+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Migrating Home Dirs form 10.6.8 to 10.7.4 for AD users in Technical; Hello all, Just wondering if anyone has done this yet? I need to start moving our home dirs over to ...

Thank Post

Migrating Home Dirs form 10.6.8 to 10.7.4 for AD users

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has done this yet?

I need to start moving our home dirs over to the new 10.7 server we have just gotten. Our XRAID is now getting on and filling up fast. I have started to look into how well the mac mini server can serve up home dirs. But I have come to a bit of a stumbling block on how to use the new (and much crappy) server.app to manage ACLS on the home dirs. it seems that once you create a share and change the permissions they are proper gated down. This means that once I copy over an existing home the permissions all get messed up. I suppose I could use terminal/bash to do the job and rectify the perms issue but is there a way to manage ACLs in Lion Server?

TIA

Thank Post
    Scratch the above post. I have just found this article:

Setting permissions using Server.app

It seems that instead of using the file sharing tab now, you need to click on the server listed under hardware in the left side-bar and the click the Storage tab. Once here using the disclosure triangles, drill down to the folder you wish to change permissions on. Then click on the cog below and choose edit permissions. Then using the tick boxes for each of the permissions (read only, write only etc) you can turn them on/off.

You can also proper gate them here too.

A bit confusing to say the least.

This may also be of use.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...es permissions
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 12th June 2012 at 12:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Ok. So moving on from this issue onto another.

Has anyone had any issues accessing an SMB share on a lion server from a Server 2003 box? I keep getting errors like:

The Home folder could not be created because: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.
    From a lion client the share is fine when accessed by a domain admin user. From a Windows 7 client the share is accessible. I have yet to try a 10.6 client or win XP. I'm thinking it's a SMB2 issue.

Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    I was barking up the wrong tree. For some unknown reason to Apple, Service Access Control Lists are still managed in Server Admin whereas the access to the File Sharing tools is found in the Server.app.

I added the admin users and groups to the list along with my user account. However, when trying to access the share on the lion server I was getting errors returned. Everything seemed to point to permissions/access rights but I couldn't work out where. After removing SACLs on the AFP and SMB (just the smb service might suffice) I can now access the share on the Lion server. So it's either the SACLs aren't working properly or the account information was incorrect on the SACLs. I added the domain admins group to the list though so surely that should have been enough?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread