+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Proxy Setting on a MAC Laptop in Technical; Hi We have just got some Mac laptops for the teacher's here is there script or program which would let ...

Thank Post

Proxy Setting on a MAC Laptop

Hi

We have just got some Mac laptops for the teacher's here is there script or program which would let them switch off and on the proxy setting from the desktop i have shown them how to do it from the wireless setting but it too difficult for them to do!!! Guest itís my own fault for putting a script on their windows laptops to do it for them.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    If you use a proxy configuration script you can have the macs and windows machines "automatically detect" proxy settings.

Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank Post
    The other method is that in the network configuration bit (Right/Control Click the Wifi Icon in the task bar area, choose "Open Network Preferences").

At the top of the page that appears you have a drop down list (certainly there in Snow Leopard and Lion) called Location. Default is Automatic, but you can Edit locations in there and add in several, so on my own mac I have a profile for home, an auto profile for when I'm out and about on random WiFi (Starbuck, MaccyD's etc) and various school profiles. They each have their own WiFi settings and required proxy / ignore local settings in and I just go in and switch between them and it sets them all for me (I wish I'd noticed it sooner actually as I've only just started using it as I've been going in and doing it all manually each time for AGES! lol)

So go in, set up the various settings you need, you can then padlock the system pane to ensure others can only change the drop down and not edit the various settings if you like.

4. Thanks to soveryapt from:

DEfrostphone (23rd March 2012)

Thank Post
    Locations I have found the best way to setting proxy settings. In some instance some places I have worked with have had firefox for home use which has no proxy settings and safari for when they are in work. I think locations are a much better way.

Ross

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Locations is the easy way to do it. I have 5 different locations set up on mine depending on where I am working and requiring different proxies and other configs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    at least with pac files they are independent of O/S . auto config at home -> no problem. Auto config at school -> no problem. Auto config at another school -> sorry we don't do it that way...

rdk

Thank Post
    Also use locations here. We preset a location called "school" with all the school proxies, and a location called "home" with no proxies. After that it's up to the kids and staff to sort it out themselves.

Thank Post
    As far as Im aware auto proxy discovery was only introduced in Lion. I may be wrong though, I usually am

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread