+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Ipads and apps in Schools in Technical; Hi Guys, Hope someone may have some guidance regards deploying apps on ipads in a school environment, I have a ...

Thank Post

Ipads and apps in Schools

Hi Guys,
    Hope someone may have some guidance regards deploying apps on ipads in a school environment, I have a Lion server that I will be using to configure the ipads when i get them in the next week or so but was wondering how you guys manage your apps for these regards to how you achieve this using itunes. A lot of the info I have found is conflicting and very grey, any tips would be great.

Regards

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Without meaning to sound rude possibly it would have been better to work these things out before buying the iPads?

Thank Post
    In an ideal world that would be great but when someone buys kit without consulting you we have to make the best of a situation, as many of you will no boubt have experience of.

Thank Post
    Thanks to no VPP system in place for UK yet, you have two choices. Users are issued a voucher to purchase required apps... and devices are used as personal devices, Or... Try to use them as shared devices where a master iPad is used to purchase apps. Back it up in iTunes. Set all other iPads up as a restore of the master. Use voucher to cover cost of apps, don't tie your institution account to a credit/debit card. In 'store' preferences tell each iPad to auto download new purchases, then you simply purchase an app on the master iPad and it'll automagically appear on the others, or leave it off and manually kick off a wifi sync for each device when new apps are purchased.

You'll need master accounts for every group of ten devices.

Then delve into the restriction settings in profile manager to prevent users doing anything you'd rather they didn't.

If going with first option, set up a course on your VLE with links to necessary apps and setup guides (eg: guide to adding AD shares in FileBrowser app), but pre enrol each device with MDM before handout so that you can manage the device (remote lock / wipe, minimum passcode strength settings etc)

Whilst MDM implies & refers to the ability to deploy apps, this only works for self-authored enterprise apps, not regular AppStore apps.
    Last edited by Marci; 23rd April 2012 at 06:04 PM.

5. Thanks to Marci from:

speckytecky (23rd April 2012)

Thank Post
    I'd also suggest a separate vlan with it's own dhcp and dns, with each device allocated ip via dhcp reservation, and a proxy set to ident by IP, that way you can still filter net access by IP range etc, and ensure staff keep a record of which student uses which device during the lesson (if they're for student use) or you have a list of which member of staff has which device by MAC id (if they're for staff use) so that you can identify users from their IP in the logs. In these instances, use MDM to prevent changes to network config.

Add extra NICs/virtual adapters for the new vlan to any local servers you may need to access, ensuring that you can't route thru to traverse onto other vlans, to retain access to network shares / local web services.
    Last edited by Marci; 23rd April 2012 at 06:12 PM.

7. Thanks to Marci from:

speckytecky (23rd April 2012)

Thank Post
    You can deploy apps with MDM solutions but its very very expensive! You can send application gifts to users if you have a list of email address.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speckled View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Hope someone may have some guidance regards deploying apps on ipads in a school environment, I have a Lion server that I will be using to configure the ipads when i get them in the next week or so but was wondering how you guys manage your apps for these regards to how you achieve this using itunes. A lot of the info I have found is conflicting and very grey, any tips would be great.

Regards
    Have you seen the RM Tech Seminar threads? Are there any in your area as this is one of the workshops that would interest you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You are quite right Glenda but I had the same problem coming up to the end of the FY a sister school is well into these devices and my teachers liked the way they use them there so before I could blink these devices started to appear then I was requested to get them set up with access. First time I had touched one so heck of a steep learning curve!

Still very much ongoing!

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Without meaning to sound rude possibly it would have been better to work these things out before buying the iPads?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    That's where you have an SLT that listen to you and finance staff who give you the heads up to make sire the stuff being ordered is correct and not teachers doing things on a wim - our head has actually donated his own iPad for testing of what they can use them for. He prefers his HP Touchpad to his iPad as he just can't get on with it and hes an iPhone fanboy.

12. Thanks to glennda from:

speckytecky (24th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Hiya...

several weeks ago the school (against my will) purchased 16 iPad2s, Sync/Charging cabinet, Mac Mini server and a Macbook (all part of a bundle from a company that shall not be named because of their very poor after care service....well not the company itself but the Sales 'manager' i had to deal with...but thats a different story for a different day)

anyway back on track....

the main issues that I faced was that the ipads couldnt surf the internet and look at 'wiki' pages on the mac server at the same time. This was due to conflicts with EMBC and proxy settings etc.

To get round the embc/proxy conflict, I installed Squidman on the Mac server. using this program you can set proxies and exceptions here. The ipad setting for the proxy is made to look at the IP address allocated to the Mac server on port 8080. Within Squidman the normal embc proxy gumpf is entered.

Been testing for 2 days and it has been working with no problems.

Regarding apps etc...
    The way I got around this was to use the Macbook to control the iPads. Macbook has iTunes installed and via USB it is connected the Sync/Charge cabinet.

Once iTunes is launched, any apps downloaded for free or purchased, automatically sync to all the iPads.

Hope that this makes some sense as it did in my head but to me its very very early in the morning lol

Cheers

Cookie

Thank Post
    Thanks Cookie_Monsta, this was what I had in my head sort of: itunes set up on the lion server with master account which purchases the apps, then gift them to the ipads or sync using the same itunes account from the lion server.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm at the Apple Leadership Summit and will have more info later.

16. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

speckytecky (24th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozzer View Post
    You can deploy apps with MDM solutions but its very very expensive! You can send application gifts to users if you have a list of email address.
    Sorry but Apps can not be deployed in Europe using any MDM solution yet as they all use Apple US only VPP program to embed the redeem codes into the profile, using application gifts to users just sends that user an email with the link to the App and implies that the iPads are being rolled out on a 1:1 basis.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'll be doing a comprehensive blog post shortly on gifting, but a if you have a read through Fraser Speir's blog Fraser Speirs - Blog you will find a wealth of information.

Thank Post
    The 10 device limit applies to iCloud services. You can sync an unlimited number of iOS devices to a single iTunes account.

20. Thanks to Destinova from:

Marci (25th April 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast