+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Mac Thread, Apple enterprise and iOS: how would you want it to work? in Technical; Originally Posted by Rydra The internal iCloud I like, not sure about the point of the licensing server though. That ...
  1. #16
    User3204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    769
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 66 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    The internal iCloud I like, not sure about the point of the licensing server though. That can be cloud-based, since licensing is already handled at the Apple end rather than client end, they just track number of times license is used/tied against serial numbers of devices which apple pulls down anyway when you register them etc.

    As to the time-controls of apps, that sounds needlessly complicated to me, and I've not heard of a PC based system that allows this level of application control based on times, at least not so dynamically, since windows relies on physical files for it's linking, so to turn that on and off would be a nightmare. It's begging for things to go wrong. Much better to have open access and have users with the concentration above a gnat and someone to manage the class effectively.
    I have some Windows based software that is licensed concurrently, Sibelius for one, and I'm sure there's others. My thought was if these are off the App store it would be able to be controlled via this 'local 'iCloud', just, because.

    The point about the time shifting of the apps, is due to the fact I suspect we're going to end up with loads and loads of apps per subject, I thought it would be good to 'hide' the ones they didn't need. What I've noticed with the software in our school, we have three main groups: 1. general stuff office etc, 2. Tech dept stuff 3. Languages stuff. Everyone else just use the internet.
    It's not a deal-breaker, and if there's nothing out there that did it, I'd have to look at some way of putting different apps in different folders (I don't have an Ipad, so I don't know if we can have folders on the Ipad screen).



    Also, while I think, I'd want the tablet 'desktop' to be locked in the same way as I lock down the Windows client desktop icons. As I don't want students changing Icon colours and moving them around. Everything I think makes me want to run all the apps from a web-based Sharepoint intranet server.

  2. #17


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,105
    Thank Post
    256
    Thanked 450 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    I have some Windows based software that is licensed concurrently, Sibelius for one, and I'm sure there's others. My thought was if these are off the App store it would be able to be controlled via this 'local 'iCloud', just, because.

    The point about the time shifting of the apps, is due to the fact I suspect we're going to end up with loads and loads of apps per subject, I thought it would be good to 'hide' the ones they didn't need. What I've noticed with the software in our school, we have three main groups: 1. general stuff office etc, 2. Tech dept stuff 3. Languages stuff. Everyone else just use the internet.
    It's not a deal-breaker, and if there's nothing out there that did it, I'd have to look at some way of putting different apps in different folders (I don't have an Ipad, so I don't know if we can have folders on the Ipad screen).



    Also, while I think, I'd want the tablet 'desktop' to be locked in the same way as I lock down the Windows client desktop icons. As I don't want students changing Icon colours and moving them around. Everything I think makes me want to run all the apps from a web-based Sharepoint intranet server.
    If you're already buying the license from a cloud-like interface, might as well license it there too!

    Ipad Apps can be grouped into folders and the folders named appropriately; eg, create a maths folder, a literacy folder and so on. As to locking the tablet desktop, I dont think you can do that per say as Apple still treat them as personal devices. But if they break things that badly, you just backup/restore the things which with the right setup and kit takes minutes.

  3. #18
    AButters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    477
    Thank Post
    143
    Thanked 107 Times in 82 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    How should iPads work in the enterpise? Perhaps Apple could get in a Windows NT 4 server. Start working from that would be a good idea. Maybe when they get confident they could take a look at Active Directory but that may be too much too fast for them I think.

  4. #19

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,950
    Thank Post
    1,345
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    How should iPads work in the enterpise? Perhaps Apple could get in a Windows NT 4 server. Start working from that would be a good idea. Maybe when they get confident they could take a look at Active Directory but that may be too much too fast for them I think.
    Macs have had policy based stuff for ages on OSX and before that there was some fantastic middleware called MacAdministrator. They know the concepts ... But don't apply them to iOS devices. That is the problem.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    kidderminster
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    27
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    How should iPads work in the enterpise? Perhaps Apple could get in a Windows NT 4 server. Start working from that would be a good idea. Maybe when they get confident they could take a look at Active Directory but that may be too much too fast for them I think.
    None of that will ever happen, Mac OS X already integrates with AD very well, iOS devices can already be managed via Exchange as well...

  6. #21
    User3204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    769
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 66 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    I wouldn't mind if I had to buy an Apple Mac server specifically to just control the IOS devices. Obviously I'd would want to get the userlist from Windows AD.

    If we're going to start using Ipads in school not on a 1:1 basis, then we're going to need some way of having the students able to logon to the Pad. Which is no the way that Apple want them used, they have made them as a single user device, I suspect to get it to be multi-user they're going to need to do a major redesign of the IOS system. I'm not going to be able to get 1:1 for my school unless someone finds about £2million down the back of the sofa.

    Personally, I'm waiting for Windows 8, as I reckon this will be multi-user natively (unlike every version of Windows prior to Windows 2000 - yeah I get the irony here).

    Lion OSX server seems to have some IOS control / management systems, although I think the user can override it (I think I need to check this though).

  7. #22


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,058
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Rep Power
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    Personally, I'm waiting for Windows 8, as I reckon this will be multi-user natively
    Computers running Windows 8 will allow multiple users to logon. Windows RT devices won't on the other-hand.

  8. #23
    ste1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    177
    Thank Post
    77
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Computers running Windows 8 will allow multiple users to logon. Windows RT devices won't on the other-hand.
    Massive oversight on Microsofts part there, i thought they might for a second offer something for tablets that apple do not.

  9. #24
    User3204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    769
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 66 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Computers running Windows 8 will allow multiple users to logon. Windows RT devices won't on the other-hand.
    Well, damnit, they'd better be less than £200 per device, otherwise I just won't bother.

  10. #25

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,817
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Computers running Windows 8 will allow multiple users to logon. Windows RT devices won't on the other-hand.
    so again MS are bringing out technology which is already out...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th November 2011, 12:32 PM
  2. New Virtualized Servers - how would you do it?
    By sonofsanta in forum Hardware
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 21st June 2011, 08:58 AM
  3. Software updates - How would you do it if you were me?
    By jmair in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15th April 2011, 12:59 AM
  4. Record data during login, how would you do it?
    By jmair in forum Windows Server 2008 R2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd December 2010, 04:08 PM
  5. How would you do it?
    By jayemm in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17th August 2010, 11:24 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •