/Preferences to workgroup manager.

    I presume you know how to change the default app for a file extension? (cmd+I on a file, change open with to preferred app and click change all button, repeat for all file extensions.)

  3. Thanks to JR-PCS from:

    Sheridan (17th July 2012)

  4. #18
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,381
    Thank Post
    125
    Thanked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try, I'll have to give up on itunes for now.

  5. #19
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,381
    Thank Post
    125
    Thanked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Just to update this, I set our proxy to allow unauthenticated access to all of apple.com, and it makes no difference at all. Its not the proxy causing the problem, its the Itunes app itself that hangs before any internet access is attempted. It works fine as an admin so obviously the latest update of itunes is screwed up for the time being.

    Even more info: When watching the users home folder (and comparing it to an admins) it seems to create the \Music\itunes folder the same as a working user, but missing the following two files:

    Itunes Library.itl
    Itunes Music Library.xml

    Does that mean anything to anyone perhaps?
    Last edited by Sheridan; 18th July 2012 at 10:36 AM.

  6. #20
    markcuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    587
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 60 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    you could try and remove DesktopVideoOut.component from ~/Library/Quicktime

    also try and open in safe mode by holding down the Option and Command keys (Mac) while launching iTunes
    Last edited by markcuk; 18th July 2012 at 11:26 AM.

  7. #21
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,381
    Thank Post
    125
    Thanked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    I tried in safe mode and it still hangs - I can't find the DesktopVideoOut.component file on any of the failing or working users folders

  8. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I have had this, the work-around I found to fix it was to log on to the mac as the user then pull out the network cable and open iTunes so that iTunes gives you the "could not connect to the Store" then go to the prefs and uncheck the "Check for new software automatically". Then put the network cable back in this would have to be done on a per user basis.

    The only other way to get around this I have found is to give the mac a Static IP and authenticate with the IP instead of the username and password for Internet access.
    It seems to be an issue when iTunes trys to check for new software with a authenticating proxy in place.

  9. #23
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,381
    Thank Post
    125
    Thanked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmick9 View Post
    I have had this, the work-around I found to fix it was to log on to the mac as the user then pull out the network cable and open iTunes so that iTunes gives you the "could not connect to the Store" then go to the prefs and uncheck the "Check for new software automatically". Then put the network cable back in this would have to be done on a per user basis.

    The only other way to get around this I have found is to give the mac a Static IP and authenticate with the IP instead of the username and password for Internet access.
    It seems to be an issue when iTunes trys to check for new software with a authenticating proxy in place.
    I tried this and Itunes now starts and gets as far as the dialogue asking where the location of the Itunes library is - it doesn't hang but you can't proceed becuase you can't select the local drive and your network home is now unavailable with the cable pulled out! So it does look like the same thing you were having.

    I tried to set our smoothwall box to allow unauthenticated access to itunes, but it still seemed to hang. I allowed *.apple.com in the end and that still didn't fix it. Is there a site that itunes tries to hit first?

    EDIT: I think I've cracked it. Allowing unauthenticated access to the sites apple.com, mzstatic.com and cddbp.net seems to allow non admin users to run itunes as it starts up straight away. Cheers apple for more ropey 'home use only' software!
    Last edited by Sheridan; 23rd July 2012 at 10:40 AM.

  10. Thanks to Sheridan from:

    timpaxton (24th July 2012)

  11. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    14
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post

    EDIT: I think I've cracked it. Allowing unauthenticated access to the sites apple.com, mzstatic.com and cddbp.net seems to allow non admin users to run itunes as it starts up straight away. Cheers apple for more ropey 'home use only' software!
    Worth noting that I've got the same setup as you, (Macs, AD-OD golden triangle, SmoothWall) and I've also had to except service.gracenote.com in the past. cddbp.net was a new one to me though, and that's now in my iTunes exception list. Agree with you, when will Apple make software that is proxy friendly and may even behave behind a corporate firewall. Grrr indeed!

  12. #25

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,898
    Thank Post
    3,424
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Rep Power
    369
    @tom_newton - Thought smoothwall were in the process of making an OS X client ref the proxy side ( ident client or something like that , not sure if that is what it is called )

    Over to you Tom / Smoothwall etc

  13. #26

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    38
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    We was ok with Mac, Linux and Windows and smoothwall but we was using ident authentication at the time. This year we have set to NTLM auth which makes a problem with Macs, iPads etc..

  14. #27
    Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,381
    Thank Post
    125
    Thanked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaxton View Post
    Worth noting that I've got the same setup as you, (Macs, AD-OD golden triangle, SmoothWall) and I've also had to except service.gracenote.com in the past. cddbp.net was a new one to me though, and that's now in my iTunes exception list. Agree with you, when will Apple make software that is proxy friendly and may even behave behind a corporate firewall. Grrr indeed!
    Odd isn't it, that I didn't have to allow gracenote.com and you didn't have to allow cddbp.net! Its inconsistent across the board.

    I quite like a lots of apple features/products. But they're still desgined with home use only in mind, or in an all apple environment. Its about time apple caught up! I remember used Novell Netware 2.11 with Windows 95 with no issues back in the 90's - so why can't apple!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Startup hangs on Applying Deployed Printer Connections policy
    By neilmc in forum Windows Server 2008 R2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th January 2012, 10:40 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th January 2011, 11:57 AM
  3. Kerberos hanging on startup
    By Jobos in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24th February 2010, 05:40 PM
  4. Dell D510 hangs on startup
    By thom in forum Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th February 2008, 05:31 PM
  5. CC3 Workstations seem to hang on logoff
    By Mintsoft in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th February 2006, 03:33 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •