+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, App Store Setup for Multiple Lion iMacs in Technical; We just purchased an OSX Lion Mac Mini server and 4 iMac computers. I plan to create a base image ...

Thank Post

App Store Setup for Multiple Lion iMacs

We just purchased an OSX Lion Mac Mini server and 4 iMac computers. I plan to create a base image on one of the iMacs and deploy to the other 3 using DeployStudio on the Mac Mini server.

SMT wants the iMacs setup by early next week, but I'm fairly new to Macs so I have a few questions that I'm hoping one of you can help answer:

1. I need to install iLife on all 4 iMacs. iLife 2011 came bundled with these iMacs (they came with Lion from the factory) but it has to be downloaded from the App Store. My plan was to create one App Store account for the base image iMac, download and install iLife on the base image iMac, then upload the image to DeployStudio. Would this plan work ok, or is there a different way I need to setup the App Store account?

2. We purchased boxed copies of Logic Express & Aperature. Would there be any problems if I simply installed one copy of these to the base image iMac, then uploaded the image to DeployStudio? We have enough boxed copies to legally cover all iMacs.

3. Am I correct in that Apple Remote Desktop has to be purchased via the App Store and is not included in Lion Server for free?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by netadmin View Post
    We just purchased an OSX Lion Mac Mini server and 4 iMac computers. I plan to create a base image on one of the iMacs and deploy to the other 3 using DeployStudio on the Mac Mini server.

SMT wants the iMacs setup by early next week, but I'm fairly new to Macs so I have a few questions that I'm hoping one of you can help answer:

1. I need to install iLife on all 4 iMacs. iLife 2011 came bundled with these iMacs (they came with Lion from the factory) but it has to be downloaded from the App Store. My plan was to create one App Store account for the base image iMac, download and install iLife on the base image iMac, then upload the image to DeployStudio. Would this plan work ok, or is there a different way I need to setup the App Store account?

2. We purchased boxed copies of Logic Express & Aperature. Would there be any problems if I simply installed one copy of these to the base image iMac, then uploaded the image to DeployStudio? We have enough boxed copies to legally cover all iMacs.

3. Am I correct in that Apple Remote Desktop has to be purchased via the App Store and is not included in Lion Server for free?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    As far as I'm aware, all of the above is correct. Apple and business licensing is not the simplest in the world, as they simply don't do anything about it.

Your best bet is to try it and see I think, making a backup of the iMac you test on first using DeployStudio.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Not what was asked...

4. Thanks to localzuk from:

netadmin (20th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ooops sorry i must be having an off morning.

Thank Post
    Since each client is purchased at the same time each should be licensed for the same software i.e. Lion, iLife '11 etc. With ARD, yes it can only be downloaded now unless you can find someone who still ships the boxed copy, highly unlikely though as Apple has either sold through all boxed copies or recalled them.

You may be able to use ARD to distribute the software afterwards if time becomes an issue.

I have rolled out some app store software just simply using the copy command in ARD. Works fine.

7. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

netadmin (21st May 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread