+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Upgrade path for Mac OS X server 10.5? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Upgrade path for Mac OS X server 10.5?

Our mac server is currently on 10.5 leopard and we are about to upgrade our clients to Lion.
    It would make sense to upgrade the server but I can't find an upgrade to 10.6 and then 10.7 on the apple store or even when talking to their sales!
    I was told I would have to buy a new licence for 10.6 at £417 then I could upgrade that for £35.

Does this sound right?

thanks

Thank Post
    I would speak to an education reseller like Stormfront, Western Computer, or AT Computers to name a few. There Education team can hopefully still quote for an education priced license of 10.6 server which will be quite a bit cheaper than £417. Once you have upgraded to snow leopard server you can then install lion from the app store. It may be easier for your school if you buy lion server from the reseller as they will then give you a redemption code to use in the app store.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    £417
    For that, you might as well buy a new mac mini server!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ste1988 View Post
    For that, you might as well buy a new mac mini server!
    Your telling me! I was tempted. That price can't be right.

Thank Post
    i'm sure the education price for 10.6 server was under £200.

Thank Post
    Easy.......

1. Backup your server's data to an external drive.

2. Using one of your new Macs with Lion, buy Lion Server from the Mac App Store, configure Lion Server then use CCC or another clone tool to clone that Mac, format your old server and install the cloned Lion Server onto your existing server.

The following docs will help you...

http://images.apple.com/macosx/serve...ting_v10.7.pdf

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    Easy.......

1. Backup your server's data to an external drive.

2. Using one of your new Macs with Lion, buy Lion Server from the Mac App Store, configure Lion Server then use CCC or another clone tool to clone that Mac, format your old server and install the cloned Lion Server onto your existing server.

The following docs will help you...

http://images.apple.com/macosx/serve...ting_v10.7.pdf
    umm..... I hope no one would do this. You need to own licenses for software and what your suggesting would break all licensing agreements on Mac OSX

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JR-PCS View Post
    umm..... I hope no one would do this. You need to own licenses for software and what your suggesting would break all licensing agreements on Mac OSX
    Mmmm...I hope anyone would do this, migrating from an old server running 10.5 using this method in no way whatsoever breaks Mac OS X licensing I suggest you read the guide I posted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JR-PCS View Post
    Can't you do that though? Just buy 10.7 and the server app should do fine for licencing. Why do you need to buy 10.6? If you read the licence for 10.7 you could use another 10.7 computer to copy it from but you can't use and run on 2 computers at a time and would need to wipe the original computer (or put 10.5 on that) if you dont buy another copy of 10.7. So just buy another copy of lion and you can start using the donner computer again.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
    A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

Thank Post
    The guide just tells you how to migrate data from a 10.5.8 or higher server, it doesn't discuss licensing or mention your cloning suggestion from when I scanned through it just now.

However I have just come up with another idea that is definitely legal in terms of licensing. Instead of buying a copy of snow leopard server, just buy a copy of Leopard (linked here) for £26 and then upgrade that to lion. Notice on that page it also states:

"To upgrade your Mac to OS X Lion, you must be running OS X Snow Leopard. If you have OS X v10.5 Leopard, purchase OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard now and install it on your Mac. Then buy OS X Lion as a digital download from the Mac App Store."

Of course before you wipe the current 10.5 server to install 10.6 just take a backup and then follow the guide that Sean-OC04 posted so that you can migrate the data.
    Last edited by JR-PCS; 15th May 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 2,179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    Alternatively...

1) Backup your server's data to an external drive.
    2) Buy a copy of Snow Leopard (as mentioned above).
    3) Buy Lion and Lion Server from the Mac App Store (but don't install either of them).
    4) Create a bootable USB flash drive or DVD from the InstallESD.dmg file included with the Lion installer app.
    5) Do a clean install of Lion on your server and then install the Lion Server apps from the Mac App Store.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Following on from this; I'm looking to upgrade our current 10.4 server to 10.7 server (as managed preferences don't seem to be working between 10.4 server 10.7 client).
    I'm considering Arthur's clean install method above. Obvioulsy this cannot be done on the live mac server at the moment, so I'm mini to proof test it before migrating in the summer.

Can anybody currently running 10.7 server confirm if settings (specifically workgroup manager settings) are exportable/importable. Or would cloning this mac mini to the xserve be a better approach.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread