+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Mac Thread, ooopsy in Technical; ...
  1. #1
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,450
    Thank Post
    45
    Thanked 160 Times in 135 Posts
    Rep Power
    57

    ooopsy

    I spilt a pint glass that had about an inch of water left in the bottom on my mac book air. It mainly went at the top area above the keys. I instantly grabbed a cloth and got up the small amount that was actually on the Air and it worked fine for 3 hours after. When i took it out of its carry case later that day it boots, but the fans are on max, and its like the processor is in some limp mode , as its just extreamly slow to do anything, and the mouse pad does not really work.

    Its only 2 weeks old too normally would not be too annoyed but since it cost £1000 i am a bit peed with my self. Never ever spilt anything on a computer before in my life, so it would have to be on this!

    Should i take it to the Apple store or should i undo the screws my self and see if it has any damp patches?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    1,842
    Thank Post
    219
    Thanked 271 Times in 219 Posts
    Rep Power
    70
    take it to store act dunfounded!

  3. #3

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    6,069
    Thank Post
    902
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    350

  4. #4
    Marci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    897
    Thank Post
    84
    Thanked 235 Times in 194 Posts
    Rep Power
    83
    Apple have been fitting liquid contact indicators for a while... the above is just for the patent.

    Take it to the Apple Store BEFORE you attack it yourself. Once Apple hand it back and say "one or more of it's 8 liquid contact indicators are blue, therefore you've spilled something on it so it's no longer covered by warranty" THEN take the screws out yourself, but as with all IT/Electronics gear, if it gets wet at all switch it off immediately and leave it off for 72 hours somewhere warm and dry before switching it back on.
    Last edited by Marci; 11th July 2012 at 05:02 PM.

  5. #5
    JR-PCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    91
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Apple have been fitting liquid contact indicators for a while... the above is just for the patent.

    Take it to the Apple Store BEFORE you attack it yourself. Once Apple hand it back and say "one or more of it's 8 liquid contact indicators are blue, therefore you've spilled something on it so it's no longer covered by warranty" THEN take the screws out yourself, but as with all IT/Electronics gear, if it gets wet at all switch it off immediately and leave it off for 72 hours somewhere warm and dry before switching it back on.
    Totally agree with this, it is very likely to have an indicator showing that it has water damage. Hard luck, that must suck

    Still might be worth trying to turn it off and leave in an airing cupboard for a few days, but you should have done this straight away really and turning it on without allowing it to dry normally kills the logic board, or other parts.

  6. Thanks to JR-PCS from:

    mac_shinobi (11th July 2012)

  7. #6

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,053
    Thank Post
    3,583
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Rep Power
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by JR-PCS View Post
    Totally agree with this, it is very likely to have an indicator showing that it has water damage. Hard luck, that must suck

    Still might be worth trying to turn it off and leave in an airing cupboard for a few days, but you should have done this straight away really and turning it on without allowing it to dry normally kills the logic board, or other parts.
    I would say remove / disconnect any power sources ( battery / mains lead etc ) but with them being apple kit am not sure if the battery is inside of the mac book air or what exactly ?

  8. #7
    JR-PCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    91
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I would say remove / disconnect any power sources ( battery / mains lead etc ) but with them being apple kit am not sure if the battery is inside of the mac book air or what exactly ?
    the battery is built in and so can't be removed without taking the mac apart.

  9. Thanks to JR-PCS from:

    mac_shinobi (11th July 2012)

  10. #8

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,222
    Thank Post
    1,925
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,774 Posts
    Rep Power
    842
    Stick it in your airing cupboard for a week with the lid open and do not power on. Hopefully that will dry it out enough. I've rescued many phones and even a projector that had burst pipe water flowing straight through it in this way.

  11. #9

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,053
    Thank Post
    3,583
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Rep Power
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Stick it in your airing cupboard for a week with the lid open and do not power on. Hopefully that will dry it out enough. I've rescued many phones and even a projector that had burst pipe water flowing straight through it in this way.
    Upside down so any liquid via gravity etc runs down and out or off and heat from said airing cupboard or source will obviously go up and should hopefully dry out a bit better

  12. #10

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,203
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
    Rep Power
    176
    Not sure if you can get something similar to this for larger devices ...

    Save A Phone - Save-A-Phone

  13. #11
    rad
    rad is offline
    rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,570
    Thank Post
    349
    Thanked 328 Times in 248 Posts
    Rep Power
    113
    I rescued my brothers Xbox controller by taking it apart and leaving it in the aring cupboard...

  14. #12

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,271
    Thank Post
    884
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    785
    After you have dried it out for a couple of days reset the SMC which may well fix it, I think its something like ctrl shift option while plugging in and turning on.

  15. #13
    Fazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    222
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 29 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Definately leave it in the airing cupboard for 7+ days. If it's still doing the same thing, take it to your nearest Apple store with your reciept and tell them the symptoms - don't tell them you've spilt water on it or they'll just hand it back to you. Play dumb and see what happens.


  16. #14
    alan-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    2,422
    Thank Post
    360
    Thanked 259 Times in 190 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    You should have bought a Rain Mac instead, cheaper and can handle water easily.

    <<< Just like this one

  17. 2 Thanks to alan-d:

    Chris_ (12th July 2012), sparkeh (12th July 2012)

  18. #15
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,450
    Thank Post
    45
    Thanked 160 Times in 135 Posts
    Rep Power
    57
    I do not have an airing cupboard, so where is the next best place? Over on Gas Mark 3 ?



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] Mirror, signal ... FAIL. Ooopsie-daisy.
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11th June 2009, 04:34 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •