+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, AD home folders on osx 10.6 server in Technical; We have setup a magic triangle where mac clients are dual-directory bound, using AD for auth. Plan is to have ...

Thank Post

AD home folders on osx 10.6 server

We have setup a magic triangle where mac clients are dual-directory bound, using AD for auth. Plan is to have 10.6 server
    storing the home folders.

In AD Users are setup with UNC paths to connect to a home folder located on an osx 10.6 'home' share. afp and smb enabled
    on the 10.6 server box.

What ACL and other permissions should be set on the root 'home' share containing all users folders in WGM ? So that users' home folders
    can be created on login and there's security to ensure that users only see their own homefolders and not others.

Is it a case of adding exactly the same ACL share permissions as you would if hosting homes on a w2k8 box ? will this work without
    hitch. Or should specific ACL permissions be set at the volume level ?

Also, what's the best practice for chosing protocol type when using home folder syncing ? Does syncing work if the AD plugin on the client
    is setup to use smb as the method to derive network home location ?

Thank Post
    just a follow up to this;

we're now looking into setting up mobile accounts/home folders. The home folders are created locally under /Users when the AD users log on, but i don't see
    an option to sync home folders to the network.

i thought it would be possible for us to have the users' windows h: drive (\\windowsserver\home\%username% in AD) as an smb share after logging into OSX.

But then how do you point the afp:// osx mobile home directory to a location on the mac server in a dual directory setup ? if i check derive UNC path from AD i won't be able to have the above windows stored homedir, will i ?

Thank Post
    Hi Mate,

bit confused on this.

You have Windows Network - setup ok with users accessing Windows machines,

You have a Mac suite bound to AD for Authentication - this allows users to login to AD and grab Active directory properties i.e Home area and drives, for portable homes drives best way to do it by setting up a group in WGM on ldap for machines and also users then add your users from AD into that group - then edit the Preferences under mobility - all your synch options are there - but beware this can have adverse effects n your network. and what ever you do dont try to do it on wireless machines

do you need to keep the windows side of things in tact ? i.e Mapped drives and profile area?? if so then you need to do all the work from LDAP on WGM and not in AD.

I have a few scripts to automount drives - smb shares etc tot the desktop if you require them...

PM me your personal email and i'll try to help you further

cheers

Stu

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread