+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, ooopsy in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

ooopsy

I spilt a pint glass that had about an inch of water left in the bottom on my mac book air. It mainly went at the top area above the keys. I instantly grabbed a cloth and got up the small amount that was actually on the Air and it worked fine for 3 hours after. When i took it out of its carry case later that day it boots, but the fans are on max, and its like the processor is in some limp mode , as its just extreamly slow to do anything, and the mouse pad does not really work.

Its only 2 weeks old too normally would not be too annoyed but since it cost £1000 i am a bit peed with my self. Never ever spilt anything on a computer before in my life, so it would have to be on this!

Should i take it to the Apple store or should i undo the screws my self and see if it has any damp patches?

Thank Post
    take it to store act dunfounded!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Apple have been fitting liquid contact indicators for a while... the above is just for the patent.

Take it to the Apple Store BEFORE you attack it yourself. Once Apple hand it back and say "one or more of it's 8 liquid contact indicators are blue, therefore you've spilled something on it so it's no longer covered by warranty" THEN take the screws out yourself, but as with all IT/Electronics gear, if it gets wet at all switch it off immediately and leave it off for 72 hours somewhere warm and dry before switching it back on.
    Last edited by Marci; 11th July 2012 at 04:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Apple have been fitting liquid contact indicators for a while... the above is just for the patent.

Take it to the Apple Store BEFORE you attack it yourself. Once Apple hand it back and say "one or more of it's 8 liquid contact indicators are blue, therefore you've spilled something on it so it's no longer covered by warranty" THEN take the screws out yourself, but as with all IT/Electronics gear, if it gets wet at all switch it off immediately and leave it off for 72 hours somewhere warm and dry before switching it back on.
    Totally agree with this, it is very likely to have an indicator showing that it has water damage. Hard luck, that must suck

Still might be worth trying to turn it off and leave in an airing cupboard for a few days, but you should have done this straight away really and turning it on without allowing it to dry normally kills the logic board, or other parts.

6. Thanks to JR-PCS from:

mac_shinobi (11th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR-PCS View Post
    Totally agree with this, it is very likely to have an indicator showing that it has water damage. Hard luck, that must suck

Still might be worth trying to turn it off and leave in an airing cupboard for a few days, but you should have done this straight away really and turning it on without allowing it to dry normally kills the logic board, or other parts.
    I would say remove / disconnect any power sources ( battery / mains lead etc ) but with them being apple kit am not sure if the battery is inside of the mac book air or what exactly ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I would say remove / disconnect any power sources ( battery / mains lead etc ) but with them being apple kit am not sure if the battery is inside of the mac book air or what exactly ?
    the battery is built in and so can't be removed without taking the mac apart.

9. Thanks to JR-PCS from:

mac_shinobi (11th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    Stick it in your airing cupboard for a week with the lid open and do not power on. Hopefully that will dry it out enough. I've rescued many phones and even a projector that had burst pipe water flowing straight through it in this way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Stick it in your airing cupboard for a week with the lid open and do not power on. Hopefully that will dry it out enough. I've rescued many phones and even a projector that had burst pipe water flowing straight through it in this way.
    Upside down so any liquid via gravity etc runs down and out or off and heat from said airing cupboard or source will obviously go up and should hopefully dry out a bit better

Thank Post
    Not sure if you can get something similar to this for larger devices ...

Save A Phone - Save-A-Phone

rad
    Thank Post
    I rescued my brothers Xbox controller by taking it apart and leaving it in the aring cupboard...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After you have dried it out for a couple of days reset the SMC which may well fix it, I think its something like ctrl shift option while plugging in and turning on.

Thank Post
    Definately leave it in the airing cupboard for 7+ days. If it's still doing the same thing, take it to your nearest Apple store with your reciept and tell them the symptoms - don't tell them you've spilt water on it or they'll just hand it back to you. Play dumb and see what happens.

Thank Post
    You should have bought a Rain Mac instead, cheaper and can handle water easily.

<<< Just like this one

17. 2 Thanks to alan-d:

Chris_ (12th July 2012), sparkeh (12th July 2012)

Thank Post
    I do not have an airing cupboard, so where is the next best place? Over on Gas Mark 3 ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast