+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Apple Wireless in Technical; Hi, .. I've just spent 10 minutes writing a maessage and then forgot to click the submit new thread button.. ...
    Thank Post

Apple Wireless

Hi,

.. I've just spent 10 minutes writing a maessage and then forgot to click the submit new thread button..

Anyway..

I am new to Apples, and we've only had them in school a couple of years, and I am wondering the best way to get them onto the wireless.
    Currently we have a wireless network which is working fine for the WIndows machines, and mostly fine for the Apple machines, but we have: 2x MacBooks, 4x Iphones, 12x Ipads, and a couple of Ipods due sometime this month.

I have noticed that I am unable to use the time machine backup over the wireless from my macbook, but I can do it when I am connected via the ethernet.
    I suspect there are other things I can't do, but just not noticed yet too.

What is the best way to get these services to work for the Apple machines ?

When we upgrade to Lion (probably this summer) I will also want to take control using the 'Apple devices' features within Lion, but since I can't see the time machine, I don't think I'll be abel to see these either.

What I was thinking was I needed to create a new VLAN / SSID for the Apple machines called 'AppleAccess', and also multi-home the Mac Server into this. But this seems like a lot of hassle, although I am technically able to do this, I wonder if this is the right way. I'd rather not put all the Appple devices wired and wireless in the saem VLAN, as I like to keep them separate for security.

In the future I am looking towards creating an 'open wireless' for the students to be able to connect thei rown devices into this, and I suspect it would be useful if they were also able to see the macserver (if they're apple devices). So, I'd then have to create another VLAN / SSID called 'OpenApple'. Which means I'm going to end up with loads of SSIDs and VLANs, which is messy, ever though they don't interfere with eachother, it gets complicated having 5-6 wireless SSIDs across the site.

Any help / suggestions ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately the idea of multiple VLANS and SSIDs is going to be the way we work in the future. It really is the only way we can realistically segment networks without going down the route of physical separation.

For managing the OSX and iOS devices I would recommend you investigate using OSX Server (MacMini Servers are pretty ok for a small number like this) as this could also help with other things you want to do with them.

Talking about your Time Machine backup ... you don't say what it is on ... is it a Time Capsule? Is it on another machine? How does this connect to your network? LAN or WiFi? The same subnet as your other devices?

Thank Post
    Yeah, I should have said, I've got a Mac Mini running as a Snow Leopard Server at the moment, and this is where the Time machine 'server' is running.

Darn, I suspected I was going to have to create a bunch of SSIDs and VLANs, but I'd rather simplify the network rather than make it more complicated. I've got a dozen or so VLANs on our network at the moment already, this'll be adding another bunch of them.

In addition to all those wireless devices we've got another 15 Imacs, and I think we're going to have to put another half dozen Mac Minis into one of the ICT suites.

Man, we had no Apple devices two years ago, suddenly there's 40 of them.
    Still shoudn't grumble...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread