+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Native Google Drive app for iOS in Technical; Native Google Drive app for iOS Posted: 29 Jun 2012 09:18 PM PDT A native Google Drive app for iOS ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Native Google Drive app for iOS

Native Google Drive app for iOS
    Posted: 29 Jun 2012 09:18 PM PDT
    A native Google Drive app for iOS devices (iOS 5.0+) is now available for download in the iTunes App Store. This app allows you to open all files stored in your Drive.

Editions included:
    Google Apps, Google Apps for Business, Government and Education

Languages included:
    All languages supported

Docs Blog: Announcing your two most requested features: offline document editing and Drive for iOS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 1st July 2012 at 02:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,962 Posts
    It's a shame about the limitations on iOS. The Android Google Drive app is much better (as you would expect).

Hands-on with the Google Drive for iOS app: mostly read only Ars Technica

There’s just one problem: once you get files outside the Google Drive app, there’s no way to get them back in with edits other than by emailing them or sharing them through another cloud service (like, say, iCloud). That sort of pain is to be expected with Cloud storage access on iOS, aside from Apple’s iCloud. Microsoft’s SkyDrive suffers something of the same problem—it integrates with other applications, including Apple’s Pages, for opening documents, but once you do, your edits get stuck back in a different document hole.
    Google Drive for iPad and iPhone hands-on The Verge

It won't take long for you to realize that there are a few major features missing here. There's no way to delete a file. Even worse, you can't upload any files from your iPad or iPhone from within the app, and you can't create new documents, either. As you may have guessed, that means that there's absolutely no editing functionality built into Drive for iOS. Google's support documentation encourages you to use the actions button when viewing a file to open it in another app on your device or view a document in Safari. The latter will let you edit the file in the Drive web app, and that's as good as it will get for would-be road warriors using Drive on iOS. For reference, Drive for Android not only allows you to edit files, but you can also view collaborator's changes in realtime — just like the full desktop web app.
    Google Drive for iOS hands-on Engadget

First and foremost, the most disappointing observation is the lack of editing on the iOS version. For such a large-scale cloud service, the concept of only being able to view your documents or other files without the ability to edit them is completely unacceptable. In fact, speaking of cloud services, Google has decided to allow you the opportunity to open your Drive docs in other iOS apps. In three clicks you can have your doc ported over to QuickOffice, Dropbox, Box.net, Evernote or whatever other document viewing program you like to use. But this doesn't mean you can actually edit your file -- text docs port over to other apps as PDFs, which means they're still stuck in view-only mode for every program we currently have on our device.

If you really, madly, deeply want to edit your docs, there's one way to do it -- click on the share button on the top right corner and choose "Open in Safari" to pull up the Google Drive web app that's been available on iDevices since the service launched. Indeed, this completely defeats the purpose of having a standalone app at all; you're better off keeping that web app shortcut on your springboard and accessing your files that way. At least it takes less steps to begin editing your docs.

The absence of this crucial feature in the app itself might be more understandable if it weren't for the fact that the Android app has the editing functionality built-in (although it essentially wraps the web app to do so), and there's no technical restriction preventing Google from actually adding it into the iOS app. On a good note, that means we may very well see this included in a future update.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So they have finally caught up to Skydrive after how long :P App Store - SkyDrive

Thank Post
    I have google drive on both iOS, Android and desktop, i had been using skydrive, but i use email and google account for phone, so using drive has tied things down nicely.

The only problem i find from the apps, is when i sync docs to be able to edit them they need to be google docs, but the apps wont allow for them to be converted, visit the website on the mobile device and it wont allow the fuction either, so a note to anyone, make sure you convert them to google docs if you want to actually work on them.

Note to google, sort this out as it makes the whole point of working from the cloud pretty awkward, if you have to visit a desktop to do this.

Thank Post
    i was a big dropbox user, but when google drive came along I looked to change.. I chose to move to skydrive as it was a lot cheaper that what im paying dropbox for. However, i just dont think its there yet and am regretting the move.

1. the file size limit is 2GB - Not good when you want to put your ISO's in the cloud
    2. It keeps crashing on my home server and MS cant fix it. The client just doesnt want to work on my s2k8r2 machine at home...

I may try google drive but dont like the fact that i'll have to change the files to google docs format to edit them....

But in the long term I can see me going back to dropbox

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    1. the file size limit is 2GB - Not good when you want to put your ISO's in the cloud
    Maybe they're running fat32

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

jamin100 (6th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Maybe they're running fat32
    Probably lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread