+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, iWeb for Media Studies curriculum? in Technical; Are there any other schools out there using iWeb as part of the Media Studies curriculum? It's been a nightmare ...

Thank Post

Question iWeb for Media Studies curriculum?

Are there any other schools out there using iWeb as part of the Media Studies curriculum?

It's been a nightmare over here in from an IT support standpoint as none of the resources are self-contained..

The trouble is they really like using iWeb it's just really flakey and it's lost students work on several occasions. (missing/corrupt pages - missing resources etc)

Are there any alternative easy to use web editors out there for mac that could be used instead? Needs to be more stable than iWeb!

Thanks,

Martin

Thank Post
    Tumult Hype we use this, it's simple, stable and beautiful. The support is great and they offer education pricing. Our students have made everything from basic websites to 'app' layouts etc with this.

It doesn't automatically link pages like iweb, it's more a html5 animation tool, but imo it's what iweb should be. You can even combine with iweb. HYPE IS AWESOME.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_moonface View Post
    Tumult Hype we use this, it's simple, stable and beautiful. The support is great and they offer education pricing. Our students have made everything from basic websites to 'app' layouts etc with this.

It doesn't automatically link pages like iweb, it's more a html5 animation tool, but imo it's what iweb should be. You can even combine with iweb. HYPE IS AWESOME.
    Just had a look, and it's recently had a very dramatic hike in price, but I would say it's very much still worth it.

Thank Post
    Sorry for third post lol, quite passionate about this subject! There is also Rapidweaver Web Design Software for Mac - RapidWeaver - Overview which is good for sites with multiple pages. But personally I would try HYPE.

Thank Post
    As far as I'm aware iWeb stores all of it's information in a domain file inside each user's library folder > Application Support > iWeb.

As long as this is backed up regularly (daily), you should be able to restore any corrupt files. Having said that , iWeb hasn't had an update really for a while. I think it may well disappear in the next update, if there is one.

But the alternatives @mr_moonface has posted seem to be quite decent.

Also if you have issues with uploading to an FTP site using Apple's FTP service then take a look at the guide I uploaded to configure IIS to be used instead. This makes the whole process a lot more easier as I ran into endless issues with permissions with Apple's FTP config file becoming corrupt.

Thank Post
    I would recommend Rapidweaver. I agree with HodgeHi that iWeb will probably get dropped soon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JR-PCS View Post
    I would recommend Rapidweaver. I agree with HodgeHi that iWeb will probably get dropped soon.
    We never got around to using it here, have used it personally and thought it would be great for kids to get into web design, seems another interesting from apple to drop it. Unless they going to develop another web design app and not include it for free and sell it. Just looked at rapidweaver and it seems a much better tool.

Failing that, its dreamweaver

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread